How to use all water in hot water tank and cold water tank? (Scamp) - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-31-2022, 10:53 AM   #21

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
"Don't drink the water. Fish p*ss in it".

Kind of some truth in that. But luckily we know how to solve that problem.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 10:26 PM   #22

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
"Don't drink the water. Fish p*ss in it".
Bottled water comes from a faucet. Bottled spring water comes from springs. Read this in a health magazine. So water from a faucet is as good as bottled water. We drink from our tank. We filter the water going in and then filter it in a Brita pitcher to drink. We sterilize our tank before we use it the first time every year. After each trip we drain the tank and the hot water tank. We open the pressure relief valve and pull the anode rod out. We do this every trip and our tanks stay good. We put a clean rag into the hole and leave the rod out until we use the trailer again so it can dry out. In the fall we flush the tank with the little thing that reaches inside and then again in the spring.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 11:15 AM   #23

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
Bottled water comes from a faucet. Bottled spring water comes from springs. Read this in a health magazine.

That depends on the brand. But yeah virtually none of it is as fancy as they want you to believe. But most of it is better than the left would want to you believe.

Yes most of it originates from municipal water plants. Now pop is pretty much bottled water just like your home tap. The same thing with the water in the fountains at food places. If just has carbonation and flavor added. Interestingly McDonald fountain drinks actually do have better water. It goes through a filtration system first. but that is pop.

People complain about the cost of bottled water as compared to pop and a lot of the reason for this is transportation Pop is bottled (and canned) in more places so bottled water has to be transported farther.

Some bottled water does come from independent sources. You will note that the left says it all comes municipal plants. But then they complain about the plants that use their own sources for "stealing water that should be free." Kind of tells you how much they care. But here is the general truth. But realize that there is no standard other than the one that is for municipal water which the bottled water places have to follow. And their marketing really has not meaning so they can do what they want.

Most of the bottled water comes through a similar process. Most of it starts with municipal water. But municipal water travels through municipal water distribution pipes, and a lot of those are not very good and lower the quality. For pop as long as the water is still EPA level safe that is all they worry about. But they do pay more attention to bottled water. Now some places just do bottle it in the same plant and machines as the pop, just without carbonation and flavor. But most of their own plants. These plants are located closer to the water plant. Then they make sure the pipes feeding them the water are modern and cool quality. Not just average or less.

Then the plant will have some level of filtration. Much more than the water from city system. Then they will use higher quality plumbing to feed the water into bottling.

So bottled water and tap water are not quite the same.
Old 06-02-2022, 11:16 AM   #24

Indiana
Quote:
Bottled water comes from a faucet. Bottled spring water comes from springs. Read this in a health magazine. So water from a faucet is as good as bottled water. We drink from our tank. We filter the water going in and then filter it in a Brita pitcher to drink. We sterilize our tank before we use it the first time every year. After each trip we drain the tank and the hot water tank. We open the pressure relief valve and pull the anode rod out. We do this every trip and our tanks stay good. We put a clean rag into the hole and leave the rod out until we use the trailer again so it can dry out. In the fall we flush the tank with the little thing that reaches inside and then again in the spring.

Sounds like a great way to corrode out your hot water tank.
Old 06-02-2022, 06:22 PM   #25

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerspook View Post
That depends on the brand. But yeah virtually none of it is as fancy as they want you to believe. But most of it is better than the left would want to you believe.

Yes most of it originates from municipal water plants. Now pop is pretty much bottled water just like your home tap. The same thing with the water in the fountains at food places. If just has carbonation and flavor added. Interestingly McDonald fountain drinks actually do have better water. It goes through a filtration system first. but that is pop.

People complain about the cost of bottled water as compared to pop and a lot of the reason for this is transportation Pop is bottled (and canned) in more places so bottled water has to be transported farther.

Some bottled water does come from independent sources. You will note that the left says it all comes municipal plants. But then they complain about the plants that use their own sources for "stealing water that should be free." Kind of tells you how much they care. But here is the general truth. But realize that there is no standard other than the one that is for municipal water which the bottled water places have to follow. And their marketing really has not meaning so they can do what they want.

Most of the bottled water comes through a similar process. Most of it starts with municipal water. But municipal water travels through municipal water distribution pipes, and a lot of those are not very good and lower the quality. For pop as long as the water is still EPA level safe that is all they worry about. But they do pay more attention to bottled water. Now some places just do bottle it in the same plant and machines as the pop, just without carbonation and flavor. But most of their own plants. These plants are located closer to the water plant. Then they make sure the pipes feeding them the water are modern and cool quality. Not just average or less.

Then the plant will have some level of filtration. Much more than the water from city system. Then they will use higher quality plumbing to feed the water into bottling.

So bottled water and tap water are not quite the same.
So why not just fill your sterilized tank with filtered water and use a Brita or similar filter pitcher and save the cost of bottled water. Bottled water is just filtered tap water.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 06:18 AM   #26

Indiana
Quote:
So why not just fill your sterilized tank with filtered water and use a Brita or similar filter pitcher and save the cost of bottled water. Bottled water is just filtered tap water.

You missed one part about making sure that the water reaches the plant in a status where it has avoided getting contaminated on the way. But I actually use very little bottled water. Now there is one city I work in (and stay in my camper) which has a large amount of iron in their water and iron is bad for a medical condition I have. So I do use bottled water there. Bottled water will avoid any of these local issues.

Bottled water also is well bottled. It is convenient to store and transport. I keep a case in my camper so I can respond to incidents faster. I normally use hydration bladders, but if I need to I can grab a couple bottles and put them in my pack on the way to a site. It also is measured, and I like the flavor additions you can do that depend on it being that size. I keep some in the freezer ready to go so I can turn one frozen one into 2-4 cold bottles. I keep it in the frig to have cold in the camper. Now some of those are refills, But I usually only reused them once.

I normally do take my bleached tanks and fill them with tap water. And I carry jugs of tap water. Now in the winter with I am on an incident I take gallon jugs of bottled water because they are more convenient.

Well you did ask. Also I kind of had already said that.

Tags
scamp