Propane and soot?? - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-01-2020, 06:03 PM   #1

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
Propane and soot??

I went camping for the last time this past weekend. (9th outing this year) stayed at a non-electric site to use the parts that I usually donít.

I have a question on using propane for hot water. I ended up with some black soot on the exhaust vent and on the side of my trailer. Is that common? I thought propane burns clean. Any insight is appreciated. (The two white streaks are finger swipes when we first noticed it. It mostly cleaned off at home.) BTW we ran the furnace and no soot by itís exhaust.
Attached Thumbnails
629CAD09-D304-48B4-ADD5-E3BDDB0149B2.jpg  
Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:30 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Wisconsin
Registry
That is not normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony D View Post
I went camping for the last time this past weekend. (9th outing this year) stayed at a non-electric site to use the parts that I usually donít.

I have a question on using propane for hot water. I ended up with some black soot on the exhaust vent and on the side of my trailer. Is that common? I thought propane burns clean. Any insight is appreciated. (The two white streaks are finger swipes when we first noticed it. It mostly cleaned off at home.) BTW we ran the furnace and no soot by itís exhaust.
I'd call Scamp about it and get it looked at by a pro.
Also, I noticed your "Scamp on a stick" picture. Have you posted yours in that thread?
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...res-90828.html
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 07:08 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Black Series HQ19
Smith Valley, Nevada
Tony, Propane burns clean if it is at the right mixture with air. Yours may have the mixture shutter closed too far, or it may have a spiderweb in the jet assembly.

Clean out the mixture tube, orofice area, adjust the shutter to about 1/2 way open, and try it again. The mixture is adjusted by sliding the outer collar to reveal the opening in the side of the tube, just beyond the jet.
Old 11-02-2020, 04:02 AM   #4

Name: virginia
Trailer: SCAMP
California
spider web in pipe after the flame .get pipe cleaner and twist around in pipe and that should do it . happened to me ,i use a oak twig to clean at camp spot.
piersons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 06:04 AM   #5

Ohio
Thanks much. Iíll check it out and let you know what I find.

(I just now posted our Scamp on a stick picture. Scrolling down the thread brought a smile to my face.)
Old 11-02-2020, 10:30 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony D View Post

That could indicate a lack or air (oxygen) to burn all the fuel.
Check for spider nests in the carburetor tube.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 11:55 AM   #7

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
TN
Registry
I would bet you had a hornets nest in there with that much soot. I would suggest you clean it up and fire it up again to see if it is still sooting up before I worried about adjusting anything.
Eric Frye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 02:16 PM   #8

Ohio
So I cleaned it up and ran a metal brush through the mixture tube. I had already winterized the camper so checking it out will have to wait until the spring. Thanks for all your inputs.

Tags
propane