Fridge...used vs new - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2015, 03:06 PM   #1

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
Fridge...used vs new

Sadly, it appears the trav'ler fridge in our new to us scamp is not functional. (If they say they don't know, it usually doesn't. )

Anyway, new or used fridge? I usually buy used on most things, but thoughts on the smartness of that with a fridge?
Zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:25 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I always buy used fridges. They don't make them the correct size any more. What could go wrong? Just make sure the one you buy works. Have them plug it in the day before you go look at it. Have them put a plastic cup with water in the freezer. Also look for frost on the freezer walls.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 04:18 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Jennifer whether you get a new or old fridge may depend on your style of camping. If you always plug in then there is no big advantage to either. If you do a lot of off grid camping and want to be able to run the fridge of 12V, the newer fridges are no where nears as battery hungry as the older ones. Then again if the fridge has a propane option that is always a better way to go when camping off the grid and trying to save battery power.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:09 PM   #4

Alberta
Registry
Carol, I could be wrong, but if it is a propane fridge, then it is likely a 12 VDC power hog, no matter the vintage. As I understand it, the 12 VDC and 120 VAC operation use a heater that takes the place of the flame. This necessarily means on the order of 200 W.

If I am missing a new technological development, I would love to hear about it.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:41 PM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Before you give up on that fridge, pull it out and turn it over for the night and turn right side up and plug it in. Wait about an hour and check for heat from the heater area on the right side to make sure the heater is working. If not then you will have to check the heater element. Then put it back in the trailer and hook up the propane(check connection with soapy water). Fire up the propane and let it sit overnight and see if it works. Good luck and if you need a replacement , look for someone gutting a tent trailert, they have the small fridges and most people have no clue what they are worth. I bought 2 for $40 each

Dometic service manual
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:54 PM   #6

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Carol, are you referring to the newer DC compressor units with regard to less power usage. Your typical three way refer is still using resistance heat, with the consequent high amperage burn.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:59 PM   #7

Colorado
Registry
We do almost entirely off the grid camping; I can't remember the last place that had a plug! Looking to keep propane as the main option, I think?

Dudley, I will try that! Nothing to lose, it's coming out if it's broken anyway! Are the Dometics and Trav'lers the same company? (Or simply basically the same).
Old 08-24-2015, 08:52 PM   #8

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Sorry , didn't notice the manufacturers name so thought it was a Dometic. Yours should be very close to the same thing. Here is a link to the owners manual

Just found this for a fridge"burping procedure"
Put it on its side for 3 minutes
Put it on its top for 3 minutes
Put it on its other side for 3 minutes
Put it on its top for 3 minutes
Put it on side one for 3 minutes
Put it upright
tilted it forward at a 45 degree angle for 3 minutes
Tilted it backward at a 45 degree angle for 3 minutes

travlers owner manual
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:28 PM   #9

Colorado
Registry
I'm going to try that. It's not visibly leaking anything noxious or visibly broken, so fingers crossed that it will work!
Old 08-25-2015, 10:31 AM   #10

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
[QUOTE=Zennifer;544189]We do almost entirely off the grid camping; I can't remember the last place that had a plug! Looking to keep propane as the main option, I think? [QUOTE]

It is my plan to eventually move to a lot more boondocking and toward that end I purchased and installed a 12V compressor refrigerator and dual 6V golf cart batteries. I have also purchased and tested (played with), but not yet installed, a solar system to recharge the batteries.

I have not used it enough nor under enough different circumstances to 100% recommend this approach to someone else. But, I have used it enough to satisfy myself that it was the right choice for us.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:42 AM   #11

Alberta
Registry
I would agree with Tim. A good 12 VDC compressor fridge, with sufficient solar power would be my ideal boondocking fridge.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:37 AM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Carol, I could be wrong, but if it is a propane fridge, then it is likely a 12 VDC power hog, no matter the vintage. As I understand it, the 12 VDC and 120 VAC operation use a heater that takes the place of the flame. This necessarily means on the order of 200 W.

If I am missing a new technological development, I would love to hear about it.
Nope you haven't.

As I stated if you the fridge has a propane option on it one is going to use that if max power saving is wanted, so whether or not it is a 12v hog or not really does not matter.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:54 AM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
Carol, are you referring to the newer DC compressor units with regard to less power usage. Your typical three way refer is still using resistance heat, with the consequent high amperage burn.

Here is what I said.

"If you do a lot of off grid camping and want to be able to run the fridge of 12V, the newer fridges are no where near as battery hungry as the older ones. Then again if the fridge has a propane option that is always a better way to go when camping off the grid and trying to save battery power."

Not sure why more is being read into this than should be

What I was attempting to say is:

A new 12V fridge is going to be more efficient than an older fridge regarding power consumption. And yes I was thinking a new compressed type 12V only fridge when I wrote that.

If one is wanting a fridge that uses little to no 12V power to run then a fridge running on propane would be the way to go whether it be a new fridge or an old one.

Hopefully we all agree to the above
Old 08-25-2015, 12:00 PM   #14

Colorado
Registry
Hmmm....looks like I should research 12v vs propane fridges in case this doesn't end up working. (Fx it does after "burping", however!!!!)
Old 08-25-2015, 12:05 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Rather than relying on battery power and possibly running down your batter so that you don't have heat or refrigeration try thinking of the fridge running propane as an ice chest without the ice. That is the cooling properties of an ice chest are worse than the propane fridge. So if you pack stuff that doesn't need a lot of refrigeration you don't have fuss with battery powered refrigeration and it associated initial costs.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:07 PM   #16

Registry
If I needed to replace my fridge I think I would want to buy new. There's no telling what kind of food, mildew and mold were left behind in a used fridge. The insides of some the used fridges can be pretty nasty, even if they look clean.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:09 PM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Rather than relying on battery power and possibly running down your batter so that you don't have heat or refrigeration try thinking of the fridge running propane as an ice chest without the ice. That is the cooling properties of an ice chest are worse than the propane fridge. So if you pack stuff that doesn't need a lot of refrigeration you don't have fuss with battery powered refrigeration and it associated initial costs.
Huh? I'm missing your point..
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 12:10 PM   #18

Colorado
Registry
I am also confused by this? My FIL's propane fridge does a great job on propane...
Old 08-25-2015, 12:17 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Huh? I'm missing your point..

Sorry to confuse you. The point is appliances that use battery power use battery power. A propane fridge uses very little propane, no battery.
Initial cost of going with a battery only fridge includes additional battery, altering battery location to accommodate additional batteries. Solar cost go up as solar wattage is needed. A 50 Watt panel is alot cheaper than a 200 watt panel. Charge controller prices go up with wattage. Thus initial costs go up.
Since the furnace requires battery to run the fan, thus provide heat with a dead battery you don't heat and if you have a battery only fridge no fridge.

Clearer?
Old 08-25-2015, 12:21 PM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zennifer View Post
I am also confused by this? My FIL's propane fridge does a great job on propane...
My Dometic also works good, however it's a little difficult sometimes to control temperature, I've had everything freeze inside the fridge.

If you've ever camped with an ice chest, you generally pack food that doesn't require heavy refrigeration, at least I didn't. To me the same thing should be true in small refrigerators, like an ice chest but don't need ice. However if they not working Ice works just fine.

Most weekenders don't need a lot.

Tags
fridge