Needing suggestions for new porta potty deodorizer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-26-2017, 09:55 AM   #1

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Scamp
Needing suggestions for new porta potty deodorizer

Hi, everybody-

I'm moderately sensitive to chemical smells and I'm struggling to find a deodorizer for my porta potty that doesn't make me ill. The latest I've tried is the Walex Bio-Pak (it's green) and it's awful. Does anybody have one that they like? Thanks.
Karen B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:01 AM   #2

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I use the blue Thetford AquaKem. It seems to work the best for breaking things down and I don't smell anything obnoxious like chemical odor or perfume- both of which I'd be sensitive to- but it is locked up in a cabinet except when in use.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:54 PM   #3

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
This thread might help.

I've used many, including the GEO method. I've liked the blue Thetford, it worked okay but at times my 30 gallon tank needed double what it was supposed to.

We've been happy with Happy Camper since giving up on the Thetford a couple years ago, had to carry too many of the bottles. Will try Odorlos if need be.

The Thetford may work fine for a portapotty as you won't need that much, and you can get it pretty much anywhere. Happy Camper, and I think Odorlos need to be ordered online.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:06 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin00 View Post
I think Odorlos need to be ordered online.
Nope. I've got it at various hardware and RV stores.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:42 PM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
I would recommend Odorlos or Happy Camper toilet treatments. However, as I have found, you should be aware that porta potty toilets unlike a regular rv toilet with black tank (and also some cassette toilets) do not have a vent for their self containted black tank to allow gases to escape. This means gases can build up regardless of the treatment used, particularly in hot weather. So you may at times need to use caution when opening the valve as those built up gases can rush out. It is recommend to do so with the lid down first to release any gases built up, then use, then flush. Use same caution when "servicing" the unit.

Scamper Jim here has a great mod where he added a vent to his porta potty for this same reason and I am about to do the same to mine. Dometic actually makes a retrofit vent/pump out connection that can be added to my Dometic model to convert it to a permanent installation, or you can buy a replacement black tank that already has it installed. This is common in the boating world from what I have found.

Back to your original question, Odorlos and Happy Camper both work in similar fashions as to how they address the "bad bacteria" that produces the offensive odors. With a vented black tank even if it is a porty potty I believe these are probably 2 of the best products available on the market without the "chemical" smell. YMMV
Old 06-27-2017, 03:48 PM   #6

Trailer: 77' Trillium
no bad smells

We use dawn dish soap and small amount of bleach. I read another post that said dawn and water softener( powdered)
Nadine Y. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:11 PM   #7

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
For what it's worth, Dawn comes in antibacterial and regular versions. The antibacterial is labeled. Compared to something like bleach, it is relatively mild.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:17 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Why not just use something that was formulated for the application?
Calgon is not cheap.
You also have to watch what chemical cloud you create, mixing your own "cleaner".

It is also a reminder that the mixing of bleach with some household cleansers (e.g. toilet bowl cleansers that contain acid) can generate chlorine gas, and mixing bleach with ammonia generates toxic chloramine vapor. Mixing bleach and ammonia is extremely dangerous, since toxic vapors will be produced.
What happens when you mix bleach and ammonia? - Quora

https://www.quora.com/What-happens-w...ch-and-ammonia
Old 06-28-2017, 09:19 AM   #9

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
How can I say this sensitively? I'll try...I, too, am mildly sensitive to chemical smells. We use our porta-potty for #1 only, do not put toilet paper in it and empty it frequently (always before traveling). The chemical we use is what's available at Walmart, nothing special (TST blue enzyme toilet chemical. We've even used a bit of detergent, such as Tide, in a pinch.) I suggest using a product marked "scentless" if you can find it. By doing so we have little smell and emptying the "tank" is an easy pour into a toilet or dump station. (Obviously, we use a campground or gas station toilet for #2.)
Some people prefer to have their porta-potty outdoors in a porta-potty tent. This method dissipates the odors outdoors.

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote