Separate Shower? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2019, 10:38 AM   #1

Name: Frank
Trailer: none
Georgia
Separate Shower?

I've been reading this magnificent forum for a couple of years now, looking forward to purchasing a camper in the near future.

My question to the forum is: Does anyone manufacture an egg with a separate shower? I just hate the thought of having to clean up the toilet and sink after every shower. I'd purchase a 17' Casita today if there was such an option.

Thank you all, Frank
Famous Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:01 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
What you’re referring to is called a dry bath, and for the most part the answer is no. The only molded trailers with dry baths are 21’ and larger Bigfoot trailers.

Most people find a wet bath is not as much of a hassle as they thought, and in a smaller trailer they’d rather have the extra space for other features.

Speaking of size, when you’re comparing molded trailers to conventional trailers, realize that molded fiberglass manufacturers designate models by total length including the tongue (an older convention also still used by Airstream). Most conventional manufacturers designate their models by cabin length. I mention it because sometimes people compare layouts online, not realizing that 17’ Jayco with a dry bath is actually a much larger trailer than a 17’ Casita. The Casita has a 14' cabin, and it's narrower as well.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:05 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Just buy a squeegee for the walls and cover the toilet with an extra-large garbage bag before showering.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:29 PM   #4

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
We have found our toilet ( The outside) stays cleaner when we use the shower. After using the shower we just towel everything down. It only takes a couple of minutes.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:26 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We use the campground’s shower so are bathroom stays dry .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 06:04 PM   #6

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
We have spent well over 6 months with our Scamp and wet bath and it is not a problem at all.
I think you are overthinking it.
Not as much water is sprayed around as you think.
Of course we usually take "navy" showers where we wet down, soap up, rinse.
Don't think of it as combined shower and toilet as much as having all that space that the shower would have taken for other use.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:50 PM   #7

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
I just moved “up” from a Bigfoot 19, with a very comfortable marine bath to a Bigfoot 21 with a separate shower stall.

I have to say that I truly loved the Bigfoot 19’s marine bath. That’s mainly because it was so large. Also, the shower head was adjacent to the toilet, so the toilet remained dry. The separate stall is something that my husband prefers. One of the reason I did prefer the Bigfoot 21 over an escape was I did not like the size of their marine bath. But again, I did not actually try one out.

Now, when I was originally looking for a trailer, the idea of a marine bath was a big turnoff. It just seemed stupid to have to dry the toilet off. But that really wasn’t a problem for me. I also want to say that I really appreciate having a inside shower - marine or stall. I don’t like using the public showers in RV Parks. It’s so much easier having your own shower.

So, do not allow a marine shower prevent you from getting a Casita - if you think that’s the best trailer for you.

Finally, I highly recommend that you purchase a scraper for your shower walls & spend a couple of minutes to wipe down the walls after each shower. It will help keep things clean & quickly dry up the area.

Best of luck with your search.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:56 PM   #8

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I have found that the shower does not get the toilet seat wet with the lid down.
I have a marine cross hatched rubber floor like this:

This an a quick swipe to the drain with a scraper and it's good to go
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:34 AM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
My first RV was a new, 2010, 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe Travel Trailer (I'm currently in my second rig; a 2014 Dynamax DX3-37RB that DOES have a separate shower). I had NO trouble using the Casita's "wet bath". As stated, with the toilet seat down, there's really no problem in keeping the toilet clean & dry. The Casita was a GREAT way to get started in RVing. Changing bed linens & making the bed are FAR more of a chore with ANY RV bed that's positioned against a wall. Until you're ACTUALLY using an RV, you really can't be sure of what you'll love or hate. That's why so many Rvers go through multiple RVs; they're looking to get features they might not have initially known they'd want or need or, lose "features" that just don't work for them. I searched for FOUR+ YEARS before I "graduated" to my current Super-C (and, have owned it now for 5.5 years; it has a GREAT floor plan). If the vehicle you now own has a tow rating of at least 3500#, a Casita could get you RVing for a very reasonable price. In a year or three, you'll know MUCH better just what does and does not work for you. Fiberglass egg trailers hold their value MUCH better that "standard" RVs so, if / when you decide to "graduate", your "egg" will be easier to sell and put more money in your pocket.
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:46 AM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Famous Frank View Post
I've been reading this magnificent forum for a couple of years now, looking forward to purchasing a camper in the near future.

My question to the forum is: Does anyone manufacture an egg with a separate shower? I just hate the thought of having to clean up the toilet and sink after every shower. I'd purchase a 17' Casita today if there was such an option.

Thank you all, Frank
What you are so concerned about is a few seconds of work with wash cloth.
Our wet bath is clean and dry within a few minutes of use.
I think you would be amazed at how easy it is to maintain a wet bath.
In fact, it may well be easier than a dry bath if your goal is to keep it clean.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:07 AM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
For every inch put into the dry bath, it has to come from some other place. I'd rather have more storage than a space dedicated to minimal use. A wet bath functions exactly as it's designed.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:24 PM   #12

Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
I never saw getting everything wet, in a wet bath, as a problem. In fact I always sprayed the toilet down as part of a shower. And in a dry bath, it's important to not get much water on the floor outside the shower stall to prevent damage to the floor. But the problems with the wet bath in the Oliver was that the headroom was far less that in the main cabin and I could not stand up straight, there was no counter space at all, and only a small sink. So there was no place to set things. Everything functioned well, but it was just cramped and inconvenient.

It seems they should have put the bath in the rear of the trailer where the body is more square and easier to get some headroom.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:11 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
I use a 10" Window squeegee and a Chamois for a quick clean up after a shower. While a dry bath would save a bit of time, it only takes a couple of minutes, and as others have mentioned, it ends up cleaning the bathroom.

By the way, the early specifications for Escape's proposed 23' trailer call for a midships dry bath (and walk around queen bed). For those that insist on a dry bath, another option in the fiberglass family.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:50 PM   #14

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
I never saw getting everything wet, in a wet bath, as a problem.
I AGREE

Quote:
And in a dry bath, it's important to not get much water on the floor outside the shower stall to prevent damage to the floor.
That is my experience in our BF 21. It was much less worry for me taking a shower in my BF 19's marine bath.

Quote:
But the problems with the wet bath in the Oliver was that the headroom was far less that in the main cabin and I could not stand up straight, there was no counter space at all, and only a small sink. So there was no place to set things.
I think that is something you have to consider with your potential Casita or any other trailer. This area will be more cramped than your bathroom at home:
  • Do you have enough head room?
  • Can you move around (reasonably) comfortably in the marine bath or stall area
  • Is there room to set your toiletry items (toothbrush, makeup, etc)

Once again, its not the marine bath vs the stall - its how well (efficiently, comfortably) can you function in that area.

Also what's the cabin entrance into the bath area like? Is it a big squeeze? Or can you enter rather comfortably. Not unimportant as you will be going in and out as you get ready for your day ... use the facility in the middle of the night.

Quote:
It seems they should have put the bath in the rear of the trailer where the body is more square and easier to get some headroom.
I think that you'll get a larger bath when located in the rear of the trailer.

There are some great comments on this thread. Hope this all helps.

Once again, good luck with your decision.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:14 PM   #15

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Separate Shower?

Rear baths do tend to be roomy, but you give up what is often the best living space in terms of views and privacy. I really liked the side dry bath in a 1968 24’ Holiday Rambler TT I lived in for several years back in the 80’s. Small but functional. A tight-fitting plastic accordion door kept water in the shower stall. The center location made it warmer in the cold months.

No perfect trailer, just various compromises that come closer for different people. In a small molded trailer, a wet bath is a compromise most are willing to accept.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:20 PM   #16

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Hawaii
Separate Shower

Our Oliver has a wonderful separate shower. It always keeps the toilet and sink dry. However it is located outside on the street side. Works great when boondocking, less private though when we are street parking at the Kiddo's house in Dallas!
Geronimo John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:41 PM   #17

Name: Linda & Larry
Trailer: Casita
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Famous Frank View Post

Thank you all, Frank
I bought a regular shower curtain and draped it in front of toilet and across the doorway. I put small command hooks along the top of shower. The curtain ring holes hook over the command hooks to keep most of the stall dry. Works great!
Lindatroxell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:48 PM   #18

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindatroxell View Post
I bought a regular shower curtain and draped it in front of toilet and across the doorway. I put small command hooks along the top of shower. The curtain ring holes hook over the command hooks to keep most of the stall dry. Works great!

All true, if you don't mind wrestling with a large, wet, cold, clinging sheet of plastic during and after a shower. I just don't understand what the big deal about a wet bath is. Our toilet seat barely gets wet during a shower. Then again, I also don't understand the folks that buy these trailers with bathrooms in them and then use the public facilities in parks and service stations.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:58 PM   #19

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
All true, if you don't mind wrestling with a large, wet, cold, clinging sheet of plastic during and after a shower. I just don't understand what the big deal about a wet bath is. Our toilet seat barely gets wet during a shower. Then again, I also don't understand the folks that buy these trailers with bathrooms in them and then use the public facilities in parks and service stations.
I really just use the toilet. Using the shower in the Casita 17 I used to have or my Escape 19 I now have is like showering in a very small phone booth. No thanks. I'd rather just shower in campground facilities or a truckstop. To each their own!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:01 AM   #20

Name: Jim
Trailer: Casita 17 SD - sold - Lance 1475
Tennessee
We drape a cheap plastic table cloth cover over the toilet when we shower. It is large enough to cover most of the stall and is easily dried by hanging outside.
jimiller5 is offline   Reply With Quote