Shut off valve no shut off!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2012, 01:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
Shut off valve no shut off!!

I have a black water shut off valve that leaks. Every time I remove the outer sewer cap I get a palefull on my lap if I'm not careful. The main sewer line tee's off to the grey and the black water so the valve is quite deep inside the pipe with a 90 degree bend. Trying to get at it and pick anything out that may be stuck in the valve would be a timely, frustrating affair. (the trailer is quite new and I do remember a time it seemed something was stuck in the valve and now opening and closing it takes effort). Cutting the pipe and replacing, although an option would necessitate removing and replacing more pipe than I really would like to tackle.

And aside from filing the tank with water a few time and draining it along with chemical to break anything down (tried that) what options do I have?
Tamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #2

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
try spraying a garden hose up there to flush it out?
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
install a black tank sprayer and a clear plastic sewer pipe end, you can then see if there is any liquid build up.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I had the same problem with mine once in awhile and every few years it becomes stiff to close. The only answer is to take it apart (unscrew it) and scrub clean the valve part that slides across and the recessed areas that it is suppose to slide into. I actually ended up replacing just the valve part on one occasion and its been good since.

Can you not just unscrew the valve without cutting the pipes?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Carol, you can work on my camper anytime.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THETFORD-VAL...r#ht_500wt_922

This is what the valve bodies looks like, you have a 1-1/2" and a 3" one.
As carol said unscrew them, remove and clean. If damaged you can replace them the same way.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:40 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mszabo View Post
Carol, you can work on my camper anytime.
LOL trust me crawling under it and dealing with that sort of stuff is not my Fav thing to do!
Old 06-05-2012, 09:26 PM   #7

Perhaps some clarification is in order. The valve is the release valve on the outside of the trailer to dump the backwater tank.

Carol: I am not sure if this unscrews. I will check it out tomorrow when Ii get home.

Mszabo: I am not sure what valve you are showing me on ebay but I certainly do not recall seeing anything like that.

Cheers,
David
Old 06-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #8

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Is yours black? Most are. When you pull on the handle this is the valve you are opening.
It is held in place by four screws.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:43 PM   #9

mszabo

Thanks for the reply. Yes mine is black. I will check it tomorrow night to see if I can unscrew it.

Cheers,
David
Old 06-05-2012, 10:19 PM   #10

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamid View Post
I do remember a time it seemed something was stuck in the valve and now opening and closing it takes effort). Cutting the pipe and replacing, although an option would necessitate removing and replacing more pipe than I really would like to tackle.

... what options do I have?
The valves are serviceable or replaceable without cutting, as Mike/Sara said, by undoing the 4 screws perpendicular to the pull handle and parallel to the waste pipe. They have rubber O-rings on each side of the gate that may be deteriorated. I changed just my O-rings when I had the same problem and that fixed it.

RV Plumbing - Valterra Valve Body
Attached Thumbnails
000_0276.jpg  
Old 06-05-2012, 11:49 PM   #11

Registry
Here is something that might help you. As Frederick indicated the part that has the handle you pull should have 4 screws on it that allow you to take it apart.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:55 AM   #12

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
There are four bolts it takes about 20 minutes to change, I just did mine in April for 20.00 dollars why play with it.
You want the 3" .

Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote