Let's Discuss SMEV Stoves & Sinks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2014, 01:22 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Let's Discuss SMEV Stoves & Sinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
About the SMEV (now Dometic) products: Nest Caravans is an authorized Dometic reseller. Consequently, we have discovered that the product line is much more extensive in the international marketplace, but curiously, very limited here in the US.
I never could understand that. I love our SMEV flush stove/sink combo with lids. It really adds to the usable counter space, and much better than some add-on sink and stove covers. Maybe a good sideline would be to bring in more models for resale into the North American market.

I really like this one, the 9222. Available left or right handed, just not on this continent that I can find.

There are also lots of separate sinks and stoves, with the glass lids.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:44 PM   #2

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Wow, Jim... that looks like exactly what I need. I don't want to hijack the thread, but for those of us whose counters are "space challenged" the compact unit with separate covers could be quite a "space multiplier." Now I'll just have to see whether I can get one into this country.

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:51 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
One of the Catch-22's on the SMEV/Dometic Euro versions is that while a number of builders have incorporated that very sink/stove combo into new pop-ups, dealers and owners are finding out that parts, such as replacement glass tops may not (or at least were not), available in the U.S. My local RV dealer had a trailer arrive with a broken top glass and all that the builder could do was send an entire new sink/cooker unit..

For that reason I bought the -911 version of the sink/cooker from Panther Products, without the glass top <$200 BTW) and made a slide on cutting board/cover for the sink.

It's shown in here, on Page 2: Hunter Compact II Photos by advocateone | Photobucket

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 02:42 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Let's Discuss SMEV Stoves & Sinks

This is our stove/sink:

Name:   Cramer stove sink.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  9.9 KB

I haven't used all three burners yet, but do appreciate the fact that if something boils over or accidentally spills on the stove it will run directly into the sink and not onto my bed!

Plus we keep our biggest pot with hot water on the front burner and it is conveniently next to the sink when doing dishes to rinse them in the pot.

There is some earlier discussion about this here:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ove-28988.html

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:28 AM   #5

Registry
We have that same stove/sink combo, Roger. We too have yet to use 3 burners at once, thus I would prefer that one I linked to earlier.

Rinsing dishes? We just wipe dry right away, but we are usually boondocking, and need to watch water consumption.

Either way, glad that Nest Caravans is a SMEV dealer, we know a good stove will be used.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-02-2014, 09:03 AM   #6

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Re: post 273

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ove-28988.html
I read the referenced thread - interesting. At first glance I liked the idea of one piece cooktop and sink, but then I realized it's just the esthetics. On second thought I would not go for it. The food preparation surface between those two is ideal from the standpoint of work flow. Cleaning up spills may be slightly easier, but I am sure you cannot just hose them down, so it is not that much better. "YMMV"
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:33 AM   #7

Not to disagree, but use and clean-up is a lot easier. Spills are on their way to the sink as soon as they occur. The design of most RV cooktops dates from the 50's or even before and is a PITA when spills happen. We installed the SMEV M00911 in our Hunter and it's near perfect in every way. Price is up a bit, to about $270, since they added auto ignite, but still a lot less than the glass topped units. Here's a link:
SMEV MO0911

Old 12-02-2014, 05:30 PM   #8

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
I like the theory of the SMEV sink stove combo, as sink and stove are totally linked when cooking, but isn't the sink really shallow?
I put a dish pan in the sink of my trailer, and use the stove space as drain space with a drain pad under it.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:26 AM   #9

Registry
I checked on eBay, and there are a few SMEV products that ship here from the UK.

It sure would be great if there were more of their offerings available in North America.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:58 AM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
We have bought them from E-Bay for rehab projects in the past.
They have lots of different models and sometimes they come up as "scratch&dent" units on E-bay. We bought the one below for $75 and we never found the supposed defect...
Attached Thumbnails
May 2009 022.jpg  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:29 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
They have lots of different models and sometimes they come up as "scratch&dent" units on E-bay. We bought the one below for $75 and we never found the supposed defect...
Wow, that's a great deal.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:16 PM   #12

Scratch & Dent

That's the same as the SMEV 00911 that I returned to Panther RV because it arrived with a dented sink bowel about two years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post

Old 12-03-2014, 02:57 PM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Paula prefers to have the two separate, as when she cooks she uses the sink for many purposes, and doesn't want to be in such close proximity to the heat source, as well, she likes a deeper sink with a sprayer attachment.
Dave & Paula
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01388.jpg   DSC01382.jpg  

DSC01386.jpg  
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 03:49 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Paula prefers to have the two separate, as when she cooks she uses the sink for many purposes, and doesn't want to be in such close proximity to the heat source, as well, she likes a deeper sink with a sprayer attachment.
Dave & Paula
If you have the counter space, this can certainly be a great idea. I might have been inclined to go with a matching SMEV sink with a glass lid though.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:48 PM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I like the flush top, glass top units but the propitiatory flip up faucet scares me. Since the hole for the faucet is there you have to use it. Until replacement parts are available here I'm not ready just yet to jump into one. I like the cleanliness of these all in one stainless steel units. In my 13 foot Scamp as much of usable top space on the kitchen cabinet you can get the better. I have covers over the stove and the sink but the Bi-level height of the surface doesn't help much.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:59 PM   #16

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I just wish they made a single burner stove, counter flush with a lid!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:48 PM   #17

Trailer: Boler
My German Eriba trailers use these units with a wooden flip back cover panel

Jack Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 04:58 AM   #18
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
My Trillium also came with the 3 burner stove with a separate glass cover over the sink. The first thing to go was a plastic grommet that holds one of the grates in place. Next the chromed plastic faucet broke at the base. Rather than spend $75 for a replacement I removed the cover and added a metal high rise faucet for half the cost.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1757286258.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	230.9 KB
ID:	79039

It turns out the added height is a big improvement. Raz
Attached Images

Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 06:22 AM   #19
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
A caution

When I was searching for parts I ran across a thread where someone ordered a unit from overseas and ran into thread incapatabity at the gas connection. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:18 AM   #20

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I really, really like the hidden sink and stove idea in the Eriba. And wish I could convince (brand) to do something similar. I would have had it in a heart-beat. The sink would have to be much, much deeper though. My coffee cup won't fit in the shallow sinks!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote