Grey water tank - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2014, 02:05 PM   #1

Trailer: scamp
Wisconsin
Grey water tank

New scamp owners. We love it. Delux with the front shower. However I NEED SOME HELP. I need a grey water tank, it is cracked bad. I have been trying to contact scamp for 3 days, must be real busy in parts. Anyone know where else I can get one? thanks
scamp2003wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:40 PM   #2

Wisconsin
Finally got a call back, 160 just for shipping to Wisconsin? Do they ship it full? ha. I am going to try and fix it or look elsewhere for something.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:12 PM   #3

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Any idea what specific plastic the cracked tank is made of?

Some plastics simply won't hang onto conventional patching compounds/tapes etc., but may be actually "weldable" by special processes; some of which processes are not outside the capability of a reasonably competent do-it-yourselfer.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:59 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
This is the company who's tag was on the tank I bought from Scamp. RV Waste Holding Tanks | Side Drain RV Holding Tank Replacement
They just sell you the tank, Scamp configures all the input and vent fittings for your specific trailer configuration. I think Icons price was more than Scamps with the ABS fittings and valves and shipping. Scamp had quoted me about $100 for shipping but they only billed me about $85 about a year ago.
I ordered a blank 0 degree axle for about $200 and gained a little over 2" in clearance, but you also raise your hitch.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:05 PM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I doubt if Scamp is using shipping as a profit center. Those tanks come in in batches, in large crates, but they have to custom build smaller crates to ship one.

Google "RV holding tanks" and you will find a number of suppliers. But I'll bet that shipping is about the same and they may not be able to spin in the fittings in exactly the right place.

I found a generic 15 gallon, flat top holding tank to use in our 13' Scamp in the back room of a local RV shop. It was $50, no shipping..... a seldom found deal, but you might call and ask the local dealers. I have also seen holding tanks in Craigslist from RV's that are being parted out.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:47 AM   #6

Wisconsin
Thanks. I didn't mean scamp making a profit from the shipping. Just the shipping cost seemed high. The old one is pretty light. I will likely order from scamp, at least I know it's right. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1401367548.484609.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	226.9 KB
ID:	71684Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1401367561.841553.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	71685

Must have froze with the previous owner. Must have been full.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:06 AM   #7

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Freight companies charge by weight and volume. In this case most of the cost involves the size of the huge box necessary to contain and protect the tank. The box takes up so much room in the truck they charge a lot. These volume charges have really increased over the past few years, especially after UPS went public. My large toys cost a fortune to deliver and I think I buy UPS a new truck every year. Largish 25 pound packages are routinely charged at the 45 pound rate. The holding tank is much larger and the cost doesn't surprise me.
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:08 AM   #8

Wisconsin
So I ended up repairing the tank. I bought some black abs plastic and drilled the ends of the crack to keep or from spreading. I then used abs cement and silicone around the parameter and riveted a patch on. I the used rubber undercoating (bedliner) over the top. Seems to work great so far. If it makes it two years I'll be happy, then I'll get a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-22-2014, 10:59 AM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
You could also drive to Scamp and save the freight cost . We live in Wisconsin and Scamp is only a 3 hour drive , We have driven there several times and simply made it our monthly camping trip . Brainerd Mn is right by Backus and has tons of things to see and places to camp
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:02 AM   #10

Wisconsin
Hey thanks a lot. Maybe next year. Looks like about a six hour trip from here.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV