Losing prime in water system - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2006, 08:30 PM   #1

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Our Boler has a little lever on the water tap that is moved back and forth to pump water somehow (in little squirts). Can anyone tell me how this works ? and why it keeps losing its prime ? Any ideas for fixing this would be really welcome. Thanks in advance !
Paula
Paula D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 09:28 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry

I never actually thought about how it works.. I am sure some bright one will tell us.

I had a dickens of a time getting mine to go the first time, but with persistance, it worked.

Put your finger over the faucet end and try a couple swings of the lever. Air is probably getting in the lines and making it spit, and also lose it's prime. The finger trick usially clears it.

It could also just be plain old and worn out.. they are inexpensive and easy to replace.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 09:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Paula D.,
There may be a check valve which is stuck. The water should not drain back to the tank. I would start looking where the water line connects to the underside of the faucet/pump and follow it back to the tank. I'd think it would be closer to the faucet end. It may not take much more than jarring to free it up.
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 11:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
I`ve had my Boler for 4 yrs and still not sure how that faucet works, but don`t you have to leave the handle in either the up or down position so that prime isn`t lost?....seems I read that on one of the posts some time back....we don`t use ours very often so usually a lot of pumping gets it going until the next time we use it.....someone will come along with the answer for sure, if it`s not a check valve problem like a regular water system from a well.....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 05:37 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies. The water line doesn't seem to be blocked because we can get the water flowing again with a little suction, but then within 24 hours it's lost again. It doesn't seem to matter if we leave the lever one way or the other, so it's probably the little dohickey (whatever THAT is) that needs to be replaced. Has anyone done this themselves ?

Paula
Old 05-28-2006, 06:19 AM   #6

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Paula, I believe that the pumps have the check valve built into them. Many years ago, things were built to be re-built... but I suspect that those days are long gone, as are the re-build kits.

It's probably easier and less time consuming just to replace the pump faucet.

Valterra Rocket pump

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 01:51 PM   #7

I wonder if a person can`t buy a small plastic or brass in line check valve with a flapper and 5/16" or 3/8" ,or so, hose bibs on the ends that can be used with water and also can be used vertically or horizontally at a surplus salvage sales outlet or a regular supplier.....shouldn`t be more that a couple bucks..."cheap fix"...Benny
Old 05-30-2006, 07:24 AM   #8

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
I wonder if a person can`t buy a small plastic or brass in line check valve with a flapper and 5/16" or 3/8" ,or so, hose bibs on the ends that can be used with water and also can be used vertically or horizontally at a surplus salvage sales outlet or a regular supplier.....shouldn`t be more that a couple bucks..."cheap fix"...Benny
I suspect that it would be possible to purchase in-line check valves but, if the pump is original, I suspect that the piston seals are shot too. Best policy would be to replace the whole thing (if the mfg. is imprinted on the pump... possibly do a complete rebuild if parts are available). The pump would have to be removed in any case and replacement isn't that expensive.
John & Sandy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 07:31 AM   #9

Quote:
I suspect that it would be possible to purchase in-line check valves but, if the pump is original, I suspect that the piston seals are shot too. Best policy would be to replace the whole thing (if the mfg. is imprinted on the pump... possibly do a complete rebuild if parts are available). The pump would have to be removed in any case and replacement isn't that expensive.
Thanks for the responses. So...I'm assuming from these replies that a) there is a pump somewhere in this set-up, and that there are check valves. (Yes, I really am a newbie !) Can anyone point me to a schematic showing where these items are located in my 13' Boler (Bubba) ?
regards, Paula
Old 05-30-2006, 08:05 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Paula, until someone answers up, see if the ShurFlo Water pump manual in the Document Center helps:
Helpful-Links - Plumbing Manuals.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:24 AM   #11

Trailer: 73 Boler
Hmmm. I happen to have just taken my pump apart because it was leaking pretty bad. The pump has a piston that moves up and down . It sucks water up and pushes it out the nozzle. If the seal is cracked water will drain back into the tank i would assume. Take your pump apart. There are 6 screws at the bottom of the pump. Remove these and the bottom can be removed. It might need to be pried with a screwge driver. The piston will be attached to the bottom plate/lever and it all comes apart as one so no parts will fall away so no worries. Examine the seal, throw it back together. You will need either butyl tape or silicone to reseal bottom plate. I used butyl tape and (just rolled up a spagetti string of butyl and made a little seal) Works great now.

IIRC those pumps are about $50 here in Canada at canadian tire.

P.S.
If it does'nt come apart you can always use a BFH. I find they come in very handy from time to time.
colin k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:57 AM   #12

Trailer: 2000 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe ('Millenium Eggloo')
Paula, here is the page from the Canadian Coast Catalogue . Use the "Previous Page" "Next Page" arrows at the top to see more similar items.

Click image for larger version

Name:	391.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	3277

If your pump is the chrome one in the middle, they list a repair kit for it for about $12 CAD. The complete pump is $45. You can order directly from this site or you can go to your local RV dealer with the part # and they can get it in for you. This particular order page is linked to Apache Camping Centre in Thornhill.

If your pump doesn't match any of these, then just pick one out that will cover the old hole. Our older Trillium had the 20345 for use with the freshwater storage tank and it had the 24922 pump on the next page hooked up to the city water supply side.
Charlie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 05:31 PM   #13

I will keep my eyes open for a check valve to keep around for my pump because it still pumps.....installation would be simple.......cut line almost anywhere....install check valve with 2 clamps....done deal.... ..Benny
Old 05-30-2006, 11:08 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Before I realized that the manual pumps had two positions for the pump lever (release prime and hold prime), I installed an inline check valve (found it at a hardware store).

Some of the pumps come apart and could be repaired or have parts replaced; some are glued shut and are easy to damage trying to open. When I suspect that I am starting to have manual pump problems, I buy a second pump so if I mess up the working pump, or it's unrepairable, I just install the new one. I usually get them at $$CampingWorld$$, but likely they are available on EBay.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:45 AM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Just Googled for ShurFlo Manual Water pumps and found a bonanza of documents! Sigh, if I only had time to download.

At anyrate, if you need documentation for a ShurFlo water pump, other than what's in the Document Center, check here: ShurFlo

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 02:26 PM   #16

Well Pete, now the big question...which direction of the lever does which function? Benny
Old 06-05-2006, 03:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Paula, here is the page from the Canadian Coast Catalogue . Use the "Previous Page" "Next Page" arrows at the top to see more similar items.

Attachment 3277

If your pump is the chrome one in the middle, they list a repair kit for it for about $12 CAD. The complete pump is $45. You can order directly from this site or you can go to your local RV dealer with the part # and they can get it in for you. This particular order page is linked to Apache Camping Centre in Thornhill.

If your pump doesn't match any of these, then just pick one out that will cover the old hole. Our older Trillium had the 20345 for use with the freshwater storage tank and it had the 24922 pump on the next page hooked up to the city water supply side.
Thanks, Charlie ! That's the one
I'm going to buy a repair kit and have a go. If that fails, we'll buy a replacement.
Thanks to all who replied. I really have learned a lot.
(I think these little pumps are NEAT !)

best wishes, Paula
Old 06-05-2006, 05:51 PM   #18

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Our Boler has a little lever on the water tap that is moved back and forth to pump water somehow (in little squirts). Can anyone tell me how this works ? and why it keeps losing its prime ? Any ideas for fixing this would be really welcome. Thanks in advance !
Paula

Probably got some mineral build inside of it. They are very easy to take apart and clean. That's what I had to do. I can't remember just how they work, but it's very basic. It will be self explanatory when you get it apart.
Thomas Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 11:05 PM   #19

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
Well Pete, now the big question...which direction of the lever does which function? Benny
On my current ValTerra, when the lever is left toward the sink, the line drains; when the lever is left towards the wall, the prime stays put. But that's with the lever on the right-hand side of the pump -- It's possible to swivel the output 180* and install the assembly with the lever on the left (for a left-handed person), so the lever would work backwards from what I described. Mine has a little label under the lever describing the actions.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:58 PM   #20

Thanks Pete,...Benny