gunk in the trunk - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2021, 12:34 PM   #1

Name: K
Trailer: C
Iowa
gunk in the trunk

I got gunk in the trunk of my Casita SD17's shower. The storage area in the wetbath leaks, it has always leaked water into it. There is usually several inches of water that I have to scoop out with a plastic cup. I was going to drill a hole in the bottom, so it would at least drain out. Is there a good fix for this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2811.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	139396
whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 01:24 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Our 2013 Casita leaked in the same location , though not as severely as yours
The source of our problem was the tailpiece both where it was attached to the sink and the connection to the sink trap
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 11:02 AM   #3

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
My 2015 17' LD leaked also. The space you are referring to and the toilet paper compartment also. Turns out the little sink P-trap was leaking into that compartment and replacing it stopped it. You might take a look at your trap and the caulking. My outside access door to the small storage area near the water tank leaked at the gasket and i taped it up.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 11:17 AM   #4

Name: K
Trailer: C
Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmad1 View Post
My 2015 17' LD leaked also. The space you are referring to and the toilet paper compartment also. Turns out the little sink P-trap was leaking into that compartment and replacing it stopped it. You might take a look at your trap and the caulking. My outside access door to the small storage area near the water tank leaked at the gasket and i taped it up.

I will check the places you guys mentioned. I thought it was leaking around the edges, never occurred to me it might be leaking from the inside. Where did you get a replacement?
whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 11:27 AM   #5

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
All I had to do was pull it out and caulk it again. I think I used plumbers putty.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 12:28 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
The recess in the bottom of the sink where the strainer / tail piece attaches to the sink is shallow . On our Casita all they used to seal the connection was a THIN fiber washer / gasket and it leaked . I replaced the tailpiece using a rubber gasket and plumbers putty . Stopped the leak but raised the drain piece so the sink did not completely drain
Casita needs to change their vanity , sink mold and increase the depth of the drain recess IMHO
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:06 PM   #7

Name: Ben
Trailer: Casita SD
South Carolina
I agree with posts 5 and 6 above. That cavity under the sink in my 2013 SD was wet after my first trip out. I figured it was the door gasket and replaced it. That didn't help at all. It was wet after the second trip. I filled the sink with water and let it sit for a only a few minutes and saw water weeping out around the sink drain directly under the sink. I took off the large basin nut that connects the drain to the sink. I disconnected the drain from the P trap and slid the drain up. The caulk, or whatever was originally put there, was dry and brittle. I cleaned the neck on the drain and the hole in the sink, applied fresh bathroom caulk and checked it again. I haven't seen another leak since. Good luck!
BenBark is offline   Reply With Quote