Portable Propane Heater - Anyone Use This? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2021, 01:27 AM   #1

Name: Brett
Trailer: Scamp
Nevada
Portable Propane Heater - Anyone Use This?

Hello... we have a scamp19. We don't do winter camping, but there have been the occasional cold night. The built in gas heater we have works fine, but it's noisy as all get out, so I was looking around for a quieter solution. I've had a Mr. Heater buddy unit before, but since we will rarely use it, I don't want to dedicate that much space to carrying it. And I want to be able to boondock with it

Has anyone used something like this
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Mi....c100005.m1851
Bfleissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 08:22 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I would kindly suggest you use the search function .There have been numerous threads discussing using unvented portable propane heaters in an enclosed space on this forum
This subject usually goes from an academic discussion to personal insults in short order ( See most recent thread on subject ) so I have no comment—. Don’t need the insults
HAPPY NEW YEAR
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 10:32 AM   #3

Name: Hank
Trailer: Casita
OH
I bought a buddy heater, set off the CO2 alarm within 5 minutes, been sitting in my garage ever since. I may try it in pop up gazebo we use.
Amazinghank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 10:59 AM   #4

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I know of a fellow Casitan who had the entire inside of his trailer burn up due to a Mr. Buddy Heater. "Nuff said."
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 11:10 AM   #5

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
I know of a fellow Casitan who had the entire inside of his trailer burn up due to a Mr. Buddy Heater. "Nuff said."
Hi Greg — Happy New Years !! Glutton for punishment ?
Old 01-01-2021, 12:51 PM   #6

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Anything improperly used can kill!

How many people die in cars a year? Yet we still drive.
How many people die from guns? Yet we still hunt.
How many fall off cliffs? Yet we still hike.

I could go on and on.

BTW, our Mr Buddy Heater has yet (notice I said yet) to set off any alarm in our camper. The alarm being set off tells you something is wrong. Perhaps it's being used as an unvented heater, or is at end of life.

I know it's a hard concept for some to understand, but an unvented heater can be vented. I've always said in previous threads if you don't understand how to properly vent an unvented heater you shouldn't use one.

I personally don't like the idea of the OP's heater, but I have to go now for today's dinner.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 01:46 PM   #7

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
Brett,

That's a definite no no. I have a buddy heater that I have used in my garage a couple of times. Using a heater that you are looking at could easily start a fire in a small space as a Scamp 19. Not to mention all the other possibilities, co in the Scamp, less O2 in the air. Put up with the noise it's somewhat safer.

Jack
Lockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 02:33 PM   #8

Nevada
Well thank you all. As I wrote, I did not want to use a Buddy Heater. I guess I will look at back packing heaters.
BTW, I did use the search and all the posts were about proper venting, etc. when using a heater, but that is not what I was asking
Old 01-01-2021, 03:09 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfleissner View Post
BTW, I did use the search and all the posts were about proper venting, etc. when using a heater, but that is not what I was asking

Suggest you rephrase your question then.
IMO, that thing you linked to is destined to fall over.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 1.07.44 PM.jpg  
Old 01-01-2021, 04:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Well thank you all. As I wrote, I did not want to use a Buddy Heater. I guess I will look at back packing heaters.
Interesting, what backpack heaters are you looking at?

The only two heaters we found acceptable for overnight heating were a Martin and the smallest Wave heater. Both are catalytic and MUST be vented. I certainly would be interested in hearing about any other heater you find.

Thanks,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Old 01-01-2021, 04:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockman View Post
Brett,

That's a definite no no. I have a buddy heater that I have used in my garage a couple of times. Using a heater that you are looking at could easily start a fire in a small space as a Scamp 19. Not to mention all the other possibilities, co in the Scamp, less O2 in the air. Put up with the noise it's somewhat safer.

Jack
I don't routinely put burnables next to our stovetop, so it's relatively safe. Same goes for our Buddy. OTOH, we don't camp with dogs or children.

If you vent with TWO opposing windows cracked open a 1/4" you vent and don't have to worry about CO or a lack of O2. However if you leave your windows shut you stand a very good chance of dying. Your choice.

There's probably 1,000 to 10,000 Buddy or Wave catalytic heaters being used this weekend in fish houses in Minnesota alone. Alcohol consumption in these fish houses is common place. About every 2-4 years some idiot uses a Buddy or Wave in a tight fish house and dies. Probably the same number that die from driving after drinking in those fish houses.

Enjoy,

Perry

Old 01-01-2021, 06:19 PM   #12

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Compact II by Hunter Ind
CA
small burner heater

I bought this heater last year and used it at different lakes in Oregon during very cold weather. I have a Hunter Compact II trailer with a popup top. I removed the burner grill from the stove and place the heater directly on the stove top, put the burner on med high, and cracked a window. The burner kept the trailer warm, not hot, but did it's job. I would buy again. Make sure you have a window cracked open for ventilation.
Bob The Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 06:53 PM   #13

Nevada
Great info Bob. Thank you
Old 01-01-2021, 06:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Great info Bob. Thank you

I see you got what you wanted; somebody, anybody, to tell you that what you want to do is OK, no matter how ill-advised.
Old 01-01-2021, 07:25 PM   #15

Nevada
Glenn I am sorry I make your life so miserable.

I wasn't waiting for a specific answer, just someone to answer the actual question I asked
Old 01-01-2021, 10:45 PM   #16

Name: Ace
Trailer: 16' Casita 13' Scamp and Teardrop
Chicagoland
Heater

I use a Buddy Heater. I ventilate and never run it while sleeping. I have heard good things about the Camco Olympian Wave heaters.
aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 11:18 PM   #17

Quote:
I wasn't waiting for a specific answer, just someone to answer the actual question I asked

Only question I saw is:
"Has anyone used something like this"
There are two possible answers. Yes or No.
You chose the answer you wanted.
Old 01-02-2021, 08:18 AM   #18

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Glenn I am sorry I make your life so miserable.

As my Father use to say , “ Don’t waste my time asking me my opinion when you’re just going to do what you want anyway
I ‘ll answer the question you asked “NO” and never will .
Old 01-02-2021, 09:33 AM   #19

Quote:
Has anyone used something like this
Actually folks, Bfleissner was looking for someone saying "Yes", but somehow we just can't accept that. "No's" were a waste of his time. Count me in that second category. I should have done a better job reading his original post.

Sorry,

Perry

Old 01-02-2021, 10:53 AM   #20

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Getting nahsty on here.

I use a Buddy heater when boondocking. I don't camp in the winter. I seem to wake up when the inside temperature of my Casita hits 47 degrees, I start up the buddy heater, with a window cracked open and the roof vent open a bit, and let the trailer heat up. I turn it off and go back to sleep.

I do not care for the exhaust smell that the heater puts out. Nor do I care for the space and weight it takes up, but being warm is a good thing. To get heat into the bathroom, I have a battery operated fan that I can use to direct the Buddy heat into it. In fact the fan helps to heat the whole trailer more evenly.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane