Scamp Water Tank: 8 or 12 gallon? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2014, 07:41 AM   #1

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Scamp Water Tank: 8 or 12 gallon?

I thought our fresh water tanks were 12 gallon? I must be confused. Several times filling I only seem to get about 8. Am I crazy? On second thought don't answer that one,,,

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:06 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
The factory freshwater tank is rated at 12gal, it might be slightly different but close.
Consider 1 cubic foot equals 7.4 gallons and measure the tank.
Due to the location of inlet and outlet lines the tank may come a little short of full or a little short of empty.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:59 AM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We find filling the tank does not insure a full tank when you reach the campground, it seems to leak out. We keep it half full while traveling and fill it upon reaching our destination.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:03 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Many water holding tanks on RVs, in general, have the inlet part way up the side of the tank, if there is no vent in the top of the tank the trapped air prevents the tank from filling fully. Take a look, a vent with a hose that loops up above the tank will vent the trapped air and prevent water near the top from "sloshing" out while traveling.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:31 AM   #5

New York
Registry
I will measure that Floyd, thanks for the math! I guess after basically keeping track, gallon by gallon that I pour in there, when it's up to the top by the overflow valve, I've only dumped in around 8 gallons or do. It was empty thus morning so I dumped in exactly 5 gallons from my aquatainer and the tank is well over half full; I'd almost say 3/4!

So I will do the measuring thing I guess and figure this out, plus I'll check on the other suggestions friends made. Thanks!

Old 07-09-2014, 11:18 AM   #6

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
If U R going to be in a campground with hookups, you really don't need to fill your tank because it just adds additional weight to tow. We fill 2 milk jugs to flush the potty should we use it in route.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:26 AM   #7

New York
Registry
My site does not have water. Some do here. I did not travel with water in tank. Filled up water tank and 5 gallon jug when I got here as I knew I'd run out.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:43 AM   #8

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
Many water holding tanks on RVs, in general, have the inlet part way up the side of the tank, if there is no vent in the top of the tank the trapped air prevents the tank from filling fully. Take a look, a vent with a hose that loops up above the tank will vent the trapped air and prevent water near the top from "sloshing" out while traveling.
I had a similar problem and posted about it in another thread: the vent tube described above was pinched and vented slowly, so pouring the water in fast, it appeared to be full, but it was not. Slowing down allowed me to fill it completely. It bugged the heck out of me and eventually I discovered the problem. It fills fast with no problem now. Check the vent tube under the bench to see if it is pinched or kinked. I simply unhooked it from the clamp. It stays looped up without it.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:59 AM   #9

New York
Registry
I've been noodling for a while now in your post Paul and have gone I. To look several times for a vent tube. All I see is that ridged hose that leads to the wAter fill reservoir. I see a clear as tic hose near the bottom of the tank which I assume is where the water is drawn out if the tank from when pump is actuated.

I see the overflow tube. I must be missing something or perhaps calling something that which it is not!

Old 07-17-2014, 06:03 AM   #10

New York
Registry
Sorry! Clear plastic.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:54 AM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
My Scamp water tank was slow to fill The vent /overflow tube was plugged .The tube goes from the top of the tank through the floor .Cleaned the tube with a coat hanger (Clear plastic tubing) (See Paul O' s post)
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:13 AM   #12

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I might be guilty of inconsistency in using the term - vent tube or overflow, it is the same thing, it is opposite the filling tube. It lets the air out when filling and when forcing extra water in, say from a garden hose, it lets it out. They loop it up to avoid spilling water when traveling is my guess.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:22 AM   #13

New York
Registry
Oh ok. Now I understand. I should have connected in my brain that an overflow is also a vent. Thank you so much and I'm new so everything is new. Does not appear to be kinked though and I have observed water to come out of it during a little overfilling I did awhile back. But now that I know, I shall inspect it more closely this time.

Tags
scamp