pump working, but no water! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2012, 11:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 73 Boler 13 ft
pump working, but no water!

In our Boler 1700, we were happy when the water system worked first time after winter storage. But after being on the road a few hundred Km, we suddenly had no water at the kitchen faucet, or toilet! But we could see there was water in the tank below. The pump is fine, we can hear it running when the switch is "on". When we got home, my husband crawled under, unhooked the outflow line from the tank, and gave it a blast with the garden hose. It didn't work at first, but then we realized the faucet was left in 'on' position. So, we turned off the kitchen faucet, tried the blast again with the garden hose, and it worked. We are assuming the pump/ hoses lost the water needed to prime the system. But, if/when(!) it happens again, how do we fix it when we are travelling, and therefore dont have access to the pressure of a garden hose? Better yet, can it be prevented? Thanks! I hope I explained this okay....
Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:47 AM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Our pump stopped working. The problem turned out to be a small piece of debris that was caught inside the pump interfering with it's normal operation. I removed the debris to get the pump working and installed a strainer the pump manufacturer required but trailer manufacturer didn't install. So far so good. Raz

FloJet Stainless Steel Strainer 90° 1/2" Barb - Accessories - Fresh Water Pumps - Plumbing
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:02 AM   #3

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
yes,,was going to say just cause you hear the motor run,,,doesn't mean its pumping anything. gunk or floatsome in the impeller or plugging the tubing would have been my first guess.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:30 AM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I don't know how your rig is laid out, but the water tank is usually a gravity feed to the pump and no priming is required. My supply tank has a finger shaped filter screen in the tank outlet to keep stuff out of the pump, you might want to see if there is one in yours and clean it out also. In addition to crud in the pump head, you may be experiencing pump valve failure(s). Now might be a good time to find out if a pump head rebuild kit is available for your model pump.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 73 Boler 13 ft
Thank you. We never thought of dirt as being a possibility. We don't drink that water anymore, just because of the old plastic tank, so therefore we aren't particularly careful with the garden hose, when we are filling it up. Perhaps we should be more careful? Thanks.
Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:43 PM   #6

Name: Sean
Trailer: Bigfoot
Saskatchewan
I just went thought this with a sticky i am currently flipping (living in for a contract), I found out that the pump has to be level (ish) to work. I also am finding out that I need a new pressure switch for it as well.
Orcus79 is offline   Reply With Quote