Failed fittings at Bathroom Sink (Casita) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2021, 08:32 PM   #1

Name: Chandler
Trailer: Casita
Utah
Failed fittings at Bathroom Sink (Casita)

More Photos for Clarity

https://i.imgur.com/D9HbLfQ.jpg

Both my hot and cold lines were leaking (a lot) when I turned on my water pump for the first time this year.
I did troubleshooting and realized the failure is on that brass pex-to-faucet fitting.

Taking it apart, you can see that the rubber washers inside the plastic thumb screws have separated from the brass itself, making a bad connection.

I planned to cut the Pex, add a shark bite connector, and then reconnect the faucet with some 1/2” to 1/2” hose.

The problem is, there isn’t enough room to add the hose where casita basically has it all rigid from the pex to the fitting to the faucet. I got it mocked up, and even if I can fudge it to fit, I feel like the threaded piece on the faucet is going to be torqued pretty hard and will fail pretty soon.

I feel like I need a shark it equivalent to the compression fitting that was in there. But can’t seem to find the right part.

Any suggestions?
elswenso89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 07:38 AM   #2

Name: Joel
Trailer: shopping
Tx
Why not run the braided hose from the closet side. That way you dont have to kink it where it hooks up to the faucet.
jeepers29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 04:16 PM   #3

Utah
I couldn’t do that without drilling larger holes to get through the wall with the fittings, then I’m afraid I’d have a leak around the braided hose.
Old 05-13-2021, 05:09 PM   #4

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
I think you should have replaced the original fittings with a normal PEX replacement.
But knowing NOTHING about PEX, maybe I'm wrong.

It looks like you made a job more difficult by cutting out the PEX before you had a replacement plan.

I'm sorry I can't help more. I don't have experience with this kind of thing.

You'll get something working I'm sure.
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 05:38 PM   #5

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
I removed the entire plastic corner sink and replaced the whole kit and caboodle with a new stainless steel sink, along with redoing all the plumbing connections and a new HepVo drain line waste valve to replace the "P" trap under the sink. I also got rid of the silly shower hose connection coming out of the top of the top of the sink faucet, which was replaced with a stand-alone quick disconnect shower wand hose plug in.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0001 (2).jpg   IMG_0001 (3).jpg  

Shower Hose.jpg   IMG_0007 (1).jpg  

IMG_0006 (3).jpg   IMG_0016 (2).jpg  

IMG_0025.JPG   IMG_0001 (5).JPG  

IMG_0004 (5).JPG  
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 07:50 PM   #6

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanKilian View Post
I think you should have replaced the original fittings with a normal PEX replacement.
But knowing NOTHING about PEX, maybe I'm wrong.

It looks like you made a job more difficult by cutting out the PEX before you had a replacement plan.

I'm sorry I can't help more. I don't have experience with this kind of thing.

You'll get something working I'm sure.

You’re not wrong. The problem is that to use those Pex fittings, you need to fit a compression tool. This is night impossible without removing the sink basin, and I’d rather replace Pex and fittings than try to drill out those rivets that go through the shower only, and stop short of the exterior.

I was able to fit a 90 on the hot water that allows me clearance for the braided hose to connect to the faucet, but there wasn’t enough meat on the cold water line to work with.

Im going to have to replace the compression fitting on the closet side with a shark bite, add a new piece of Pex, then add the 90 with hose connector like I have done successfully on the hot water side.
Old 05-13-2021, 07:52 PM   #7

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
I removed the entire plastic corner sink and replaced the whole kit and caboodle with a new stainless steel sink, along with redoing all the plumbing connections and a new HepVo drain line waste valve to replace the "P" trap under the sink. I also got rid of the silly shower hose connection coming out of the top of the top of the sink faucet, which was replaced with a stand-alone quick disconnect shower wand hose plug in.
That’s a really nice setup. I actually have a hepvo kit that I haven’t installed yet. Didn’t realize it could be installed on that lateral.
Old 05-22-2021, 06:28 PM   #8

Name: Terry
Trailer: Gulfstream
Memphis
Quote:
Originally Posted by elswenso89 View Post
More Photos for Clarity

https://i.imgur.com/D9HbLfQ.jpg

Both my hot and cold lines were leaking (a lot) when I turned on my water pump for the first time this year.
I did troubleshooting and realized the failure is on that brass pex-to-faucet fitting.

Taking it apart, you can see that the rubber washers inside the plastic thumb screws have separated from the brass itself, making a bad connection.

I planned to cut the Pex, add a shark bite connector, and then reconnect the faucet with some 1/2” to 1/2” hose.

The problem is, there isn’t enough room to add the hose where casita basically has it all rigid from the pex to the fitting to the faucet. I got it mocked up, and even if I can fudge it to fit, I feel like the threaded piece on the faucet is going to be torqued pretty hard and will fail pretty soon.

I feel like I need a shark it equivalent to the compression fitting that was in there. But can’t seem to find the right part.

Any suggestions?
https://www.amazon.com/Watts-Connect...58&s=hi&sr=1-3

or maybe: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rv+pex+fi...f=nb_sb_noss_1
THene1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 02:44 PM   #9

Name: Doug
Trailer: Casita SD 17'
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Nice! I replaced my kitchen sink with a deep SS sink. Your bathroom SS conversion is inspiring! Where did you buy the sink and recessed SS box and also the black shelves in your closet?
doctoruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 06:06 AM   #10

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctoruv View Post
Nice! I replaced my kitchen sink with a deep SS sink. Your bathroom SS conversion is inspiring! Where did you buy the sink and recessed SS box and also the black shelves in your closet?
Thanks Doug,
Here's links to the bathroom sink and recessed stainless steel shelf I installed.

Unfortunately, those closet shelves are no longer being made, but I have to say they are great. Many people who have seen them want them, but production costs were too high for the company to keep making them. Pity, because they are one of my favorite upgrades.

https://www.restaurantsupply.com/kro...nd-5-deep-bowl

https://www.prodryers.com/asi-0412-r...eel-with-sati/

And in my galley, I also replaced the "birdbath" sink with a deep one. (And my upgraded galley stove to replace the old Suburban with this Dometic 2-burner unit. Push button Piezo burner igniters and flush mount installation too!)

Sink: https://www.katom.com/381-HS1419.html

Stove: https://pantherrvproducts.com/50216/
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0005.jpg   IMG_0015.jpg  

closet1.JPG  
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita