Originally Posted by Roger C H
I would not use the RV water tank for drinking water.
We have a water container/dispenser in our refrigerator
at home. It has a Brita filter but even so we have to keep an eye on it because occasionally little green, feathery things will grow in it.
This is in a refrigerator
, and from our public water supply. I can imagine what can grow in a tank at ambient temperature that can't be monitored.
Different water supplies could contain different flora/fauna.
I don't know where you are getting your water but we have been drinking out of all our RV tanks which total about 15 RV's over the last 38 years and never have a problem. We always taste the water from the spigot to make sure it tastes OK since some places use to much chlorine. Then we filter and fill the tank if it tastes OK. I think the Brita filters are subject to mold since the light
gets to them. You have to wash your Brita pot after a couple of filterings to prevent the mold. Every spring we cleanse our tanks with chlorine then rinse well. If there's a bleach taste at all we just drink from the ice water jug until we need to refill again. That usually takes 3-4 days. Then we are good to go for the year. The reason there are water tanks in an RV is so you can drink from the faucet just like at home. Many RV's have built in filters to help with taste also.