Scamp GREY Tank - NOT 26 GAL! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2014, 12:32 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Scamp GREY Tank - NOT 26 GAL!

I'm just posting this as an FYI for current or future Scamp owners.

I was quizzed about this a week or so ago by a member of this group wondering if I'd ever measured the actual capacity of my stated "26 Gal" grey tank in my bought-new 2010 13' Std Scamp. While experimenting with tank monitoring, I measured it and it's only 18 gallons! The manual lists it as 26 and everywhere on their website. Even in their parts store it's listed it as 26 gallons. But the small inset photo ALSO shows the manufacturer and their part # on the tank. Below are the links to both.

It gets more weird. Icon's website (Mfr for their tanks) lists it as 21 gal! But I reiterate, I filled it up from a "dry" standpoint and while I was pouring in the last gallon (#18) it overflowed out the bottom of the Scamp. This means I ALSO had to fill the drain valve area along with the connecting elbow.

I spoke with Kent Eveland and he confirmed he'd never checked the capacity. I simply suggested that the website needs to be changed and an "errata" statement should be posted for all current owners. I've never had trouble filling the tank but for full-timers it could be an issue? Dunno. He said they would test it and change the site. A gallon or two you can understand. But 8 gal difference? He did mention that someone had spoke to him about it in the past but he let it go??? It shouldnt be let go because it's simply incorrect information. People (including myself) purchase the Scamp with the knowledge of getting a 26 gal grey tank and they are not.

He said he would go with the 21 gall stated on Icon's site. That's fine, but it's still incorrect. Also, I tested with my Scamp on jack stands and sitting level. So I would say my accuracy should be within 1 gal at the worst.

Here's the manufacturing website and actual tank and this number once again can be confirmed on Scamp's pic of the end of the tank on their website. (if you have any questions about your own, you can use Icon's dimensions and measure your tank):
Holding Tank Left End Drain HT710ED

Scamp's listing on their tank:
Plumbing : 26 Gallon Grey Water Tank
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:42 PM   #2

Name: vrm
Trailer: Trillium OutBack
Canada
Icon lists capacities in imperial gallons. 21 gal. translates to 26 gal. US.
bitsnbytes13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:46 PM   #3

Icon's website lists "US Gallons".

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsnbytes13 View Post
Icon lists capacities in imperial gallons. 21 gal. translates to 26 gal. US.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:00 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Icon's website lists "US Gallons".

Which I suspect as has been pointed is probable an error - seen many times of websites selling goods from a Canada company - Icon is in Manitoba.

Someone might want to point that little ops out to Icon!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:06 PM   #5

Registry
BTW we could save all the confusion over conversion of litres to imperial gallons to US Gallons and back again if the US would just join the rest of the world and go metric!
Old 10-28-2014, 01:13 PM   #6

Name: Mike & Helene
Trailer: Scamp 5er
Florida
Or... have the sest of the world go to US standards. Simple,, no fuss, ours is right and the rest are wrong
Old 10-28-2014, 01:19 PM   #7

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Scamp says the water tank is 12 gals in the 13 footer. I dumped a 5 gallon jug of water in an empty tank, and it looked to be about 60% full. No way would I get another 7 gals. in it.

Are Imperial gallons metric?

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:32 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sullivan View Post
Or... have the sest of the world go to US standards. Simple,, no fuss, ours is right and the rest are wrong
wish you luck with convincing all those counties in green who are using metric in their manufacturing plants to change over to the US standards
Attached Thumbnails
940px-Metric_system_adoption_map.svg.png  
Old 10-28-2014, 01:42 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post

Tom
Nope! Litres is

There are 4.54609 Litres in an Imperial Gallon.

0.832674 Imperial Gallons = 1 US Gallon.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:47 PM   #10

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Nope! Litres is

There are 4.54609 Litres in an Imperial Gallon.

0.832674 Imperial Gallons = 1 US Gallon.
I knew that Carol. I was just funning' with you. Pot calling the kettle black sort of thing.

Tom
Old 10-28-2014, 01:52 PM   #11

Tom,

Thanks for the input because Dave at Scamp mentioned to me today that someone told him the fresh water 12 Gal tank wont hold 12 gal either (and this is on the tank itself!). Of course he just laughed about it. I havent confirmed this and COULD have at Piney! But I did notice that I used the Coleman "foldable" 5 gal jug. I filled it and poured it in the tank. But it wouldnt hold the rest of the next one. Didnt occur to me until now, it's NOT a 12 gal tank either! I wish someone that's using theirs would confirm the exact capacity. I will look on my tank again and see if I can find out where IT is made.

That is a good idea about contacting ICON and questioning them on their "US Gallon" designation on their website.

Quote:
Scamp says the water tank is 12 gals in the 13 footer. I dumped a 5 gallon jug of water in an empty tank, and it looked to be about 60% full. No way would I get another 7 gals. in it.

Tom
Old 10-28-2014, 02:00 PM   #12

Michigan
This is my 5 Gal water carrier.

Amazon.com : Coleman Water Carrier (5-Gallon, Blue) : Water Cans : Sports & Outdoors

Tom
Old 10-28-2014, 02:07 PM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
BTW we could save all the confusion over conversion of litres to imperial gallons to US Gallons and back again if the US would just join the rest of the world and go metric!
Would we also have to learn how to spell Liters... UH... litres?
Do you people join the 1609.3m high club when you fly, or are those Imperial GALS. just too big to fit in that little room?
Did I just stick my 0.30480m in my mouth?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 02:09 PM   #14

Here's the collapsible one that I have except I gave about $10 for it at a Coleman store. Takes VERY little room and is super light:
COLEMAN Collapsible Water Jug, 5 gal. - Non Insulated Water Jugs - 3UZK3|2000003456 - Grainger Industrial Supply

Quote:
Old 10-28-2014, 02:17 PM   #15

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Converting to metric cost Canada a large fortune. Think about it, just about every highway sign, the re-education of the masses, even the milk crates had to change size.

I think the US watched the fall out from Canada's conversion and said, "I don't think so". Though it is interesting to note that several US industries use metric units.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 03:03 PM   #16

Michigan
I remember as a kid in high school in the mid '60's, we were warned that going metric was inevitable. It was just a matter of when. It never happened. Now we have autos and motor cycles with hardware that is a combination of both. The real winners were tool manufacturers like Snap-on. You really need both to work on anything. Anyone but Floyd remember Whitworth?

Tom
Old 10-28-2014, 04:12 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Would we also have to learn how to spell Liters... UH... litres?
Yes you would have indeed!

The "litre" is the International spelling as used by the International Bureau of Weights and Measures the "liter " is the American spelling.

TomK I actually figured you did indeed know that but it might surprise you as to how many folks visiting our fine country up here from the South don't!
Old 10-28-2014, 04:18 PM   #18

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Yes you would have indeed!

The "litre" is the International spelling as used by the International Bureau of Weights and Measures the "liter " is the American spelling.

What about the other questions?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:37 PM   #19

Registry
If you are using the Coleman jugs to determine what size the Scamp tanks actually are, you might want to keep in mind that Coleman is another fine Canadian Company. So it may be worth while to send them an email asking if the product discription is Imperial or US Gallons.

Even before we went metric Canada did not use the US Gallon measurement, we like the rest of the world used the Imperial Gallon which is about 20% more.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:52 PM   #20

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
Thinking/dreaming out loud:

Hmmm.... a few years ago, when car manufacturers were caught "fibbing" on mpg on their so-called super fuel efficient cars, wasn't there a class action suit? Compared to other fb trailers, Scamps have quite small tanks (black, gray, and fresh). Let's hope Scamp has not deliberately "looked the other way" on their false web advertising - altho I strongly suspect they have done just that. Don't you suspect so, too? Let's call them on it, for their own good!

Sharon
SharonM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp