Replacing Hot Water Anode - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2021, 10:13 AM   #1

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Replacing Hot Water Anode

So far it is kicking my butt.

When you screw in the anode, should any threads still be visible? I have the anode tightened down and a little bit of thread is still visible.

I can't fill it with water right now because I am waiting on a shower faucet/diverter replacement and the old one is removed leaving the pipes open.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 10:17 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
As long as you cleaned the threads, applied joint tape or dope, and snugged it good into place, it will be fine.

It is very common with pipe thread joints to have some thread left showing. Almost a must as the joints are slightly tapered and seal as the tapers tighten. Also pretty much the only water or gas joint that uses tape or dope to seal.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 10:27 AM   #3

Virginia
Thank you.
Old 06-26-2021, 01:55 PM   #4

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
You should always have some threads showing on pipe threads. If you didn't it would mean that the threads were cut to deep and the joint would probably leak. It can be a little tricky getting the threads started and you should do that by hand or you risk cross threading the joint.
Old 06-26-2021, 02:07 PM   #5

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captleemo View Post
You should always have some threads showing on pipe threads. If you didn't it would mean that the threads were cut to deep and the joint would probably leak. It can be a little tricky getting the threads started and you should do that by hand or you risk cross threading the joint.
I had to use a tap to cleanup the threads and wanted to be sure I had done it properly.
Old 06-26-2021, 03:31 PM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Jim said it very well.

Pipe threads are tapered. With teflon tape on the threads, you don't have to tighten the plug very tight, and in fact, you should not. You don't want to crack the fitting. If you chase the threads with a tap, don't cut metal, just clean the threads. You never run a pipe tap all the way in, again, because it's a tapered thread that relies on interference to seal. About two to three wraps of the yellow style teflon, three wraps of the blue style, or about 6 wraps of the very thin Harbor Freight style tape is all you need. Keep a roll of the blue or yellow in your tool box to fix all kinds of things. It makes great O rings, a good anti seize, good gaskets for hose to barb fittings, reduces corrosion in dissimilar metals and can act as a thread locker, just to name a few.