Replace or Remove the water tank? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2007, 06:26 PM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
On the 16' UHaul Vacationer we just bought, the PO installed a 20 gallon water tank to sit under the bed in the middle of the back floor. I guess he wanted a lot of water for his showers! I have removed the tank so that we can use the back area as a reading/lounging area when the bed is not made up.

Now, my question is: Since we have an outside hookup for using water from a faucet at a campsite, do I need to replace the tank with a smaller unit at all? We don't intend to boondock, but if we do, we carry a 5 gallon jug of water with a hand pump. I assume the water tank is for camping away from a water source. So, we could do without it? We would have a lot more storage space without a water tank.

Also, we have an electric water pump under the sink. Is this pump just for use with an onboard water tank? Is it needed if we just use water from a faucet at the campsite? If the pump isn't needed without a tank, I won't bother checking if it works.

Thanks!

Kevin
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 07:08 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Since we have an outside hookup for using water from a faucet at a campsite, do I need to replace the tank with a smaller unit at all? [b]We don't intend to boondock...

Also, we have an electric water pump under the sink. [b]Is this pump just for use with an onboard water tank? Is it needed if we just use water from a faucet at the campsite?
[b]If you realize that in a "boondock" situation, you will be without the onboard shower, as well as the kitchen sink; then I think you can safely remove the tank [b]If you plug the line where the tank is connected. Since you have a porta potty, and not a marine toilet, I say Go for it, at least as a temporary measure. If the Uhaul is similar to the Burro, then it's original fresh water tank was located below the floor, out of the way. You could then always restore the original design at a later date.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:40 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul
If the tank is under the dinette on your 16 footer, I would get rid of it. If you don't boondock, then you won't need the on board water anyway.

We are heavy boon dockers with our 16 foot U Haul, and installed a 20 gallon tank under the dinette seat, where the original 5 gallon tank was located. Moved the battery (a 12 Volt AGM) to the other side dinette seat. In fact, we never hook up to the city water.

It all depends on how you use your rig. The nice thing about these trailers is you can set them up the way you like with little trouble.

If you remove the pump, don't throw it away. You can sell or give it away to somebody on this forum who is trying to restore their rig to original condition.

Have Fun!

Mike
Mike U Haul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 04:52 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Sounds like you do the samd e type of camping we do and the tank in my 80 Boler was trash when we got it last spring and all last summer we did as you did just useing a large plastic jug for drinking water and this worked fine for a weekend but for week long camping trips or if we had 2 grand-kids with us it was alot of trips to the pump to fill the 7 gal. jug but this wasn't bad but try to get a glass of water for an 7 year old at 2 AM out of a jug that is outside on the pick-nick table and its raining out...urrrrg.
I plan not to replace the original water tank but to buy a portable one on wheels and hook up to new water lines to the new water pump so at 2 AM this will not be a problem any more.
Gerry the canoebuilder
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 06:34 PM   #5

Trailer: R-pod (by Forest River)
Quote:
On the 16' UHaul Vacationer we just bought, the PO installed a 20 gallon water tank to sit under the bed in the middle of the back floor. I guess he wanted a lot of water for his showers! I have removed the tank so that we can use the back area as a reading/lounging area when the bed is not made up.

Now, my question is: Since we have an outside hookup for using water from a faucet at a campsite, do I need to replace the tank with a smaller unit at all? We don't intend to boondock, but if we do, we carry a 5 gallon jug of water with a hand pump. I assume the water tank is for camping away from a water source. So, we could do without it? We would have a lot more storage space without a water tank.

Also, we have an electric water pump under the sink. Is this pump just for use with an onboard water tank? Is it needed if we just use water from a faucet at the campsite? If the pump isn't needed without a tank, I won't bother checking if it works.

Thanks!

Kevin
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 06:43 PM   #6

We also have a 16 Vt. Our tank is under the dinette seat I think it is a 10 gal. If I am understanding you someone put in a shower in your privacy room? Did they also install a water heater? Just curious because I am wondering how and where they put it. Ours has a potti and a small sink in the privacy room. No shower. You may want to reconsider removing the pump. We don't boondock much either but it is nice if you stop and fix lunch or just stop for the night to be able to brush your teeth in the morning and wash your face.. LOL We are keeping ours as original as possible. Would like to see pics as there aren't many of the Vt's around.. Maggie
Old 04-08-2007, 06:46 PM   #7

One more thing our pumps were froze up and we had to take them apart and clean them good and use a little WD40 for lubing the moving parts.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:19 PM   #8

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Quote:
One more thing our pumps were froze up and we had to take them apart and clean them good and use a little WD40 for lubing the moving parts.

Thanks for the suggestions. We will probably keep the pump in place and make sure it works just for those special emergencies. We may also put a smaller water tank under one of the back seats later, but not right now. Yes, the PO put a water heater (2.5 gallon) under the left rear seat next to the battery box. We haven't powered it up yet, but it is almost brand new. The hand shower is attached to the faucet assembly in the privacy room.

Kevin
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 08:38 PM   #9

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Here's some pix, including the bathroom, old water tank, and water heater. Kevin has removed this water tank.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
bathroom_sink.JPG   bed.JPG  

closet.JPG   dinette_and_closet.JPG  

dinette_bed.JPG   dinette.JPG  

side_without_the_door.JPG   water_heater.JPG  

Old 04-08-2007, 08:43 PM   #10

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
And a few more pix.

Kevin has torn up the carpet, removed the water tank, and removed the fridge to put in a larger one. We were given a Dometic fridge when we bought it, but we think it is too big, so I lose the one in my office that is the one our son used in college. The fridge that came with Howie, the 'Hauler is the smallest dorm fridge. Our son's was a bit larger.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
Uhaul_1.jpg   Uhaul_2.jpg  

Uhaul_3.jpg  
Old 04-08-2007, 09:07 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Here's my two cents -- Unless you need the space that the water tank is taking up, leave it there -- By removing the tank (and the plumbing and pump), you are subtracting from the utility of your rig, so unless not having the tank has greater utility to you, there's no reason to do it (and it will certainly help resale value when that day comes).

A note on WD-40 -- Internet sayings to the contrary, WD-40 is not a lube, it is a cleaner and preservative (I've heard that the WD stands for water displacement) -- Things may move better after being sprayed with WD-40, but that may only last for a while.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Here's some pix, including the bathroom, old water tank, and water heater. Kevin has removed this water tank.
CindyL

The tank under the seat looks like a hot water tank is it? In ours there is a regular holding tank (fresh water) where yours is. That looks more like a small water heater not a holding tank. But maybe not! Sometime its hard to tell what some do when remodeling LOL. Maggie
Old 04-10-2007, 02:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Here's my two cents -- Unless you need the space that the water tank is taking up, leave it there -- By removing the tank (and the plumbing and pump), you are subtracting from the utility of your rig, so unless not having the tank has greater utility to you, there's no reason to do it (and it will certainly help resale value when that day comes).

A note on WD-40 -- Internet sayings to the contrary, WD-40 is not a lube, it is a cleaner and preservative (I've heard that the WD stands for water displacement) -- Things may move better after being sprayed with WD-40, but that may only last for a while.

Only used the WD40 on the external moving parts, just to free them up. Maggie
Old 04-10-2007, 02:47 PM   #14

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
It looks like a tiny electric water heater.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote