Scamp GREY Tank - NOT 26 GAL! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2014, 04:56 PM   #21

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Hmmmnnnn. I added a second 12 gallon tank to my Scamp. I always wondered how I used so much water. It say's 12 gallon on Scamps parts store. INTERESTING!!!!
Old 10-28-2014, 05:48 PM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
The fresh water tank on our Casita is listed as 25 gallons but the tank will hold no more than 22 gallons . Maybe the tank was designed for metric water ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:27 PM   #23

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The fresh water tank on our Casita is listed as 25 gallons but the tank will hold no more than 22 gallons . Maybe the tank was designed for metric water ?
Thanks Steve, that explains it for me
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:39 PM   #24

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonM View Post
Thinking/dreaming out loud:

Hmmm.... a few years ago, when car manufacturers were caught "fibbing" on mpg on their so-called super fuel efficient cars, wasn't there a class action suit? Compared to other fb trailers, Scamps have quite small tanks (black, gray, and fresh). Let's hope Scamp has not deliberately "looked the other way" on their false web advertising - altho I strongly suspect they have done just that. Don't you suspect so, too? Let's call them on it, for their own good!

Sharon
frivolous lawsuits like that could hardly be call "Class Action" I don't suspect any such thing.
Actually if the Canadian company advertises 21 gallons some one could easily convert from imperial to US if they weren't careful ...Result= 26gal.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:53 PM   #25

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I think the specification is correct.

The icon direct web site lists the tank dimension as 19.25 by 45.5 by 8.5. Reducing this to 18 by 44 by 7.5 to accommodate the mounting flange and average out the taper to the tank, you end up with 5950 cubic inches, or 25 gallons and change.

If you are only getting 18 gallons into the tank, either you have a different tank, or your measuring bucket is mis-calibrated.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:57 PM   #26

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
Gee Floyd, your sense of humor could use a beer boost.

S.

ps Dan, I get about 21-22 gallons -- good enuff for me.
SharonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:06 PM   #27

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Just a possibility: if the water outlet on the tank is not at the very bottom of that tank, some water may remain. Perhaps when you started filling the gray water tank to measure it, some water was still in it from before?

I know the fresh tank on my previous stickie would still have a gallon or two in it when it stopped drawing into the pump. Kind of irritating that one must carry the extra weight around for no good reason. And my fresh tank was supposed to be a 10 gallon, so it probably was only able to deliver about 8 gallons... pretty skimpy.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:08 PM   #28

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
BTW we could save all the confusion over conversion of litres to imperial gallons to US Gallons and back again if the US would just join the rest of the world and go metric!
Go metric? Naw, let's not go there.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:56 PM   #29

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Meyer View Post
I think the specification is correct.

The icon direct web site lists the tank dimension as 19.25 by 45.5 by 8.5. Reducing this to 18 by 44 by 7.5 to accommodate the mounting flange and average out the taper to the tank, you end up with 5950 cubic inches, or 25 gallons and change.

If you are only getting 18 gallons into the tank, either you have a different tank, or your measuring bucket is mis-calibrated.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan I have an SD17, the outside hatch door opens to expose about 5" of the front of the 25 G water tank. It stops filling and runs out the overflow with about 2" of free space at the top. Even filling at a trickle. I've talked with other owners of SD's, same problem. I've always been able to fully fill any of the tanks I've had on other RV's so I can only chalk this up to how it's factory plumbed. Bummer cuz I would like the extra weight in back to take a bit more off the tongue.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:29 AM   #30

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I am not sure it is such a good idea to reduce the tongue weight by adding weight (in the back). I am not convinced that the attachment of the tank is made to hold 26 x 8 = 208 pounds while bouncing along. The steel straps, or the few screws holding them, do not inspire confidence.

And, speaking of metric - my favorite beer is now imported in metric bottles of 330ml volume, which is 11.2 ounces. It used to be 12 ounces, a nice round number which I liked much better. I feel gypped. Time to try something else.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:16 AM   #31

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
>snip<

I am not convinced that the attachment of the tank is made to hold 26 x 8 = 208 pounds while bouncing along. The steel straps, or the few screws holding them, do not inspire confidence.

>snip<
Warning: Serious topic creep ahead. 8-)

The steel straps under my gray water tank came off several years ago. Ever since, it's been held in place only by the three dozen (or so) screws Scamp installed thru the mounting flange.

At first, I told myself I would only travel with a nearly empty tank and would replace the strapping as soon as I could. One thing led to another, and I still don't have the straps replaced. I'm also pretty sure I've driven more than a few miles with at least 1/2 a tank of gray water. So far, the tank is still in place.

Your mileage may vary, etc, etc, etc.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:36 AM   #32

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
metric conundrum....

the US converting to metric would be a daunting task....as usual, ten times the trouble and cost that the Can. conversion was...that's a BIG number

Most Americans say: "Go metric? Naw, let's not go there. "

but the US is already half way there....

US money is metric and has been since day one !!!

Imperial vs US gallons is a strange one....way back when, having adopted the British weight and measure system one can only wonder how/when/why the US shrank the gallon by 20% (???).....must have been the very first instance of "marketing"
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:53 PM   #33

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
I was at the factory today and Kent is aware of the 26 vs 21 gallon grey water tank issue. Do I have a definitive answer - no, Do I care - not much. I ordered another Scamp 13 having just sold a 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe with the 25 oh wait really only 22 gallon fresh water tank that drips all day going down the road when you overfill it

Sent from my XT1028 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:00 PM   #34

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If the US goes to metric a gallon of gas will cost us more!

Okay, seriously. If the difference in metric vs "regular" gallons for any of your tanks is a huge problem... ya got a problem.

Or maybe... I'm the only one that has ever driven a car for months.. that didn't have a working fuel gauge.

It's called... remembering (or some fancy word). I know (approximately) how many miles I can drive, or hours, or days... the same for all the tanks in my trailer. How many showers, days, etc., etc., etc.

Not to slam anyone, truly. But I think we're expecting technology (monitors) or someone else's exact information to replace our common sense.... when it comes to tank capacity... use your ears! Nearly empty sounds like a soprano when the sink is draining. About half-way full.. a tenor. Full is a BASS.. or the water backs up in the sink or shower

Fresh water... how many pots of coffee can I make....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:11 PM   #35

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I posted this for those that do care and dont like being told one thing then receiving another. I spoke with ICON today and they simply said that Scamp's posting is wrong.

And as for wanting accurate advertisements and to get what you were told you would get and what you're paying for? To me that is common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briantb View Post
I was at the factory today and Kent is aware of the 26 vs 21 gallon grey water tank issue. Do I have a definitive answer - no, Do I care - not much. I ordered another Scamp 13 having just sold a 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe with the 25 oh wait really only 22 gallon fresh water tank that drips all day going down the road when you overfill it

Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:21 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
And as for wanting accurate advertisements and to get what you were told you would get and what you're paying for? To me that is common sense.
Or could be called "truth in advertising." But to turn into a pretzel (for me, in a trailer and we're talking tank capacity)... not so much. YMMV

Now, if I'm promised 9% on a CD.. and get 5%... watch my hair flame...
Old 10-30-2014, 05:27 PM   #37

Oklahoma
If I were a trailer mfr I would want my advertised numbers to be as accurate as possible. And if shown that they were incorrect, I'd feel badly and move to fix them as quickly as possible.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:10 PM   #38

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
If I were a trailer mfr I would want my advertised numbers to be as accurate as possible. And if shown that they were incorrect, I'd feel badly and move to fix them as quickly as possible. Not wink and let them go for years.

But maybe that's why I never have had the finances to do anything like that.
I think that is an unfair characterization of the situation.
When I first brought this up to Scamp a few months ago, the response was incredulity(not a wink).
It took some time for them to acknowledge the error which had gone undiscovered for some time. I can't say for sure but my guess is that they will make a correction on the gray tank spec with the next printing of the brochures.(which may be a while).
When I first discovered the discrepancy, I viewed it as a novelty and may even have welcomed the discovery knowing that a full graytank would present less of a burden. It did not change the fact that I have been satisfied with the useful capacity for 10 years and have not "to date" heard anyone else complain about it being inadequate.
Darral even seemed a bit skeptical when I brought it up in conversation, and apparently felt the need to verify my finding before reporting it here.

The fresh water is much closer to the manufacturer's claim of 12 gallons of actual capacity, as is the 9 gallon claim of the black water. But in practical application, I doubt that either quite reaches its number.
Now for the displacement of the refrigerator.... A exact calculation may mean that I will have to leave out that last stick of butter I had hoped to bring, but I won't let that ruin my trip or detract from my enjoyment of my Scamp.
Its really a good thing the these numbers are a little shy since my TV engine has only 2.260L displacement of the promised 2.3L!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:24 PM   #39

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
I agree with Floyd. There was no intent to deceive, just a long running mistake that will be corrected. I did mention to Kent while I was at the factory they should have more of a presence on these forums to help deal with these issues.

Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:50 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Here's the collapsible one that I have except I gave about $10 for it at a Coleman store. Takes VERY little room and is super light:
COLEMAN Collapsible Water Jug, 5 gal. - Non Insulated Water Jugs - 3UZK3|2000003456 - Grainger Industrial Supply
I had one very, very similar when I was a backpacker. Neato item!

Tags
scamp