Filling fresh water tank - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2012, 07:12 PM   #1

Name: Tim
Trailer: Scamp 16' Deluxe side bath
Minnesota
Filling fresh water tank

Hi folks,

I have a 16' scamp and when camping without water nearby I usually haul a couple 5 gal containers with spouts which I then have to lift and pour into the receiver cup for the fresh water tank. These are hard to hold while waiting for them to fully drain.

Does anyone have a better way of filling the tank other than driving to a water source with a hose. I usually fill my fresh water tank once a day.

Thanks,

Tim
swenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:16 PM   #2

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
All I use is a 2 1/2 jug, if no water fill station we fill from nearest spigot, then set up camp. We only use minimal water since if I do fill it up (and water heater) I tend to drain almost half of what I put in before we leave so now I basically only fill to get water heater going then fill as necessary. We are only weekend or three day campers so that might make a difference to
My daugher cracked my old filler by resting spout on it when pouring
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:42 PM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I use a long flexible line that can be snaked down into the tank, and attache it to a funnel. You can rapidly fill as the air escapes around the tube and doesn't slow down the filling process.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Check out this thread:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ces-41624.html

This is a thread that I started. But it became really involved and you should find some really good ideas. Our fresh water system is based on the ideas found in this thread, and it works great for us!

Good luck!
Old 08-23-2012, 10:48 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I have seen people use various small pumps to pump the water from the portable water jugs into the trailer. Something like this would work.

I tend to use only small 5 gallon jugs for topping up my tanks as well for the reason you state. I fill it up at the last possible spot to do so before heading into the dry camp. When filling I also make sure the pump is on so that the hot water tank fills and I go inside and flush the toilet a couple of times to get some water in the hot water tank to start out with. Wth two people showering I can usually get by for a couple of days without refilling the tanks. Are you also having to drain off your grey tank every other day as well? If not then perhaps the tank isnt actually filling all the way the first time you fill.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:59 AM   #6

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Here's something you could try. We once saw a guy filling the tank on his VW camper with a coffee pot. Probably took a while and got him some exercise walking from the spigot to the camper. Pretty sure lifting the coffee pot didn't do anything bad to his back.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:22 AM   #7

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
a windshield washer pump is a good way to pump water from a container into holding tank. Their not too expensive and with a bit of wire and tubing you can make up a rig to do the job.

RRJR
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRJR View Post
a windshield washer pump is a good way to pump water from a container into holding tank. Their not too expensive and with a bit of wire and tubing you can make up a rig to do the job.

RRJR
Good idea. I bought a nice little 12 volt pump on eBay to make an outdoor shower.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
You could also use a hand pump used for winterizing with anti freeze. If you are using non toxic RV anti freeze and rinsed it out well after using the anti freeze it should be fine for fresh water use. Would make it a dual purpose small trailer item! ;-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #10
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I'm with Hambone, 2 1/2 gallon jug, about 20 lbs full. I bought two but in most cases only take one with us. If you can enlarge the breather, the flow is smoother. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:14 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I JUST read a great thread at CasitaForum about this issue. For those that are members: http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/...atering-stand/

for those that aren't, these two solutions were mentioned by satisifed users: Sierra Tools Battery-Operated Liquid Transfer Pump, Model# JB4840 and Super Siphon
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:27 PM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I JUST read a great thread at CasitaForum about this issue. For those that are members: http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/...atering-stand/

for those that aren't, these two solutions were mentioned by satisifed users: Sierra Tools Battery-Operated Liquid Transfer Pump, Model# JB4840 and Super Siphon

Harbor Freight has these, too, and for less $$
Old 08-28-2012, 12:24 AM   #13

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Here's what I use. You can use a hard sided container also or any water container for that matter.
Attached Thumbnails
109_7808.JPG  
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote