Well, we initially had a 16' Scamp and then moved up to the Scamp Deluxe 5th wheel mostly for the queen bed separate from the living area. However, while we could both sort of fit in the sideways bed, it was always a struggle for my 6'2" husband. Plus there were a number of features that we coveted on the Escape:
1) fully enclosed fiberglass, rather than plywood base.
2) Front to back oriented queen bed with space on the sides.
4) standard fifth wheel hitch
5) mechanized front support legs
6) ability to get modifications made
7) the workmanship and materials seemed superior to Scamp.
We bought a used Escape which was a private sale but sold
through the factory. Since it was already at the factory (in Chilliwack BC) we were able to get a window added and solar
panels added at the factory.
So far, after 4 years, we have been pleased with our decision.
Yes, they no longer make the single axle
Escape 5.0....so we have a true 'classic' !