Fresh water tank hose connection - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #1

Trailer: 1980 17 ft Boler (named Beatrice)
Send a message via MSN to Kathy L
Question Fresh water tank hose connection

Hello all... I have just pulled my 1980 - 17 ft. Boler out from under her tent... we are off camping on Monday so she needs her bath and fill up... unfortunately her fresh water hose line was hanging down and so I crawled under to have a look.
The male end of the tank fitting is sitting inside the hose and has snapped off from the large knuckle connection that is in the tank....
I was wondering if anyone knew if that fitting can be removed from the tank and replaced.... I have the tools necessary to remove it if, big IF, I can get it loose.. I know this forum has many great talents in it so thought I would put this out there to see if there are any recommendations. Not a problem to take it somewhere other than the time set aside to camp and the folks we are going with... I can do it on in the campsite if I can get a proper fitting.
Cheers and thanks to any response to the above... Kathy
Kathy L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I think you are saying that part of the fitting has broken off and is threaded into the tank and needs to be removed. Is that it? A picture would help. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #3

Actually it is the male part of the tank connection that has broken off inside the supply hose... the large knuckle end of that fitting is still on the tank... sorry but don't have a clue how to post a picture...
I would like to know if I could turn out the fitting that is left on the tank and replace it with new... I believe my hose is long enough if I can get a new fitting with a male end to attach the hose to.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #4

I am making an assumption that it is threaded into the tank and therefore can be turned out.... I just reread your post.. hopefully on the same page now... thank you for your interest.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
Raz

Most of those fittings have a pipe thread end that screws into the tank and a hose fitting end onto which the hose is clamped. The threaded part should have a place to put a wrench. Unscrew with a wrench. Take the pieces to a hardware store and they should have a replacement. You will also need a sealant like Teflon tape to seal the new threads into the tank fitting.
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2012, 07:11 PM   #6

Thank you so much... after looking at it again... that is exactly what I intend to do... the fitting is white, much larger than the fitting in you're picture and does not have as much of a "grab" for the wrench... almost looks like a 1.5" ABS clean out nut without as much depth for the wrench to fit on... I am pretty sure this is the second tank on this trailer so hopefully the fitting will come out relatively easy. I do have teflon on hand so that won't be a problem... best get it out and track down the right size.
Thank you for your help as it is nice to have someone confirm what you are thinking...
Old 08-18-2012, 08:00 PM   #7

I just came out from under and found out the main connection is "welded" into the water tank and there is an threaded internal connection that has the male end attached to it that just threads into the main housing on the tank... just came out with a wrench with lots of teflon tape on it... now I am scratching my head as to what it would be called... 1 1/8" outside thread on the male that goes into my water hose and and threaded section that screws into the housing on the tank... I am trying to find parts on an RV parts website but I may have to go into a plumbing website... it is a white/translucent plastic product...
I must say it is a learning experience working on these old trailers...
Old 08-19-2012, 02:38 AM   #8
Raz

That stuff is usually standard pipe thread. A hardware store should have it. Sounds like you are on your way to having it fixed. Good luck, Raz
Old 08-19-2012, 10:27 AM   #9

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I think what you have is a hose barb nipple if it's the "fresh water fill" with large diameter (1 1/8" or 1 1/4" or 1 3/8" i.d.) Smoothbor held by hose clamp to the barbed end. Try "hose barb nipple" in your searches or enquiries. The city water is a different animal with no tank unless you have a water heater tank. The thread to the tank female should be iron pipe thread as stated previously.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #10

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Barb Adapter for Water Fill Spouts
or
http://www.camperpartsworld.com/Barb...aterFillSpouts

Measure what you have and substitute the numbers if necessary.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote