Noisy propane water heater - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2020, 04:16 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Noisy propane water heater

My water heater is noisy So was the one on my old Styrofoam box. I adjusted the air in my old unit and it quieted down but made the side of the RV sooty. So I figured I better look it up before I stained the side of my BigFoot.

I found a good post on the web from the RV doctor. It seems the gas mixing tube needs to be nice and straight. I went out and checked mine and sure enough there was a bend in the joint of the mixing area. I haven't adjusted it yet but I am very optimistic about it now.

On a sad note the RV doctor passed away from Corvid on April 17. It made me very sad that he is gone because of this despicable situation. He is still helping people even though he is gone. I tip my hat to him RIP.

The RV Doctor: Noisy Water Heater Redux
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:58 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
It sounds like you are adjusting the fuel/air mixture. That adjustment is not made to achieve quiet. It is to adjust to the proper mixture. Too rich will be quieter, but definitely not what you want. If you want to adjust it properly, you will need an analyzer. Until then, set it in about the middle of the adjustment range.

Sometimes the jet or the mixing area can get clogged with a spider web. If this happens the noise can be louder, and the flame will be backed up into the mixing tube. You cannot fix this by sliding the collar. It must be cleaned.
Old 05-16-2020, 07:41 AM   #3

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
It sounds like you are adjusting the fuel/air mixture. That adjustment is not made to achieve quiet. It is to adjust to the proper mixture. Too rich will be quieter, but definitely not what you want. If you want to adjust it properly, you will need an analyzer. Until then, set it in about the middle of the adjustment range.

Sometimes the jet or the mixing area can get clogged with a spider web. If this happens the noise can be louder, and the flame will be backed up into the mixing tube. You cannot fix this by sliding the collar. It must be cleaned.
Did you watch the video? The mixing area needs to be straight and centered before adjusting the mixture. I tried a couple of times on my old camper and didn't get it right. I also had to remove a cobweb once.
This additional information changes everything in my estimation.

Old 05-16-2020, 09:55 AM   #4

Name: Rick
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Thanks for sharing those videos! My heater is noisy and I just assumed that's the way it is but now I'm looking forward to checking it out later today.
threepine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 10:29 AM   #5

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by threepine View Post
Thanks for sharing those videos! My heater is noisy and I just assumed that's the way it is but now I'm looking forward to checking it out later today.
I just came back in from working on my heater. I loosened all attaching screws and wiggled, tweaked, and slightly bent things into alignment. I did not adjust the air shutter.

I turned on the heater and it was much better. The roaring pops and backfires were gone but it didn't have a consistent noise to it and it got worse when I closed the cover. My air shutter was open like in the video and there are 2 notches in the shutter. Maybe they are kind of a preset adjustment for two different capacity heaters.

Anyway I set it like the video but maybe a little nosier. If I don't get any soot I may close it a little more. I am satisfied with it now.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:44 PM   #6

Name: Wil
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Soot is an indication that you don't have enough air. You can also check the flame. If the end is tipped with a lot of yellow you haven't got enough air. These burners are basically blow torches and will make some noise if they are adjusted right.
wilyoung is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane