Questions about Scamp Water/Waste System - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2014, 04:01 PM   #21

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
BTW if you are looking for a simple and easy way of keeping your black tank clean, simple dump a half bag or so of cubed ice into it after you have dumped it and drive on. The ice serves two purposes - the ice cleans the bottom of the tank by sliding around and as it melts there is no need to add any water to the tank before you use it again.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:30 PM   #22

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Everybody else had answered the questions well. My '84 doesn't have a shower pump.

As for the gray water, I got a cap for the dump valve that had a garden hose hookup on it, and I cut an old hose so it's about 15' long, and I just haul it home and dump it in the flower beds. A little bit of biodegradable soap and food bits won't hurt the plants.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 02:01 PM   #23

Name: CW
Trailer: Scamp 16 Standard (Coming May 1st!)
New Jersey
Scamp 16 plumbing

Hi All,
I've moved my questions to this thread from another, since I was getting off topic on the other one. Having never seen a Scamp up close I'm only now learning some things. I have basically the same questions as Tonya. That is, how to manage a sewage system that has grey water and black water discharging on opposite ends of the trailer? How does one do a full hookup at a campsite?
CharleyWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:24 PM   #24

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft 1996
Send a message via MSN to Ron Walker
Charley, we try to park centering the park sewer hookup between the gray water and the black water disposal pipes. On our 16 Scamp that is right where the wheel is. Usually we hook up the gray water to the sewer and move to the black water or back and forth as needed. Your slinky should be long enough to hook to either. Same if you have to dump. Center the dump pipe between the gray and black hookups. Drain the black water first and then the gray water as the gray water can help clean out you sewer hose. It is really not that much of a problem.
Ron Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 04:26 PM   #25

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I think the OP has a side bath without the pump.
There is a thread about leveling the floor of the shower to send the water to the drain.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...own-66606.html
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:40 PM   #26

Registry
Charley as Ron suggested its pretty easy - simple park the trailer so the dump station is in the middle.... I always dump the black water first then the grey so that it clearness out the slinky hose.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:06 PM   #27

New Jersey
New Scamp

Thanks Carol and Ron. My experience to date has been with a pop up trailer with a porta potti. Dump stations will be something new. I'm probably overthinking the subject. My first thoughts concerned how to make a full hookup. Having looked at the cost of campsites nowadays it is unlikely that I'll be going for the price of a full hookup site.
Regards
CW
Old 10-19-2014, 09:29 PM   #28

Registry
When staying at campgrounds with full hook ups I don't put the slinky hose out until the tanks are full and need to be dumped, which is normally as I am packing up to leave. I am not the only one who does that - its pretty common. If its a full hook ups its a good bet the place also has showers and bathrooms to use rather than the trailers.... takes a number of days of just dish washing to fill the grey tank up.

BTW the best investment you can make is in a . 15' of hose compacts down to 5' when stored.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:39 PM   #29

New Jersey
New Scamp

Carol, I'm assuming the Rhino Flex Hose will fit into the Scamp 16 storage tube. I like your ice cube idea for the black water tank!
Old 10-20-2014, 07:39 AM   #30

Name: T
Trailer: Past Scamp Owner
Coastal Carolinas
Hi, CharleyWhiskey. I was the one who originally asked all of these questions. We've enjoyed camping with our Scamp a few times now, and I think I've got the hang of things. The first time we camped, I was stressing over the idea of emptying both tanks, but it turned out to be a lot easier than I expected. I am now the "poop pro" of our family of four and find emptying the tanks to be a breeze.

A few things...

Since our Scamp was used, I bought a new hose. (Just wanted my own instead of handling someone else's icky one.) I went with the Rhino that was already mentioned, and it works great, but I'm not sure I would choose it the second time around. The stiff flex hose can be a bit difficult to handle, and it does NOT fit in my 1990 Scamp 16' mounted tube, though we're pretty sure we can replace that with a bit larger one. (However, I can't see the end nozzle on a Rhino ever fitting into a tube. You would have to remove it from the hose each time, and then you would need to store it separately.) Right now, I keep the hose in a plastic bin that slides under the Scamp at the campsite until I need to use it.

I usually don't empty until it is time to depart from our campsite, though once I had to empty halfway through our stay. I do as others mentioned: I empty the gray tank first, and then empty the black. After emptying the black, while still hooked up to that tank, I do flush a fair amount of water through the hose before moving it to the gray tank. (I get Husband to flush and hold down the toilet mechanism while I am outside.) I do the same with the gray. (Again, get Hubs to run a bunch of water through the sink to "clean" the hose.) The entire process probably takes less than 10 minutes. Very easy!

Around our area, the full hookups are only a few bucks more, and it is WELL WORTH IT to not have to repack and hookup the Scamp and tow it to a dump station mid-camp. Just in case you didn't catch that, it is WELL WORTH IT. It is a lot of work to hook up the Scamp (and then to bring it back, unhook, and re-level) to the tow vehicle, yet it takes about 10 minutes to empty both tanks. IMO, it's not worth the stress of moving it.

We are a family of four, and we can usually go a weekend before we need to dump, but we mainly use the campsite's bathhouse. The Scamp tanks are small - makes sense, the Scamp is small - so if we only used the Scamp's facilities, we could probably fill up the tanks within 1-2 days. We try to reserve the Scamp bathroom for middle-of-the-night use. I do wash our small amount of dishes in the Scamp, and we brush our teeth there. That's about it.

If we were to camp somewhere for longer than a weekend, I would probably go ahead and hook up the gray tank to the sewage and let it flow directly so I wouldn't have to deal with checking it. And then just move the hose to the black when we needed to empty that.

So far, we have found camping in the Scamp to be surprisingly simple and an utter joy! Our family just got back last night from a trip in her, and as soon as we put the kids to bed, Husband and I were already researching campsites for our next trip!

Best wishes to you in your Scamping adventures!
Tonya L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:46 AM   #31

Coastal Carolinas
Oh and one other thing... I keep a box of disposable nitrile gloves in the Scamp to use when we are patting out burgers, handling raw chicken, etc. I also wear them when handling the hose and emptying the tanks. Love those things and really helps with the "ick" factor. Just a tip!
Old 10-20-2014, 10:31 AM   #32

Name: Drew
Trailer: 1987 Scamp 16ft, Layout 4
Minnesota
Tonya-

Since many of the campgrounds I end up at aren't full hookups, I have invested in a "tote'n'stor" waste transport. I got one with an 11gallon capacity (I can lift it on my own, it has wheels as well) so I can empty the grey water tank while at a site and then just lug the secondary tank over to the dump station.
I also "cold" weather camp on the edge of winter when many dump stations have already closed, so I am occasionally dumping back at my own home.

(http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0085KGOD4/)
DrewSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:58 AM   #33

Coastal Carolinas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewSK View Post
Tonya-

Since many of the campgrounds I end up at aren't full hookups, I have invested in a "tote'n'stor" waste transport. I got one with an 11gallon capacity (I can lift it on my own, it has wheels as well) so I can empty the grey water tank while at a site and then just lug the secondary tank over to the dump station.
I also "cold" weather camp on the edge of winter when many dump stations have already closed, so I am occasionally dumping back at my own home.

(http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0085KGOD4/)
Yes! I have seen these but so far haven't had a need for one. We haven't camped at a site without full hookup yet, but several campsites we would love to visit don't offer sewage hookup.

We were tent campers before we bought our Scamp, so we're accustomed to going without camper facilities. I do love a clean bathhouse though! I try to talk Husband out of the primitive areas unless there is a really good reason to camp there.

You brought up a great point about the cold-weather camping. We live in a fairly moderate climate and would like to camp as much this winter as weather allows. I've got to figure out what to do since I have heard that camper systems do not like freezing temps. We will probably stop using the water/waste system when the temp drops too low. We do get the occasional drop in temperature around here, but a hard freeze is very rare.

Thanks for your response! Love hearing about how others do things. It certainly helps!
Old 10-20-2014, 11:16 AM   #34

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyWhiskey View Post
Carol, I'm assuming the Rhino Flex Hose will fit into the Scamp 16 storage tube. I like your ice cube idea for the black water tank!
Charley if you do a google search on this forum you will find that a lot of folks have removed their Scamp issue slinky hose holder on the front of the trailer and many others have chosen to tell Scamp not to install it at the factory as it is a very poor way of storing. You are very restricted as to how long a hose you can put in it and any fittings needed to use it at the dump have to be removed from the hose every time you put it away and store them in a separate location. It also adds a few extra holes in the front of the trailer you don't need or want. Not to mention it looks funny mounted on the front!

I lot of people here have gone to using square PVC fence posts mounted under the trailer just ahead of the grey water tank. Put end caps on them - you will see many different approaches to doing that. I put hinges on mine and am pretty happy with the way it has worked out. You end up with a holder that you can hold a longer more functional slinky hose and leave the end attachments on it while stored. A photo of the one I added below.

As far as the Rhino hose being stiff goes I would suggest it bets the heck out of having one that tends to flex to much when you open up the valves resulting in it moving around and popping out of the dump hole creating a big mess! Also the other brands I have used over the years (there have been a few) are made of pretty light weight coverings that in a year or so of being dragged/pulled around a dump station developed small tears resulting in leakage.
Attached Thumbnails
slinky hose holder2.jpg   slinkyhose 1.JPG  

Old 10-20-2014, 11:29 AM   #35

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyWhiskey View Post
You can thank Donna D for the great idea! I can simple confirm that it does work well!!
Old 10-20-2014, 11:47 AM   #36

Coastal Carolinas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
As far as the Rhino hose being stiff goes I would suggest it bets the heck out of having one that tends to flex to much when you open up the valves resulting in it moving around and popping out of the dump hole creating a big mess!
Carol, I have actually thought about this!!! If the stiff Rhino hose prevents that, then I can certainly deal with it!

And Carol, just showed Hubby your fence post idea. We are loving it and have put it on the to-do list! Thanks for sharing that AMAZING idea!
Old 10-20-2014, 12:34 PM   #37

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonya L View Post
And Carol, just showed Hubby your fence post idea. We are loving it and have put it on the to-do list! Thanks for sharing that AMAZING idea!
Tonya I can't take credit for that idea either! As I said do a google of this site on the topic and you will find lots of great ways of using the PVC fence post for a slinky holder..... I kept it fairly simple and just used a few heavy duty zip ties to attach it under the trailer, no new holes in trailer. Been on for a few years over some pretty rough roads in the back woods and so far no sign of it moving or letting go.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:47 PM   #38

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Tonya, dumping the black tank first and then the grey is the preferred order as the grey water kind of washes the hose out.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:53 PM   #39

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Tonya
Since you have a gravity drain shower pan make sure you have a screw in plug for your shower strainer and make sure it is screwed in to seal the drain during travel because greywater can get into your shower pan while towing. The pump drain setup does not have that problem.
I suspect with the gravity grey water shower drain you have the smaller (white fiberglass) grey water tank. The newer Scamps have a black plastic 26 gal grey water tank. I'm not sure exactly but the white one only holds somewhere between 12-16 Gal.
You need to have your shower drain fixed if dry camping in the GW Nat. Forest in Va. They are writing tickets for dumping greywater in the forest even 20 miles from the nearest campsite.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:54 PM   #40

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Tonya
Since you have a gravity drain shower pan make sure you have a screw in plug for your shower strainer and make sure it is screwed in to seal the drain during travel because greywater can get into your shower pan while towing. The pump drain setup does not have that problem.
I suspect with the gravity grey water shower drain you have the smaller (white fiberglass) grey water tank. The newer Scamps have a black plastic 26 gal grey water tank. I'm not sure exactly but the white one only holds somewhere between 12-16 Gal.
Eddie, my 92 Scamp has the black 28 gal grey water tank - would be surprised if the Tonya's 1990 doesn't as well. Funny enough I have a pump on my shower pan and it will still allow the water from the grey tank to come up in the shower pan if the tank is full.

I do know that the pump set up on mine is a little different than the newer trailers i.e. 2000 and newer though, which I suspect are the ones that don't let the water back into the shower pan. But I have to ask if the water from the over full grey tank doesnt go into the shower pan where else would it go?

Tags
scamp