Sanitizing fresh water tank - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2021, 09:49 PM   #1

Name: Della
Trailer: Trillium 1973
British Columbia
Sanitizing fresh water tank

We haven’t used our fresh water tank for years as we’ve always used a portable water container for drinking water but have decided to also sanitize and use the fresh water tank.It might only be for washing dishes but we want it properly disinfected.
I’m finding conflicting information about concentration of bleach 1/4 cup up to 3/4 cup or even 1cup vs size of tank (ours is 12gallons 1300 trillium )and how long it should be in tank and should you drive with half full tank or let a full tank sit overnight I’ve seen so many opinions
What makes sense so far is mixing bleach with 1gallon water first and adding to tank then putting in the rest of the water. Of course we want to do this tomorrow morning and I was all set to put 1cup water to 4 gallons bleach and drive around but I think this is for a much bigger tank
Help please!
Dellaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 10:27 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Go to a legitimate source, the Center for Disease Control:
https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/eme...er-supply.html
Old 06-18-2021, 11:27 PM   #3

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Go to a legitimate source, the Center for Disease Control:
https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/eme...er-supply.html

Thank you
Old 06-19-2021, 03:33 PM   #4

Name: Ron
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
I use the 1/4 cup bleach per gallon of water and let it sit overnight. Then flush the tank with the hose left in and running for about 8 to 10 minutes. Then fill tank with water, then drain again. Then flush again for 8 to 10 minutes. Then fill the tank and you’re good to go. I have a 16 gallon tank and this is what the Casita manual says to do. The exception being that I add the additional flush. I’ve done this for the past 10 years every spring.

Yours having set for a number of years, I would likely repeat the whole process.
Ron H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 04:07 PM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2018 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H. View Post
I use the 1/4 cup bleach per gallon of water and let it sit overnight. Then flush the tank with the hose left in and running for about 8 to 10 minutes. Then fill tank with water, then drain again. Then flush again for 8 to 10 minutes. Then fill the tank and you’re good to go. I have a 16 gallon tank and this is what the Casita manual says to do. The exception being that I add the additional flush. I’ve done this for the past 10 years every spring.

Yours having set for a number of years, I would likely repeat the whole process.
That means 1/4 cup of bleach in a gallon of water and then fill the 16 gallon tank with just fresh water not more solution. In the case of Casita they say 2 oz of bleach for the 16 gallon tank.
slonecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 05:30 PM   #6

Tennessee
1/4 cup is the very same measurement as 2 oz. It’s one in the same.
Old 06-19-2021, 06:26 PM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2018 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Oregon
Quote:
1/4 cup is the very same measurement as 2 oz. It’s one in the same.
Yes, I know but I thought your directions made it sound like you might be putting 1/4 cup per gallon of water for whatever the tank capacity was.
Just a misunderstanding I guess.
slonecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 10:05 PM   #8

Tennessee
I re-read my statement and yes, I can see how my input is confusing. I did mean to mix the 1/4 cup of bleach in a gallon of water and pour it into the water tank, then fill the tank with water. I was thinking of what I do, but I didn’t state it in this manner. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 06-19-2021, 11:30 PM   #9

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by slonecker View Post
That means 1/4 cup of bleach in a gallon of water and then fill the 16 gallon tank with just fresh water not more solution. In the case of Casita they say 2 oz of bleach for the 16 gallon tank.
thanks for all the help everyone!
Old 06-19-2021, 11:30 PM   #10

British Columbia
Quote:

Thanks for the info about the whole process!
Old 06-23-2021, 08:45 AM   #11

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
I just replaced the freshwater gravity inlet because it had gotten so moldy. When I removed it from the hoses, I noticed the hoses also had some mold inside near the inlet. I removed both hoses and soaked in some water with bleach for an hour or 2, scrubbed then as best I could, and they are clean again.

This might be worth doing yearly if you can easily remove the hoses. Cleaning out the system isn't necessarily going to clean the hoses.

Just a though, but it might be worth doing this to the city water inlet as well. I'm going to look at mine and see if there is a way to clean it.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:12 PM   #12

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
I just replaced the freshwater gravity inlet because it had gotten so moldy. When I removed it from the hoses, I noticed the hoses also had some mold inside near the inlet. I removed both hoses and soaked in some water with bleach for an hour or 2, scrubbed then as best I could, and they are clean again.

This might be worth doing yearly if you can easily remove the hoses. Cleaning out the system isn't necessarily going to clean the hoses.

Just a though, but it might be worth doing this to the city water inlet as well. I'm going to look at mine and see if there is a way to clean it.
Thanks I did t think about the hoses
Old 06-23-2021, 12:13 PM   #13

British Columbia
Thanks I didn’t think about hoses