Lets Talk Black Tanks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2013, 07:43 AM   #1

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Lets Talk Black Tanks

I'm in the market for a 16' camper with a bathroom and know nothing about black waste tanks.
So what can you put in them and what can't you? For instance can you you use those cottonell wet wipes or will they clog every thing up and how bad? I'm sure I already know the answer but I need to her from all of you with way more knowledge and experience than me.
Thanks!
Old 12-07-2013, 08:05 AM   #2

Name: Steve and Janna
Trailer: '02 Scamp 13
North Carolina
Registry
I'm interested in what others might have to say about this - but my advice is to ONLY put things into your RV black tank that are intended for that purpose.

Reasons:
- Most residential toilets flush with a fairly large volume of water, RV toilets use minimum amounts.
- Residential septic systems use large diameter pipes with drop rates regulated by building codes. RV systems - both in your trailer and in the park, less so.
- Depending on your set-up and how frequently you give the system a good flush out, these things tend to sludge up anyway.
- Finally, when these systems do plug, cleaning out the backed up sewage can be a very nasty chore.

So, that's my $0.02
Steve_N_Janna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:34 AM   #3

Name: David & Sandy
Trailer: 2012 Escape 5.0
Texas
Cheap toilet paper that will dissolve, deodorizer, a wash wand to help you rinse your tank, and I put ice in while towing after dumping to keep the inside clean. I would also recommend keeping a small garden hose dedicated for washout and disposable rubber gloves on hand. Grey and black tanks are fairly easy to manage and you will likely be a pro in no time.
David Clinkenbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:42 AM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Depends on if you want to have operating tank sensors. If you do, then only rv approved toilet tissue that dissolves should be used. If you do not want to use sensors, then anything that will flow out of that sized pipe would work.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #5

Name: Sharon
Trailer: UHaul
Massachusetts
Registry
The newly fashionable wet toilettes should not be put down any toilet - indoor or RV. They are too heavy and will clog.
Sharon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkman View Post
For instance can you you use those cottonell wet wipes or will they clog every thing up and how bad?
Increasingly clogged sewers attributed to popular ?flushable? wipes - Washington Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washington Post
Sewage authorities generally recommend that people not flush products other than toilet paper.
I use those wipes, and have a trash can in the bathroom of the trailer to dispose of them.

BTW, Central and South American countries don't even put regular toilet paper in their toilets. Having a trash can next to the toilet is common there.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:28 PM   #7

Name: Jay
Trailer: former class c now an egg hunter
New York
A big no no to the cottonelle or any other wipes. Even the ones that state they are flushable. Oh...ahem....no tampons!

RV tp is expensive but something that breaks down fast is the best. We used Scott 1000. You can do the test to see if her brand breaks down. Put a section into a Tupperware / jar with some water. Shake it for 5-10 seconds. If it breaks into pieces you are good to go.

Anytime the pooper gets plugged up.....it's bad! Especially if you're the one that has to unclog it!
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:34 AM   #8

New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by reetired View Post
A big no no to the cottonelle or any other wipes. Even the ones that state they are flushable. Oh...ahem....no tampons!

RV tp is expensive but something that breaks down fast is the best. We used Scott 1000. You can do the test to see if her brand breaks down. Put a section into a Tupperware / jar with some water. Shake it for 5-10 seconds. If it breaks into pieces you are good to go.

Anytime the pooper gets plugged up.....it's bad! Especially if you're the one that has to unclog it!

Thanks guys!!! That is what I thought.
I will try the Tupperware trick and see what happens.
And yes I am the one who will have to dig out the clog
!
Old 12-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
"Black Tanks": a crappy but important subject.

In my next trailer (whenever that comes to be), I would prefer a bathroom with shower but no black tank. Only a cassette toilet or porta potty. Since I don't have a good way to empty a black tank at my house, I can't use the toilet for the last day of travel back home. A cassette or porta can be easily emptied in my house toilet or any other toilet. Just a thought.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #10

Name: David & Sandy
Trailer: 2012 Escape 5.0
Texas
Hi Mike,
It's your choice. I'm guessing Escape will build you one without a toilet and black tank. Your likely in a minority and your resale will be hurt you compared to the factory cost of install. Later may prove impossible after the factory build. I can't understand why you don't have dump stations in your area. Oklahoma is a big camping state. There is information out there that points them out.
David Clinkenbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #11

Name: ginette & ron
Trailer: 2008 25RB 21 Bigfoot
Ontario
We like our soft toilet paper. That being the case we keep a small garbage can beside the toilet for all , ehmmm , products that do not come of of the body. We also use bio boosting additive after we flush the tank.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #12

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Only Scott single ply in ours, even going with just that the darn sensors are wrong as often as not.
padlin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
"Black Tanks": a crappy but important subject.

In my next trailer (whenever that comes to be), I would prefer a bathroom with shower but no black tank. Only a cassette toilet or porta potty. Since I don't have a good way to empty a black tank at my house, I can't use the toilet for the last day of travel back home. A cassette or porta can be easily emptied in my house toilet or any other toilet. Just a thought.
Oh poo, just make a tote. Cheap and then you won't need to worry about dumping the black OR gray when needed
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BlueToteProject.pdf (166.0 KB, 65 views)
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Oh poo, just make a tote. Cheap and then you won't need to worry about dumping the black OR gray when needed
Or, you could hold it 'til you get home.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #15

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Neatest toilet I ever saw was essentially a re-circulating like the cassette but that could be dumped directly into the black tank. In a conversion used to attend events and races. Really extended the capacity.

Back to the regular topic. I like that blue tote plan Donna provided a lot. Already saved.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:58 PM   #16

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
California
Mike..... Just buy a 5 gallon bucket at lowes. Then dump that down the house toilet.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
If I'm going to take a bucket, I may as well pack the spare porta potty instead. Might just do that for next trip, actually. But my point was originally about how I'd like my next trailer to be set up, since the OP was in the position of looking for a trailer.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:00 PM   #18

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
California
Mike.......I've used a bucket at home and when on the road when no dump station was available.

Even as one who as a former backpacker has no adversion to trees or catholes, I have grown to appreciate my toilet in the casita. I only use it for #1......and that makes the bucket convenient. In a pinch ( no pun intended ) I'lll use it for #2 but then I prefer a dump station.

I do like the real toilet. At 64 I guess I'm entitled. Plus the SO really appreciates the convenience. That's important to me.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #19

New York
Registry
I like the way these threads always start going a new direction after the second page of posts!
Old 12-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #20

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
What about a macerator pump like the FloJet? Surely you have a sewer clean out on the outside wall of the kitchen within 50 feet of the street or driveway.