How to avoid mould in water tank between uses - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2014, 10:33 AM   #21

Name: John
Trailer: '84 Bigfoot b17
British Columbia
Hi everybody,
This has turned into an interesting chat with some good tips posted thank you. Seems most of us keep tank topped up with good water to start with and add small amount of bleach (maybe). That all makes sense but here for winter storage where it gets very cold, draining the entire system is necessary, ...so during the fall when temps can fluctuate a lot between freezing and "warm"...how does one get the system totally dry? i.e no moisture for mould to start/grow? I suspect many of you just crack the system drain and call it a day...if using a small amount of bleach in the final "drain" water it should zap any potential spores right? (so maybe getting it 100% dry is not necessary)?
Cheers,
John
Tyhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:46 AM   #22

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Do I understand all this correctly? One should leave the Petcock drain to the outside of the trailer open when not full of wAter to allow the tank to air out.

Two, one could add a small amount of bleach to water in tank that will be used to ward off junk... Say what? A couple of tablespoons? Is it drinkable then if you wished?

I've been keeping my tank empty between trips but have not left drain open. Hmmmm

When done for year, perhaps after my final bleach and water treatment I just will drain system but NOT rinse it, then do the antifreeze bit.

Sound accurate?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:19 AM   #23

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I normally don't keep my trailer stored with water in the tanks for two reasons:
1) if water is left in the tanks that has high sulfur content it can get pretty smelly after a short time in hot weather. Found that out the hard way.
2) I don't normally like to add more weight than needed to the trailer for better mpg when traveling. Only fill the tanks prior to leaving if I am going a short distance and there is no water available at destination. Otherwise I pick up water as close to my destination as possible.

I use the RV antifreeze in the winter. In the spring after flushing out the anti freeze is when I flush/clean the tanks and lines using bleach & water mix and letting it sit in the system for a few hours before flushing it all out again with fresh water. If I know I have picked up some questionable water during the summer months I will do another bleach clean out part way through the summer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:19 AM   #24

New York
Registry
This is what I thought as well Carol. In fact, you taught me! I just had to do another summer bleach treatment for lost water. I do see some sense in leaving the Petcock drain open for air, when in my driveway. Just don't want any critters or insects to find a new home I guess!

Hoping you are well Carol. It's good to hear from you.

Wendy

Old 07-09-2014, 06:20 AM   #25

New York
Registry
Oops lousy water. My apologies!

Old 08-03-2014, 05:24 AM   #26

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I put deck plates in my tanks and dry them thoroughly and leave the plates off between uses. I also only use my well water to fill, but I have twin 20 gallon tanks, so I dont have to worry about running out.

Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:54 AM   #27

New York
Registry
I've read quite a bit about these deck plates. Are they a marine product? I'm assuming it allows a hole entrance for you to stick your hand in there and dry out the tank right?

I'll have to google to see what they look like. If they come in sizes, would you recommend one?

Cheers,
Wendy

Old 08-03-2014, 06:00 AM   #28

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
I've read quite a bit about these deck plates. Are they a marine product? I'm assuming it allows a hole entrance for you to stick your hand in there and dry out the tank right?

I'll have to google to see what they look like. If they come in sizes, would you recommend one?

Cheers,
Wendy
You want one big enough to get your hand/arm through: WEST MARINE Screw-in Deck Plate, 6", Smooth, White | West Marine
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:21 PM   #29

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Putting a couple of teaspoons of bleach in the water tank every time it is filled would cause no harm. Bleach is diluted liquid chlorine (chlorine is a gas) and is widely used as a disinfectant in water systems throughout the US and the rest of the world. It is very effective at killing microorganisms. And yes, drinking it is safe as it is no different from water coming from public supply systems. Some private well owners chlorinate their own water using bleach as the chlorine source.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:11 PM   #30

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Carl, most people do not want to drink or smell bleach in their water. Quarter cup of bleach per fifteen gallons is a common amount recommended. Sits overnight or a few hours, then is flushed.

Some carry gallons of water for drinking and use the trailer water for everything else. I have also heard of baking soda being added after bleach when flushing with clean water to get rid of the bleach smell.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:23 PM   #31

Florida
Registry
Cathi,
I'm not advocating the addition of bleach to RV tanks. I'm merely responding to an earlier post (without quoting) as to whether consumption of small amounts of bleach is safe. Nor would I presume what "most people" want. Personally, I don't give a rat's hiney if there is chlorine in my water, although I would prefer it contained scotch rather than chlorine!

Old 08-03-2014, 06:03 PM   #32

gotcha. Thought you were advocating that. I will change that to "many" as that is my impression from comments on forums. I forgot that these forums are full of scientists and engineers and that people see things that others do not. We also have our own likes and dislikes. The scotch might do the same, for all I know.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:55 PM   #33

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Pardon me, Byron, but what is a ceramic filter, how do you use it, where do you buy one, what do they cost, what is the best model for camping?
Many thanks.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:07 PM   #34

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
HEADS UP...
When using bleach to disinfect your water system, it is best not to do so at the same time as you winterize. A few drops of bleach will make your RV antifreeze turn clear upon contact. This means you'll be waiting in vain to see the "Pink" coming out of your faucets!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:07 AM   #35

New York
Registry
CPW,

I'm with ya on the scotch! And I have no problem with the bleach addition either. Unfortunately, my camping trip is almost over here and I've been using the tank sans bleach. I did start leaving the Petcock open In between trips as someone recommended here.

One or two more trips for me and it's back to work anyway. And then I disinfect the whole system and winterize. Boo hoo. I hate when campy time is over. I could cry! Thanks for the tip Floyd on the bleach and antifreeze.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:17 PM   #36

Florida
Registry
I think we should make a distinction here between sanitizing and disinfecting. The fresh water holding tank should probably be sanitized before each use (if the trailer has not been used for a while). This is done with a stronger concentration of bleach, sitting overnight, then drained, to eliminate any "squatters." Disinfection, on the other hand is adding a small concentration to the "drinking" water to chlorinate it, hopefully preventing any new bacterial infestation and keeping the water safe. I'm not sure I would sanitize when storing the trailer because it is only going to have to be done again when it comes out of hibernation.

Old 08-05-2014, 03:32 PM   #37

I am glad you clarified that, Carl, as I was thinking of clarifying it. You said it much better and more correctly than I would since you come from that background.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:26 PM   #38

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17G)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Probable as safe if not safer than the plastic used to build the water tank in your 78 Trillium

You do need to watch what you seal it with though.

My water tank got pulled ASAP as it was black with uber-scuzz when I bought the trailer. No BSP tank here

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Dave_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:07 PM   #39

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
How to avoid mould in water tank between uses

I cut mine open just to look inside, because it was so discolored. It had a 1/2" of sediment in it. 😖

I decided I would never be ok with "cleaning" it. I put two new tanks in, and installed the deck plates to dry then every time. Luckily, I always fill at home and have never had to refill, so I know the water quality. I doubt I will ever have to fill on the road. I always add about half the recommended amount of water treatment to the tanks when I fill them, as it's good, clean well water to start with. I also have a full camper bacteria/cyst/lead/chlorine filter installed. I drink right from the tap with no worries, don't carry bottled water.

Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:28 PM   #40

Florida
Registry
How to avoid mould in water tank between uses

Actually, if you saw some of the stuff I have seen in public supply water mains nobody on this thread would be as concerned with the condition of their fresh water tanks.......