New black water holding tank for 1981 Bigfoot b17 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2015, 08:26 PM   #1

Name: Barbara
Trailer: bigfoot
Alberta
New black water holding tank for 1981 Bigfoot b17

We just purchased a 1981 Bigfoot b17 and had an RV inspection done so we could better see what needs immediate attention.

1. The black tank seems like it's been repaired a few times and isn't being held up all that well. The inspector recommended having it replaced ($$$$$) and welding a new support bracket. The previous owner was a bit of a "tinkerer" and it shows.
Any idea if I can test this before committing to a new one?? Can't I just put a bunch of water down there and wait??

2. Previous owner also installed a new stove top, which was once a stove /oven combo. Somehow, he removed the oven and installed the cooktop. There is a valve for the oven and he just clamped closed the valve. Not entirely safe, he said, just keep it on "off". So I'm on the hunt for a new stove/ cook top with no potential for leaking propane ! Any idea where to find one to fit an old Bigfoot. I've been searching but they all seem too small. I'm looking for 20x21.5"

Thanks in advance for all your help. My husband is cursing me for falling in love with a 1981 trailer!! I still love her, although now that we have these issues, the new curtains I envisioned may have to wait!!

Barb

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
babs08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:58 PM   #2

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 17' Big Foot
British Columbia
For the black tank I'm thinking you should fill it with water. Did you park it on a dry spot?
For the stove let me know what you find out . I may need to replace mine.
Good luck.
Jeff T H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:02 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Barb, you may want to check out RV Salvage Yards.
Canada listings are a bit more than half-way down: RV Salvage/Surplus Yards (List) Updated 3/4/15 - RV Forums - myRVparks.com

Erickson's is located in Idaho, but I thought I'd throw it in anyway: Used RV Parts - New RV Parts - Used refrigerators

Best of luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:50 PM   #4

Alberta
Thanks Donna, I will keep my eyes peeled. I will try Murphy's Rv in Edmonton! It's certainly not urgent, but I also don't want to miss an opportunity. I am more concerned about the black/grey holding tank as my husband sees big $$$$$ to repair. But we are in it now!!!

Old 03-14-2015, 10:02 AM   #5

Name: Rich
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot Fifth Wheel
Texas
Hi Barb,

I have an 87 Bigfoot 5er. The oven doesn't work because the oven valve failed. They don't make it anymore. The valve was removed and replaced with a cap, so no worry about a leak. This might work for you.

Meanwhile, I'm looking for a used oven valve. Perhaps the one you have might work on my oven. If you would post a photo of the valve, I might be interested in buying it from you.

Good luck with your new to you Bigfoot. They're great trailers!

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Rich Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:56 PM   #6

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ess View Post
Hi Barb,

I have an 87 Bigfoot 5er. The oven doesn't work because the oven valve failed. They don't make it anymore. The valve was removed and replaced with a cap, so no worry about a leak. This might work for you.

Meanwhile, I'm looking for a used oven valve. Perhaps the one you have might work on my oven. If you would post a photo of the valve, I might be interested in buying it from you.

Good luck with your new to you Bigfoot. They're great trailers!

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Hi Rich, our girl is currently getting a few things looked at , furnace cleaning and the likes... When we get her back I'll post a pic for you! But I should say that the stove top on mine is not original, it's a Clare Jewel. I'll take pics instead of describing ... Much more effective! . Probably won't be until next weekend!

Thanks,
Barb

Old 03-15-2015, 06:22 PM   #7

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
The 3 burner cook top on our Standard model (no oven) is a "Wedgewood". I don't know if the Deluxe model with oven had the same brand. Good luck on your search.

Kitchen Photo by tomNjo | Photobucket
Old 03-15-2015, 06:41 PM   #8

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Atwood Wedgewood Vision Stainless Steel Stove | eBay
Bottom dollar has these stove/ovens all the time.
Just a thought
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:36 PM   #9

Name: Gardnpondr
Trailer: 1985 BigFoot G
Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Trostel View Post
The 3 burner cook top on our Standard model (no oven) is a "Wedgewood". I don't know if the Deluxe model with oven had the same brand. Good luck on your search.

Kitchen Photo by tomNjo | Photobucket

My 1985, 19' double axle Bigfoot has the Wedgewood oven and stove.
Gardnpondr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot