not using the black tank (valves) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2023, 11:56 AM   #1

Name: Catya
Trailer: Scamp
WI
not using the black tank (valves)

Hello,
I don't intend to use the black water tank in my 2016 13' Scamp.
What must I do to keep the black water tank's valves healthy, given that I won't be using the tank?
Thank you,
Catya
P.S. Preemptive strike: Why, you ask? Cause I really don't want to deal with dumping it. No need to tell me why I should. Thanks. :^D
Catya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 12:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You don't need to keep them healthy if you're not going to use the black tank. Eventually the rubber ring that seals the valve will get brittle and hard. It happens even for those that use the tank.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 02:31 PM   #3

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
^^I agree. However, if you really want to do something, there is drain lubricant.https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-Drai.../dp/B000BGK2L0 I don't think it could hurt anything.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 09:01 AM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Do you have a gray water tank for sink water? If so, you will need to dump that using the same dumping mechanism as the black water tank. Or, are they combined in one tank and you donít use any water in the Scamp so there is nothing to dump? Just curious.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 12:14 PM   #5

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
You must have a very strong bladder.....as for maintenence.......spray some silcone lube on the rubber valves once a year or so......WD 40 makes a silicone product.....so do other companies. Good luck.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 12:27 PM   #6

Name: Catya
WI
Thank you!

Thank you for your responses!
I might use the gray water. I don't think dumping the grey water will be as off-putting as the black water would be--but I have not yet had a chance to use the camper at all--so what do I know? They are separate.
For the past 3 years, I bought a luggable loo when tent camping and never used it once. I tend to camp where I have easy access to the facilities.
Who knows, as I continue to age I might have need; but advanced age probably makes the dumping harder, too, so...
Again, Thanks!
Catya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 01:49 PM   #7

Tennessee
If you ever change your mind, folks here will be more than happy to expound on the advantages of using all amenities. Possibly also ameliorate some of your concerns.
Old 01-24-2023, 11:39 AM   #8

Washington
Over the years....we camped in almost every way.....nothing wrong with your plan and campground facilities are fine most of the time. I will tell you that dumping the tanks is not difficult......if you can fill your gas tank you can dump your tanks. I bet an experienced camper could have you trained and comfortable in 30 minutes. Have someone show you.....using your own bathroom and shower can be a real pleasure. Good luck no matter which you decide.
Old 01-25-2023, 12:20 AM   #9

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
I try not to use the black tank for poop but it don't always work that way. I am up two or three times during the night so it gets a lot of pee in it, plus the kitchen sink water from the dishpan gets emptied into it.

I wished my trailer were plumbed like my motor home was. bathroom sink and toilet goes to the black tank, and shower and kitchen sink to the gray tank. Adds enough water to the black to make it empty properly. Winnebago seems to do all of the motor homes that way, and it works well.

Charles
Old 01-25-2023, 12:55 AM   #10

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
I try not to use the black tank for poop but it don't always work that way. I am up two or three times during the night so it gets a lot of pee in it, plus the kitchen sink water from the dishpan gets emptied into it.

I wished my trailer were plumbed like my motor home was. bathroom sink and toilet goes to the black tank, and shower and kitchen sink to the gray tank. Adds enough water to the black to make it empty properly. Winnebago seems to do all of the motor homes that way, and it works well.

Charles
We use our bathroom sink so little the amount would be meaningless. I would want our toilet and kitchen sink going to the black tank. We do this anyway, since we wash our dishes in a tub and empty that tub in our black tank.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 06:49 AM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
All this discussion about adding gray water to the black tank... remember, this thread started as a Scamp discussion and a Scamp black water tank is only 9 gallons. Pretty tiny to be adding unnecessary water type to it. A number of people have a hard time stretching their camping trips because the black tank fills. The gray water tank is 21 gallons.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 11:36 AM   #12

Washington
Based on earlier discussions......I recommend this book.......

https://www.amazon.com/Poop-That-Que.../dp/B09CRSP3C9
Old 01-25-2023, 04:55 PM   #13

Name: Peter
Michigan
Urine Diverting Road Commode Composting Toilet

I removed the original blank tank toilet from my Scamp. I did not like the "leftovers" in the tank, despite doing a cleaning (which meant moving more water into it). So now I use a toilet that has separate containers to handle waste.

Using coconut coir for the solid dries it and there is no oder. It "cooks" works well in an established compost pile. The container for urine can be used in the flower beds or disposed of in a toilet as needed.
Kumpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 07:27 PM   #14

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumpel View Post
Using coconut coir for the solid dries it and there is no oder. It "cooks" works well in an established compost pile.
Does the toilet hold enough coir+ for an entire trip or do you have to store it somehow until you return home to your compost pile?
Old Yesterday, 11:57 AM   #15

Name: Peter
Michigan
It's a five gallon bucket for the solids. I line it with plastic 3 gallon bag and use two cups of coir to start with. add another two when I'm finished. How quickly you need to exchange is up to your comfort level. I've stored the camper with contents in the bag for several weeks and did not have an issue with pests or smell.
Kumpel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp