Parkliner door opens on road - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2020, 08:13 PM   #1

Name: Susan
Trailer: Parkliner
Florida
Parkliner door opens on road

So my 2016 Parkliner door opens while being towed. Even with both locks locked. We have to tie it all up so it won’t pop open. Maybe loose hinges? Not sure where to find replacements.
susanblue1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 09:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
More than likely your latch and or dead bolt is not getting full extension behind the striker. It is possible to lock or be apparently latched without being fully extended.
You should press fairly hard on the latch mechanism after you close the door from the outside and then gently shake the handle to check it... then lock it with the key.
A little practice and you will feel it or hear it click the latch all the way out.

Check the striker to be sure that the latch fully extends behind the striker....
The striker may need adjustment for depth as well as how tight it holds the door.
Too tight and you will have difficulty getting the latch to fully extend,
Too loose and the latch may allow the door to rattle or shake itself open.

Of course if the latch/lock doesn't operate properly when observed with door open, it will need adjustment repair or replacement.

Hope this helps.

If your hinges are bad the door would have noticeable movement laterally or vertically when manipulated with the door open.

If you are coming to Sebring in February, We can take a look at it
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 09:27 PM   #3

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I posted this years ago. What was intended as a temporary fix has become permanent...
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...tml#post431008
On edit: the metal piece that I tie the cord to has been modified to create a cleat. Much easier than what the picture shows.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 04:25 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Whether your hinge is the problem or not, do lubricate it. The original Parkliner hinge was manufactured in house using a universal joint purchased at Lowes. Unfortunately, the hinges rust and a replacement would have to be manufactured. There was talk of somebody going into the business of making them but I don't know if that ever happened. When Liberty took over they changed the hinge.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 06:33 AM   #5

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Does the door seal properly when you close it? Do you see daylight through any gaps? Do you have to lift up on the door to close it?

The Parkliner doors have a tendency to sag over time. If that is the problem, the door needs to be removed - just open door and lift door off hinges. Then the hinges (hopefully just 1) needs to be relocated so that the door fits tightly.

I may still have the procedure if you find that is the problem.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 10:01 AM   #6

Name: Tom
North Carolina
Door problem

I will help you resolve your issues with your Parkliner door if you wish. I owned one and ran the manufacturing facility. Contact me at tombass336@gmail.com.
Thomasl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 06:34 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Outback
Trailer: Outback trillium trailer
Alberta
Parkliner Trailer

Hello Susan, we here at outback trailers recently purchased the whole Parkliner trailer company and had it shipped to Canada. At this time were getting ready to put together the first prototype Parkliner, we have spent months repairing all the moulds and rounding up beautiful fixture for the new Parkliner. As for your door issue chances are a simple repair, do to the door frame having aluminum hinges on the door they will wear down and sage the door, if you check the door strike on the outside frame good chance it may just need some fine tuning for the main door strike to hit on the proper spot.
Joe at Outback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 06:45 PM   #8
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
A discussion of the original Parkliner hinge with pictures.

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ing-70869.html
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 06:56 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Name: Outback
Trailer: Outback trillium trailer
Alberta
suzann parkliner

We received 30 Parkliner door on purchasing the company, they all have aluminum hinges, are yours the earlier custom built steel ones from my understanding they were proto typing door hinges for awhile. Even if those can be modified & adjusted, adjusting the door strike by far a simple solution.
Joe at Outback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:30 AM   #10

Name: Beth
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanblue1960 View Post
So my 2016 Parkliner door opens while being towed. Even with both locks locked. We have to tie it all up so it won’t pop open. Maybe loose hinges? Not sure where to find replacements.
Hi susanblue1960. We also own a 2016 Parkliner that had a similar problem, that being that I couldn't throw the deadbolt with my key after I closed the door. The problem has to do with the door hinges. The universal hinges allow the door to "droop" over time such that the top of the door leans towards the back of the trailer. Stupid design. Close your door and look down the left side of the door. I think you'll find that the door - trailer-door-frame gap is minimal at top and normal at bottom. This leads to your inability to latch the door; door and door frame not aligned. Floyd's correct. You throw the deadbolt with your key, but it doesn't engage the trailer door frame, i.e., it's not completely thrown. Two fixes:
Quick, temporary fix: Close the door, then with one hand, lift the door upward by applying upward pressure on the deadbolt or the door handle. Now throw the deadbolt completely. This is a pain in the butt, awkward, and it may require fairly significant strength.
Longer term fix: I purchased a 46" x 93" rubber mat ("Foammat",from Lowes?, < $10); its a 4' x 6' workout mat (much more than you'll need) that you sometimes see on the floor of a gym where folks lift weights, about 1/4th inch thick, diamond plate texture. From this I cut (with scissors) a strip the width of the upper left door frame, and ran it the length of the door frame from the top left to ~ an inch above the door handle bolt receptacle in the door frame. I glued it in with a strong adhesive. It wasn't enough, I still couldn't throw the deadbolt. So I cut a 2nd strip about half as long and ran it from top left to half way down the first strip. Now the deadbolt engages completely. Prior to gluing, you can use the scissors to bevel the leading edges so that the door shuts tightly but smoothly. If you need picts, I can send - rfn104@gmail.com.
Doggonehappy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 12:32 PM   #11

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggonehappy1 View Post
Hi susanblue1960. We also own a 2016 Parkliner that had a similar problem, that being that I couldn't throw the deadbolt with my key after I closed the door. The problem has to do with the door hinges. The universal hinges allow the door to "droop" over time such that the top of the door leans towards the back of the trailer. Stupid design. Close your door and look down the left side of the door. I think you'll find that the door - trailer-door-frame gap is minimal at top and normal at bottom. This leads to your inability to latch the door; door and door frame not aligned.
Your assessment is right, but the solution is to move the top hinge.
Old 11-16-2020, 02:43 PM   #12

Florida
Thanks for your help. The locks do seem to work. We just lift the door up while locking and it locks. After a few miles, it works its way open. Of course, now we tie it up. Started during a 6 week trip.
What is in Sebring?
Old 11-16-2020, 02:45 PM   #13

Florida
Thank you! We’ve been tying it since the issue started while we were in the middle of a 5,000+ trip.
Old 11-16-2020, 02:46 PM   #14

Florida
The door closes fine. It just works it’s way unlocked as we drive. We do have to lift up on the handle when locking. Thanks for your help!
Old 11-16-2020, 02:51 PM   #15

Florida
What would be involved in moving the hinge? Sounds scary! Thanks for your help!
Old 11-16-2020, 03:00 PM   #16

Florida
The hinges are original 2016. How would I fine tune them? Thanks so much!
Old 11-16-2020, 04:02 PM   #17

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanblue1960 View Post
What would be involved in moving the hinge? Sounds scary! Thanks for your help!
Tom Bass posted his email tombass336@gmail.com earlier in the thread. I learned of the fix from someone who learned it from Tom, so try contacting him.

If for some reason you can't reach Tom, let me know and I will give you directions to do it. It's much simpler than it sounds.
Old 11-16-2020, 04:09 PM   #18

Florida
Thanks! My husband talked to Tom and is currently in the driveway working on it.
Old 11-21-2020, 12:03 PM   #19

Name: Patti
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner
Virginia
So our door hinge became loose and we did a lot of researching on this. It can be replaced and the hinge is a gate hinge that you will have to search for at a place that has fence and gate supplies. The hinge on the door can only be accessed by removing the door window.
The hinge on the body is accessible on the inside of the camper closet. Much easier.
We replaced the 1/4" craftsman or Kobalt flex socket. These are found at Lowes. But then we needed to replace the bushing inside the bottom of the flex socket which was harder to locate, but we finally found the right size. Like looking for a needle in a haystack. Taking the door off the hinges is easy but aligning it up when you put it back is a 2 person job and hard because the door is heavy. Best of luck to you!
PJ47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 12:07 PM   #20

Name: Patti
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner
Virginia
Wish we had known you before all of our trials with our door. It isn't perfect now but we do need to replace one of the parts that looks like a gate post hinge. We replaced the flexible socket and the bushing in side and had a time finding the bushing. Where may we get the hinge? Thanks,
PJ
PJ47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner