Is my pump shot? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2014, 05:43 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot
Registry
Is my pump shot?

My pump won't send water up to the tap. I can see it trying and getting only a few inches up the tubing. I tried removing aerator, wasn't sure what else to try.

So... I disconnected it to investigate. Pretty basic little thing. Only thing I notice is the "wings on the propeller" look broken down. On closer inspection they all have the same shape of "chipping" so maybe that's nothing? I hooked up the power to make sure this is spinning and it does. I then put it back together and tried to pump from one bucket to another. Still nothing. A search reveals this is called a galley pump.

If I need to replace the pump, what's the best buy? I would likely run it very little. I just like to make sure everything functions!
Attached Thumbnails
2014-09-01 14.19.28.jpg  
paulaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:57 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
If the head space between the impeller and the impeller housing is too great ,the pump will not push water.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:29 PM   #3

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Is my pump shot?

Several things to look for. If the seal between the halves is leaking, the pump will just suck air. I don't know if this worked before, or if it's new to you, etc., so you might want to be sure it's spinning the right way, also.

Many pumps won't lift on the suction side (depending on design), so if you had it above the buckets, it may not pump, even if it was working properly.

Try putting a length of hose on each side and holding the hoses up, then fill the suction side hose and run the pump to see if it pushes water up the pressure hose.

I would get a diaphragm pump if you replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:50 AM   #4

Registry
So, your suggestions have guided me to learn more about pumps. This is a centrifugal pump and must be mounted below water level in "flooded pump suction position". So now I understand it can't draw water to itself, it must always be "flooded" or supplied with water. Next I need to check if the hose to the faucet rises continually from the pump to the faucet as to avoid an air lock. I will try these things later today.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:28 PM   #5

Registry
Got it going! I think I had an airlock. When I replaced all the old tubing, I used too long a piece and wasn't careful to keep the tube rising continually to the faucet from the pump. Shortened the tube, sucked a little at the end of the tap (not as gross as it sounds) and it now works!
Old 09-02-2014, 07:43 PM   #6

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Good deal. 👍

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote