Furnace turns on when it's off - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2015, 06:46 PM   #1

Name: Greg
Trailer: Casita 17' SD
Oregon
Furnace turns on when it's off

Last night was my first in my new (used) 17' SD. All went fine -- except I was awakened repeatedly during the night by my heater turning on. (Not the heat strip in the air conditioner, but the gas "furnace.") I checked and the thermostat was all the way (and clicked) to the left. It would run for maybe 3-4 minutes, then turn off. Then do so again an hour or two later. Very annoying! I didn't know what to do.

Should I just go ahead and have the thermostat replaced? Could it be something else?

Tangentially, is there a way the heater can be turned off? I guess I could turn off the propane, yes?

Help!
gsmccar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:09 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Remove the thermostat from the wall and disconnect the wires connected to the thermostat .Test the thermostat with an ohm meter to see if the thermostat is working properly .I used a hair dryer, set on low to simulate a rise in temperature to see if the thermostat opened on temperature rise. The lockout detent is mechanical and can be visually examined
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:18 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I'd just replace the thermostat. Digital ones are cheap these days and work far better.

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 05:21 PM   #4

Name: Greg
Trailer: Casita 17' SD
Oregon
So I called Casita and finally got the problem diagnosed figured out: the little plastic tab on the switch that breaks the connection when the thermostat is turned off had snapped off. Not obvious!

Of course, I can't just replace the plastic switch top, but need to replace the entire thermostat (or just keep sticking a piece of rubber or something in there to break the connection. Kind of a pain -- but cheap!).

As suggested, replacing it with a digital thermostat sounds good. But first off, to remove the old one, I will need to drill out the rivets that attach it to the wall. Is that no biggie? And then the new one, I guess, would likewise be riveted to the wall, yes? I do have a rivet gun -- which I have yet to use.
gsmccar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 05:46 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Greg you have my sympathy. Years ago I was out camping, propane shut off, furnace thermostat shut off (I thought) and at night the temperature dropped inside the trailer into the low 40s... the Suburban tried to come on. I thought a Boeing 747 was trying to land on the roof. Shot out of bed, heart pumping, trying to figure out what was what! Yep, disconnected that crappy thermostat before the next trip. I still haven't replaced it... that's on the to-do list.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:04 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
A previous owner of our Casita intentionally broke off the on / off lever on the thermostat. Stated he would hit it with his foot when in bed and turn the furnace on (or maybe it was off?) We haven't used the furnace, but to do so we can pop off the thermostat cover and move the switch. We prefer an electric heater
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:17 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I suggest putting the new thermostat on with 3M VHB tape instead of rivets. Not like it's an incredibly heavy item.

But then again, I'm not into drilling holes or even hardware (especially rivets.)

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:45 PM   #8

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
I had the same thing happen to the thermostat in our Scamp. I ripped it off the cabinet, disconnected the wires and touched them together when I needed heat. On our most recent trip, I bought a thermostat at Home Depo and installed it.

Tags
furnace