Parkliner maiden voyage...water questions. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2014, 01:25 PM   #1

Name: elli
Trailer: ordered parkliner
Wyoming
Parkliner maiden voyage...water questions.

Our first trip had it's mishaps and then it had it's conundrums. Our drive was a mere 4 1/2 hours with little wind for the southwest and all went well, we chose a spot with all the conveniences for our first run so we could check out our systems. Unfortunately our "telephone walk through" failed to educate us as to the refrigerator lock so we arrived to quite the scene on the camper floor, fortunately I had put a rug down which did a good job of soaking things up! Was an easy fix and now we know how the lock works.

We hooked up the water to the "city" water line and opened up the hot water by pass wherein we experienced excessive dripping (we are talking buckets here although the drain was closed on the same side of the trailer so no hot water for the trip. Closing the hot water bypass off again did stop the leaking so our plumber has that to help him sort it out..

Although we only used the city water port our tanks filled? We were under the impression that having separate fill stations would indicate a bypass of the tanks such as in the Casita when using only City water hook up? Otherwise why have two ports when one would do the job? Any feedback on this? At any rate we returned home full which seemed to cause quite a bit more sway than the trip out did, not to mention the waste of water which we ultimately had to dump.

We sure wish Chandler would grace us with a manual complete with labeled illustrations to help us sort these things out. Has anybody put a tank bypass in for city camping with a water hook up?

Hikes and cycling were lovely!
Elli
PSThanks Brian for the de- winterization details.
elli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:30 PM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
On mine there is a port to fill the tank like filling a gas can.
The city water port screws on like a water hose to the house.
It bypasses the tank and straight to the faucets.

Maybe someone mis-installed the plumbing?
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:52 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I don't know for sure, but maybe there is a one-way valve to let water out of the tank and into the line, and that valve is malfunctioning (letting water go the wrong way)? Just a guess.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:19 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
The valves in the water pump usually prevent city water from flowing back into the supply tank. I suspect a plumbing error, same thing for the leaks only when the bypass is open etc.

It's a shame that you didn't get an full check out when you picked it up, much less a manual of some sort.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:24 PM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
When you connected to city water did you use a pressure reducer? High pressure can cause the plumbing connections to fail. Did the tank fill inlet overflow or was the tank partially full?

Two inlet ports but one faucet. There should be a one way valve either built into the pump or in line between the pump and the faucet to stop city water from filling the tank. If the tank fill inlet did not over flow then high pressure might have pushed some water past the one-way valve partially filling the tank. If it filled and overflowed then either the one way valve is missing or it failed. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:55 PM   #6

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Are problems like these common when getting a new trailer? I would be super annoyed if I paid good money for something and it was faulty! We have bought two 'new to us' trailers and they both worked as we were told. One had no water tank, neither had bathroom facilities, one had stiff windows that needed a shove to get them closed. Other than what we were told, or could see, what was supposed to be in working order was.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:25 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Hazel is its a common as it is to a new car or boat. Sometimes you buy something and there are no issues and someone else buys the same product and they have some issues - usually small issues that someone just didnt do right.

I personally know a few new Scamp owners that had a few items not right when they first picked up here trailers as well as Bigfoot and Escape owners.... pretty sure it happens with just about all the manufactures from time to time.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:36 PM   #8

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
Carol -- just wondering on our 16 ft scamps ... if we use the "pour in" method, fresh water goes straight to the fresh water tank. And if we use a hose (with water regulator of course) water goes directly to the sinks, bypassing the fresh water tank? (like Karl described on his lil Snoozy?)

S.
SharonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:55 PM   #9

Registry
Sharon yours is set up as mine is and just about everyone else trailers.

In the OP's case something is clearly not right. Seems when they filled the hot water tank it somehow managed to drain back into the fresh tank - which seems a little weird as I wouldn't think that the water could get pass the water pump to do that. Would have thought it would have a check valve on it which stops the hot water tank from draining back into the fresh water tank. Perhaps the OP's water pump is faulty or incorrectly installed? or perhaps a bypass valve is incorrectly placed. If there was no water regulator on the hose at the city intake then perhaps its possible the water pressure was so high it pushed passed/through the pump and that might explain why one of the water connections leaked as well. Or as the trailer is new there would have been a lot of air in the lines & water tank so if a faucet wasn't open & the pressure relief valve open on the hot water tank when they connected and turned on the city water then it could have blown something such as a check valve apart.....

Hopefully the OP will get it sorted out (doesn't sound like a really big issue on the big scale of trailer problems) and let us know what caused it.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:38 PM   #10

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Duh.... If you read past postings pertaining to Parkliners you will find that a lot of buyers are just happy that their new FGRV was finally delivered. As I recall (and expect to be corrected) this one was delivered about 7 months late?

I don't know about others, but I have never had a problem with pumps or holding tanks on a new car I purchased, and they always at least come with a manual.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:15 PM   #11

Registry
I agree Bob they do indeed seem to have a higher than the average trailer manufacture of problems with new deliveries and the lack of an owners manual is a real head stretcher.... which could have possible played a part in this situation.

But as I said they are not the first and am sure will not be the last trailer manufacture or car manufacturer for that matter to have delivered a product with an issue or two.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:48 PM   #12

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
My Scamp water tank fill was broken on the inside the first time I filled the tank I ended up having over 5 gallons of water in the floor. Prior I'd only had used "city water" hookup. I just replaced the broken part. I just wish I'd been a member of this group then and done a different fill port.
What day was yours finished Monday or Friday almost any company has stuff to go sideways on occasion, some more than others though. I'm one of the people that always get that "oops" product too.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:59 PM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Lack of warranty terms in writing is another real head stretcher.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:55 AM   #14

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
honestly not sure on the water connections....I have never hooked up to the city line yet lol. I would like to assume they should be separate. Did you call?

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:25 AM   #15

Name: elli
Trailer: ordered parkliner
Wyoming
Thanks all- I think we have some much appreciated info to share with the plumber when he gets to us. Hopefully we can correct these problems easily and efficiently. We'll be sharing your related feedback with him as well as the casita manual a friend printed out for us.
Since we are in NM and Parkliner is in NC we've accepted the fact they are not going to be the party who will ultimately remedy our situation- of course we were assured it went through a "thorough" personal inspection by Chandler himself before being released for delivery- not alot more we could do under the circumstances and yes it's obviously a huge issue to not have a manual of any kind other than those (product installation guides) that come from the appliance mfrs. Which of course were included with the rig.
I'll keep you posted as the story unfolds.
elli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:28 AM   #16

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by elli View Post
Our first trip had it's mishaps and then it had it's conundrums. Our drive was a mere 4 1/2 hours with little wind for the southwest and all went well.

Sorry, I can't help with your water issue as I am one of those that has to see it, to figure out what's happening. Only wanted to comment on your comment that you had a "Little wind" on your drive to your first glass adventure! Being a neighbor who has spent a lot of time in WY I can say, that's a good thing ! Enjoy your first glass adventure. I hope the water issue gets resolved and the rest of your trip is perfect. I will suggest asking neighboring campers, you will be surprised how friendly and helpful camping neighbors can be.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:02 AM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by elli View Post
Since we are in NM and Parkliner is in NC we've accepted the fact they are not going to be the party who will ultimately remedy our situation- of course we were assured it went through a "thorough" personal inspection by Chandler himself before being released for delivery- not alot more we could do under the circumstances
Have they arranged the plumber for you? Even though you are not near them they still are the party who should be arranging and paying for the repair.

Most RV manufactures will direct an owner needing warranty work to an RV shop near you that they have arranged for & will pay for it to be fixed at for you.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:13 AM   #18

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I agree with Carol, most will direct you to repairs. Hope it gets figured out for you. And enjoy the great weather we have been having. Tonight in to tomorrow, as I am sure you have heard is suppose to get a little snow and cold but the weather is suppose to pop back to beautiful by thursaday! Enjoy!

Ok, so after just reading your in NM. I will take back my comment on WY wind .

And say, Holy campers, you made it from WY to NM in 4 1/2 hours? Alrighty then, perhaps you created the little bit of wind! Dang! I have made that drive more than once and I couldn't do it in 4 1/2 hours!
LOL........

Part of the adventure is enjoying the journey to the adventure! Enjoy!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:14 AM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Has OP said somewhere that they used a pressure reduction valve on the city water line? If not, it may not be a warranty issue.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:26 AM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Has OP said somewhere that they used a pressure reduction valve on the city water line? If not, it may not be a warranty issue.
Agree Glenn it may not be a warranty issue - could have been due to a lack of a pressure reduction valve as has been suggested by a few people or it could have been due to not releasing the air from the hot water tank or lines when hooking up the city water .... but if the trailer manufactures doesn't supply a manual to their purchasers then stuffs going to happen.

Either way though until someone in the know actually looks at it to confirm what/how it happened Parkliner can't say that it is not theirs to arrange for repair of and/or pay for if it turns out it was caused by something not installed correctly.

Tags
parkliner