Grey water tank questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2022, 05:49 AM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul
SE Pennsylvania
Grey water tank questions

I recently received a new 17' Happier Camper. Previous to this we had a 13' U-Haul that the previous owner took out all of the water system. So I am learning about all of the systems.

We ordered it with a fresh water tank and a grey water tank. No black water because we installed a composting toilet.

The drain for the grey water tank is typical for RVs (I am told), 1.5" pipe from the tank to a gate valve with 4" pipe. My concern is that it hangs so low, 3.5" above the road. Surely it will get damaged when we drive over a pot hole or in the sometimes rough roads in a camp ground.

Since there is no black water tank (with solids) to drain, is 1.5" piping & 4" drain needed?

The piping crosses from the right side to the left side where the drain is. Could I remove that cross-over piping (and gate valve) and just put a ball valve with hose connection on the tank exit on the right side? When draining just connect a large garden hose (1" or 3/4") run it under the trailer to the dump tank (usually on the left I gather)?

Should there be an opening in the grey water tank to insert a water hose to rinse it out? Or is the hose simply inserted in the drain to flush/rinse out the tank?

A related question about the fresh water tank. There is a screw in drain plug. Would it be ok to install a ball valve so that it could be easily drained when leaving a camp site?

Your input is most appreciated.

~Craig T
Craig D. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 07:28 AM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
What you are proposing sounds very feasible. One thing, though, concerns voiding any trailer warranty with the changes. Also, draining the gray water through a garden hose with smaller diameter will slow things down at the dump station. Sounds like an interesting plan to avoid low clearances.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 02:10 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
My X22 only has a gray tank, no black tank. There is no need for a huge drain pipe or slinky to drain the tank.

On mine, I got an adapter drain cap that has a garden hose thread and garden hose cap. I just use a garden hose to dump the trailer, no slinky. I see no reason why you couldn't use 3/4" pipe from your tank and adapt it to garden hose.
Old 06-28-2022, 02:13 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I'd wait to replace it when has been damaged, if ever.
Old 06-28-2022, 08:04 PM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul
SE Pennsylvania
Your input is much appreciated.

I feel like the gate valve is so low if I do not remove it a pot hole will. It has already scraped a little on the road.

Should I rinse out the grey water tank? What is the procedure for that?

What do you folks think about a valve in the fresh water tank to empty before driving?

~Craig T
Craig D. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 08:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig D. Thompson View Post
What do you folks think about a valve in the fresh water tank to empty before driving?

~Craig T
I fill mine before heading to a campsite. It has a drain that I use for winterizing.
Attached Thumbnails
Fresh water tank.jpg  
Old 06-29-2022, 12:38 PM   #7

Name: Tony
Trailer: Boler
BC
Quote:
I recently received a new 17' Happier Camper. Previous to this we had a 13' U-Haul that the previous owner took out all of the water system. So I am learning about all of the systems.

We ordered it with a fresh water tank and a grey water tank. No black water because we installed a composting toilet.

The drain for the grey water tank is typical for RVs (I am told), 1.5" pipe from the tank to a gate valve with 4" pipe. My concern is that it hangs so low, 3.5" above the road. Surely it will get damaged when we drive over a pot hole or in the sometimes rough roads in a camp ground.

Since there is no black water tank (with solids) to drain, is 1.5" piping & 4" drain needed?

The piping crosses from the right side to the left side where the drain is. Could I remove that cross-over piping (and gate valve) and just put a ball valve with hose connection on the tank exit on the right side? When draining just connect a large garden hose (1" or 3/4") run it under the trailer to the dump tank (usually on the left I gather)?

Should there be an opening in the grey water tank to insert a water hose to rinse it out? Or is the hose simply inserted in the drain to flush/rinse out the tank?

A related question about the fresh water tank. There is a screw in drain plug. Would it be ok to install a ball valve so that it could be easily drained when leaving a camp site?

Your input is most appreciated.

~Craig T
You can go right back to the tank with a garden hose, tho Pex would be better, with a ball valve with hose spigot would be fine, the grey tank never needs washing as it is self cleaning as you drive. Only problem with using a hose for dumping is that you will not be able to leave it connected in a campground unless you have a cap for the inground sewer connection.
First mod we did with our Toyota Sunrader and then Boler, was to take out the toilet and put in a cassette, makes boondocking a pleasure as you can drop the grey water on the ground without harming the ecology. I always take out the fresh water tank's plug and put in a ball valve, that way you can empty the tank whenever the trailer is unoccupied.
Old 06-29-2022, 05:45 PM   #8

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Your input is much appreciated.

I feel like the gate valve is so low if I do not remove it a pot hole will. It has already scraped a little on the road.

Should I rinse out the grey water tank? What is the procedure for that?

~Craig T
You don't need to rinse the grey water tank. In 40 years we never have. If you want to try to rinse it then just run a lot of water down the sink drain to fill the tank and drain it. Putting a ball valve to drain the fresh water would work but then you risk kids opening it. Our tank has a screw on cap.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 06:48 PM   #9

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggcentric View Post
First mod we did with our Toyota Sunrader and then Boler, was to take out the toilet and put in a cassette, makes boondocking a pleasure as you can drop the grey water on the ground without harming the ecology.
It is illegal in most places to dump grey water on the ground. Even where it is legal, it is a disgusting mess of toothpaste, food scraps, and other detritus that is sent down your sink where it percolates in the grey water tank in the heat of the summer. Out of sight, out of mind, right? Wrong!

I, for one, have pulled into camp sites where someone has dumped grey water. Let me tell you how much that stinks in the hot summer sun. It's also very gross to have food scraps underfoot, all because someone doesn't want to spend a few minutes waiting in line at the dump station.

Do us all a favor and STOP DUMPING grey water at campsites. It is not clean, and it is definitely not appreciated by the next camper. It's GROSS and it's a very bad practice. Think how you would feel if someone dumped their grey water on your front lawn or driveway. ICK.
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 10:48 PM   #10

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by herons View Post
It is illegal in most places to dump grey water on the ground. Even where it is legal, it is a disgusting mess of toothpaste, food scraps, and other detritus that is sent down your sink where it percolates in the grey water tank in the heat of the summer. Out of sight, out of mind, right? Wrong!

I, for one, have pulled into camp sites where someone has dumped grey water. Let me tell you how much that stinks in the hot summer sun. It's also very gross to have food scraps underfoot, all because someone doesn't want to spend a few minutes waiting in line at the dump station.

Do us all a favor and STOP DUMPING grey water at campsites. It is not clean, and it is definitely not appreciated by the next camper. It's GROSS and it's a very bad practice. Think how you would feel if someone dumped their grey water on your front lawn or driveway. ICK.
It also brings in bears with the smell. It makes campgrounds a dangerous place for humans. Catch the water in a pail and dump it down the toilet in the campground if nothing else.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 11:16 PM   #11

BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by herons View Post

Wondered how long it would take for someone to jump on the grey water dump.
Am very concerned about our ecology, further my partner is a retired microbiologist, who understands the microbes that dwell in greywater.
In my grey water tank is shower water, veggie wash water and a little toothpaste and very little else. Anyone dumping grey water needs to be very conscious of the impact that water will have on people and the ecology.
Must admit that we have never camped in eastern high humidity regions.
In the desert thousands of RV's dump their grey water daily and the regions never suffer from the afflictions you talk of. We never dump in congested camping regions, only when we are off by ourselves. I have even been known to dump while driving along gravel roads in remote areas.
Dumping in an area that already is showing signs of bad practice (smells and decomposing solids) then. I agree would be criminal to add to the mess.
Done carefully and with respect it does not present any problem, and can even be used to help plants in dry areas.
Many homes dump their grey water onto their lawns and gardens, especially in arid areas such as So Cal & Ariz.
When we have visiting RV's on our property we have no objection to the rigs leaving their grey dump valves open, if it ever became a problem we would ask them to close the valves. The amount of water each of us uses for bathing and cooking is small and if disposed of throughout the day it is never troublesome, greywater only begins to stink when it is held for any length of time in the tank, drop it as you make it.
Old 06-30-2022, 12:51 PM   #12

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Wondered how long it would take for someone to jump on the grey water dump.

Am very concerned about our ecology, further my partner is a retired microbiologist, who understands the microbes that dwell in greywater.

In my grey water tank is shower water, veggie wash water and a little toothpaste and very little else. Anyone dumping grey water needs to be very conscious of the impact that water will have on people and the ecology.

Must admit that we have never camped in eastern high humidity regions.

In the desert thousands of RV's dump their grey water daily and the regions never suffer from the afflictions you talk of. We never dump in congested camping regions, only when we are off by ourselves. I have even been known to dump while driving along gravel roads in remote areas.

Dumping in an area that already is showing signs of bad practice (smells and decomposing solids) then. I agree would be criminal to add to the mess.

Done carefully and with respect it does not present any problem, and can even be used to help plants in dry areas.

Many homes dump their grey water onto their lawns and gardens, especially in arid areas such as So Cal & Ariz.

When we have visiting RV's on our property we have no objection to the rigs leaving their grey dump valves open, if it ever became a problem we would ask them to close the valves. The amount of water each of us uses for bathing and cooking is small and if disposed of throughout the day it is never troublesome, greywater only begins to stink when it is held for any length of time in the tank, drop it as you make it.

I have to agree. If I am on a campsite that prohibits gray water drainage I will comply. Most of the time it is permissible. If not I dump it on the side of the road. We don’t dump scrap food etc down into our gray tank.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 03:38 PM   #13

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Quote:
Wondered how long it would take for someone to jump on the grey water dump....
So just trolling, eh? Folks seem able to justify disregarding almost anything that inconveniences them. Kind of like people who don't wash their hands after a trip to the rest room.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:19 AM   #14

BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
So just trolling, eh? Folks seem able to justify disregarding almost anything that inconveniences them. Kind of like people who don't wash their hands after a trip to the rest room.
That was just part of my post, suggest you go back and read the whole thing.
Like the part that says microbiologist, and the part that says helps plants, and the part that says on my property.
8 years living on a sailboat, 12 years living in a motor coach, a total of 28 years owning and living in an RV.
5 times spending the winter in Mexico, on the beach boondocking has made me a troll?????
Old 07-02-2022, 11:19 AM   #15

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Okay....
Attached Thumbnails
missed point.png  
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 11:40 AM   #16

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape Trailer Industries 5.0TA
Missouri
I’ve been to rallies in Texas where they ask you to dump your grey water on the ground. The first reason is the soil needs needs the water. The second is if everyone is leaving at about the same time, and dumping at about the same time, it puts a strain on the disposal system at the campground. The Bluebonnet Rally has had 150 campers scheduled to leave on the same day. The host campground always wants the grey water dumped on the ground.
skipperclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 02:27 PM   #17

BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperclyde View Post
I’ve been to rallies in Texas where they ask you to dump your grey water on the ground. The first reason is the soil needs needs the water. The second is if everyone is leaving at about the same time, and dumping at about the same time, it puts a strain on the disposal system at the campground. The Bluebonnet Rally has had 150 campers scheduled to leave on the same day. The host campground always wants the grey water dumped on the ground.
Used to go to bus nuts coach rallies, and the owner there asked us to dump the grey water on his fields. We all had 50 gallon plus, grey tanks serving full kitchens and bathrooms, lots of grey water no problems.
Grey water can be a problem (smells) if you hold it for a few days, but on the ground plants love it, soapy water is often used to treat trees and plants to ward off fungi and harmful insects by organic farmers.
Old 07-02-2022, 03:12 PM   #18

Trailer: 1979 Layton 22 ft / 2004 Ram-Cummins 2500 2wd
Craig: On our trailer the entire gate valve assembly, and disposal connect was straight-line at 45 degrees down, which I felt was destruction waiting to happen. I re-arranged all to almost eliminate the drop angle. While I was at it, I added a 3/8" copper tube, inside the 'grey' tank outlet. The copper tube is crushed to form a 'fan nozzle' inside the grey tank. The outer end of the tube is connected via a ball valve to a female garden hose connector (to enable thorough flushing).
A suggestion: Before leaving on a trip, pour a quart or so of 'Calgon' water softener crystals mixed with warm water and a bit of detergent, down the drain (if you had a black tank, a gallon there). The mix will slosh around and coat all surfaces, making them slippery, so nothing sticks
Lloyd (aka Santa) Coltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 03:25 PM   #19

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Lloyd,

Why do you need to flush out the gray tank, and how does your copper nozzle do it better than simply driving around?
Old 07-02-2022, 04:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Lloyd,

Why do you need to flush out the gray tank, and how does your copper nozzle do it better than simply driving around?
I tried Calgon once. Found it quite expensive and the box weighed quite a bit. When I tried to check how effective it was, I got my head stuck in the pipe.