Portable Propane Heater - Anyone Use This? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2021, 05:05 PM   #21

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfleissner View Post
Has anyone used something like this
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Mi....c100005.m1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Handyman View Post
I bought this heater last year and used it at different lakes in Oregon during very cold weather. I have a Hunter Compact II trailer with a popup top. I removed the burner grill from the stove and place the heater directly on the stove top, put the burner on med high, and cracked a window. The burner kept the trailer warm, not hot, but did it's job. I would buy again. Make sure you have a window cracked open for ventilation.
This afternoon I decided to look at this heater again, especially after Bob's review. It's a simple concept and don't know how many more nights we will get with our Martin catalytic heater. I see a heater with potential and at it's cost ($23.97 including tax) decided to pull the trigger.

It won't arrive until January 19 at the earliest, but we're leaving for the southwest by January 14, so I'm having it shipped to a friend in Tucson for us to pick up at his home in February.

It appears to take up very little space, and over time we've gained space in our Escape 5th wheel by leaving stuff home we don't use, so we have plenty of space to store it. Along with our Mr Buddy and Martin heaters we'll have plenty of backup for when the sail switch in our furnace fails again. We do a lot of camping in cold weather.

When we get back in the spring I'll return to this thread for a review.

Thanks to Bfleissner and Bob The Handyman for helping me rethink my initial opinion.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:48 AM   #22

Name: Alan
Trailer: Shopping
California
Catalytic heaters

I have a catalytic heater (Wave) connected to propane for my 13' Burro. I purchased this type of heater because it is very efficient, which means it releases less CO than other types of propane heaters like the Buddy and uses less propane.

I still have a CO detector in the Burro and still keep a window and top vent cracked.

I didn't know about the Martin model when I bought my Camco Wave. I may buy a Martin just for the convenience of not having to disconnect and reconnect my Camco. I have the smallest Camco Wave and it is overkill so far (but I haven't been in subzero or even near freezing temps yet).
alanrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:17 PM   #23

Trailer: Miti Lite 1987
Butane vs propane? I choose propane everytime, as butane has much less energy and altitude related efficiency. Cant even boil water to get it hot at 6,000ft.
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:19 PM   #24

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2018 13' Scamp
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I see you got what you wanted; somebody, anybody, to tell you that what you want to do is OK, no matter how ill-advised.
Glenn, that's funny, and all too often true, both of me and everybody I know. Humans are amazing, they have the power to believe whatever they want!
Happy New Year to you and all good humens
jeffminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 02:15 PM   #25

Trailer: Casita 17' SD
California
Registry
From what I can tell the heater uses those isobutane canisters which are expensive. I can see using this fuel to heat water or cook but could end up being costly as a heating source.
EggRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 03:08 PM   #26

Name: Verla
Trailer: In the market
California
Propane heaters

The one you reference specifically says “outdoor.” If that’s your plan, then ok to use. But not indoors.
vmcfay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:14 PM   #27

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
This may be a stupid question, but what is the advantage of this device over just running your stove for a bit? I mean either way 100% of the heat, (and exhaust products) ends up in the trailer, assuming you don't use it outdoors.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:19 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmcfay View Post
The one you reference specifically says “outdoor.” If that’s your plan, then ok to use. But not indoors.
I plan on using mine indoors. I understand lawyer talk, but also know how to safely vent the stove, and keep burnables away from a gas stove.

As always, YMMV.

Perry
Old 01-06-2021, 07:37 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
This may be a stupid question, but what is the advantage of this device over just running your stove for a bit? I mean either way 100% of the heat, (and exhaust products) ends up in the trailer, assuming you don't use it outdoors.
The stove puts out the same exhaust products that are exhausted when cooking. By using two vents most of those products leave the camper.

The purchased stove heats up and radiates heat better.

We have no plans for this stove to be our primary heat. I sat up one night running the stove at 15 F outside, while Terry slept because the camper supplied furnace sail switch failed us (numerous times). I have no idea how many nights we'll get with our Martin before the stove is polluted, so this little stove/radiator will serve as a backup to the backup.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Old 01-06-2021, 09:00 PM   #30

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
[QUOTE=Bfleissner;801718]Hello... we have a scamp19. We don't do winter camping, but there have been the occasional cold night. The built in gas heater we have works fine, but it's noisy as all get out, so I was looking around for a quieter solution. I've had a Mr. Heater buddy unit before, but since we will rarely use it, I don't want to dedicate that much space to carrying it. And I want to be able to boondock with it
Has anyone used something like this

I had the same problem with our scamp 13 foot with a very noisy heater. Since selling it I discovered the thread in the Fiberglass RV web forum about quieting the suburban heater. It really made sense to me since I had the heater apart trying to look for a possible bad bearing, and what I saw it does make sense in their article to quiet it. If you don’t want to go that route I have put a pro packs ducted furnace in our little Snoozy which is much much smaller than the factory supplied furnace and is very very quiet. The heater you were looking at would be like has been stated, no different than turning on your stove top burners to heat the place. I hope this helps.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 12:59 PM   #31

Name: Dennis
Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16
Idaho
Scamp Suburban Heater Noise

The heater in my 1999 Scamp 16' squeals when it first starts and then usually sounds normal after warming up. I've had the fan replaced but still have the problem. Anybody else have this problem? Suggestions? Thanks!
denswaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 01:18 PM   #32

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
Did you have the fan motor replaced or just the fan blades. If the motor was or wasn't replaced, could be the motor bearings need couple drops of oil.
Lockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 02:10 PM   #33

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockman View Post
Did you have the fan motor replaced or just the fan blades. If the motor was or wasn't replaced, could be the motor bearings need couple drops of oil.

If they are not "life-time sealed" bearings. They last for the life of the bearings.
Old 01-07-2021, 05:59 PM   #34

Idaho
New motor. Will try some oil if I can easily get to the motor. Thanks!
Old 01-07-2021, 07:56 PM   #35

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by denswaer View Post
The heater in my 1999 Scamp 16' squeals when it first starts and then usually sounds normal after warming up. I've had the fan replaced but still have the problem. Anybody else have this problem? Suggestions? Thanks!
I believe the article about quieting the suburban furnace is the answer to your problems. I had thought the noise was from bearings, but not so. The squealing noise actually is caused from the metal shroud rubbing against its self. The article explains how to rectify this.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:06 PM   #36

Idaho
Suburban Heater Sqealing

You mentioned an article that apparently addresses this. Where do I find this article? Thanks.

Tags
propane