Help with Sealand M28-711 toilet issues - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2016, 05:40 PM   #1

Name: Chuck
Trailer: Scamp 16 Deluxe
Washington
Help with Sealand M28-711 toilet issues

Hi Folks,

Has anybody got maintenance and repair experience with the Scamp toilets?

I pulled the toilet out of my 16' Scamp to better address the issue I'm having: The bowl won't hold water, which allows odors into the trailer. The ball valve doesn't close tightly against the seal, so water drips right out of the bowl into the holding tank.

The toilet is about 2 years old (trailer was new in 2014). I saw elsewhere here, that somebody suggested allowing the flush pedal to snap back, rather than easing it back gently. That seems to provide enough momentum on the ball valve and pedal mechanism to get the ball valve to rotate into fully closed position. But that seems an inelegant solution, at best.

I noticed in the troubleshooting portion of the manual that item #1, "Water will not stay in bowl," that tightening the clamp nut was the first suggestion.
In item #2, "Plastic flush ball will not close completely," the first suggestion was to loosen the clamp nut.

I ordered a new set of seals, and I find the package the new seals came in recommends the clamp nut be tightened to "about 65 inch pounds."

Clearly, the unit is sensitive to the tightness of the clamp nut. But I don't seem to be able to find the sweet spot between too tight and too loose. The ball just won't close all the way (unless I let it slap back).

Interestingly, the second suggestion under #2 is to check the spring tension by suddenly letting up on the flush lever. If it doesn't snap back, the suggested remedy is to replace the spring cartridge. Fortunately, I seem to have plenty of snap, so I don't think I need to mess with the spring.

However, I have found that there is a lot of play in the ball valve. After I ease the pedal back up, the ball stops and the pedal comes to rest, but I can further rotate (with my hand/fingers) the ball another 3/4" at least, which seals it. (Obviously, that's only going to happen on the bench, not with the toilet installed.)

Any thoughts?
beardrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:34 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
We had the same problem.

The seal between the bowl and base had taked a set, and the edge that contacts the ball had worn to where it would not hold water.

BY flipping that seal upside down you get a "new" edge against the ball. But take care how it is positioned. There is a tab and a small hole that needs to line up right.
We were also getting leakage to the outside of the tank, which was corrected by tightening the band clamp.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:15 AM   #3

Washington
That's the seal that has "This side up" written on it? I had thought of that - I see no difference between the top and the bottom side, other than that label. I have a feeling I'm going to be into this toilet again (), so maybe I'll try that.

I also have some lubricant on order, and I'll put that on the ball & seal as it goes together.

This toilet has probably close to 90 days and nights on it now. Maybe they are just not designed for that level of use without some attention.

Thanks

Chuck
Old 06-01-2016, 06:17 PM   #4

Washington
update

Just for the record, I think resolved the problem.

First, torquing the clamp nut to 65 inch pounds took a torque wrench and a socket. Even my impact driver couldn't get it tight enough, let alone a screwdriver. When I first took it apart, the nut was quite a bit looser than it is now.

Second, I put new seals in along with some Thetford toilet seal sealant.

I have to say that there seems only to be about a sixteenth of an inch of contact between the back side of the ball and the seal, so it wouldn't be very tolerant of wear or mis-adjustment.

Unfortunately, I broke the plastic wrap-around pedestal cover while trying to get it back on, but that's another problem. Nobody will know but me... and my poor wife, who had to listen to a moment of blue language.

All's well that ends well.

chuck

Tags
scamp