How do you keep the toilet area dry? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2008, 09:24 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape ('Suite Escape')
Registry
Unhappy

Living in a hard water area has made me a compulsive shower surface wiper. Since many fgrvs have a wet bath I'd like to learn of the ingenious solutions to keep the toilet area dry. (I am OK with wiping down the straight side walls.) What kind of attachments for an additional shower curtain?
Thanks,
Peace and Sunshine
Sandra
Sandra L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:49 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

My Fiber Stream is a little different from your average Scamp or Casita in that the toilet is right in front of the bathroom door and the shower is back in the corner.

Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0524.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	16610

It came with a simple cotton cloth shower curtain separating the toilet area from the shower stall.

Name:	000_0519.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	16611

The plastic track is readily available in any RV store, is flexible, and adheres to the (painted fiberglass) ceiling with Butyl Tape sealant.

Name:	000_0522.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	16613
Attached Thumbnails
000_0520.jpg  
Old 11-03-2008, 09:54 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have a shower curtain that goes across the glass door to my bathroom. It is not necessary for water protection, but I don't want to be cleaning the door all the time.

I use a squeegee for the rest. Works fine for me.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:40 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Use a shower curtain that is wide enough to protect the areas you don't want to get wet; like the toilet. There's a flexible shower curtain rod and hooks, here's what the web site says:
"Made of non corrosive ABS Plastic. Excellent for marine/outdoor environment. Superb flexibility allows track to contour or arc along structural surfaces. Accommodates three different types of slides. Also available in Brown. Sold in Eight foot lengths only. "
Boat/RV Drapes - track
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:59 AM   #5

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Living in a hard water area has made me a compulsive shower surface wiper. Since many fgrvs have a wet bath I'd like to learn of the ingenious solutions to keep the toilet area dry. (I am OK with wiping down the straight side walls.) What kind of attachments for an additional shower curtain?
Thanks,
Peace and Sunshine
Sandra
Hi: Sandra... For a wiper I carry a piece of immitation Chamois in a zip lock bag. Works wonders... I may replace the track in our 5.0 as it is metal and I like the ABS that Donna posted!!! Thanks
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:17 AM   #6

Registry

Great ideas. I have just ordered my Escape and am trying to think of everything possible. This forum has been terrific for helpful solutions , and I am very appreciative.
Peace and Sunshine
Sandra
Old 11-05-2008, 09:49 AM   #7

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Quote:
I use a squeegee
I also use an extra handtowel to wipe down mine.. I dont care for shower curtains.. if they aren't really dryed throughly they will mildew and mold.. My door has formica on it anyways... so its no biggie to squeegie that down, then wipe.. i also wipe on the sides of the toilet and in back the best I can...
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:19 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
I also use an extra handtowel to wipe down mine.. I dont care for shower curtains.. if they aren't really dryed throughly they will mildew and mold.. My door has formica on it anyways... so its no biggie to squeegie that down, then wipe.. i also wipe on the sides of the toilet and in back the best I can...
Thanks for the suggestion. I was trying to avoid the area around the toilet if possible. Changing the subject slightly: At Kohl's there is a vinyl shower curtain with mesh pockets affixed in various locations for shampoo, wash cloth etc. That might be a handy thing to have. One could also sew mesh pockets on an H2O-proof fabric one as well.
Peace and Sunshine.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:03 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
Quote:
...I dont care for shower curtains.. if they aren't really dryed throughly they will mildew and mold..
No longer an issue with present day curtains. Have not seen this as an issue in years. Curtains these days are treated/designed somehow to reduce the chance of mold/mildew forming on the shower curtain.
Coach George Jessup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:43 AM   #10

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... We use a piece of automotive immitation Chamois, kept in a zip up baggie!!! Makes wipe ups a cinch and does it without "STREAKING".
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie oops sssorry I am repeating my self!!!
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:52 AM   #11
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
The bath room in our Casita is small enough that I don't think it would work for us to have a shower curtain installed to keep the toilet area dry. Not enough elbow room for it. Because the shower water tends to pond in one of the corners behind the toilet area (which is higher than the shower floor), I keep a big sponge behind the bathroom sink and scootch the water forward, so it will go down the shower drain. I also do a quick wipe-down on the shower walls, the toilet lid, etc. Then, unless it's very, very cold outside, I leave the shower window open. (Newer Casitas have a vent fan in the bathroom, which may make the window thing unnecessary. I don't know.)

I also don't know how similar the Escape bathroom is to the ones that Casita uses. If your trailer's "throne" area is installed where the water will drain off it, instead of ponding in the corner, I'd say either a sponge or a chamois-cloth, like Alf suggests, will be fine for the job.

Congrats on your new trailer!

Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:34 AM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft and Trillium 4500
I have a Scamp with side bath. The stall is so short that the only way to shower is to sit on the toilet seat while showering with the handheld shower head. I don't think there is a way to keep the toilet area dry while showering.

I have been using an extra towel to wipe the area out when done, but I like the idea of the synthetic chamois.
Jake Jacobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:29 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft

Take a look at a spring loaded closet rod for hanging a second curtain. Requires no holes.

bags
Old 11-18-2008, 05:54 PM   #14

Registry
Good idea! I thought about a few suction hooks on the ceiling and sides but this is simler and easier and no doubt more effective .
Peace and Sunshine
Old 11-19-2008, 12:48 PM   #15

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Sandra
In our Casita, the shower rod goes across above the door to keep it dry. The curtain is so wide and gathered so much on the rod, that we just pull the bottom over the commode and can sit on it.. Hardly any gets to the commode or behind it. We bought the trailer used, - maybe they put a full shower curtain in instead of one normally used in a shower stall? Dunno.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote