Small Grey Water Receptacle - Ideas? - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2021, 11:59 AM   #1

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Small Grey Water Receptacle - Ideas?

Our little Campster does not have a grey water tank. It has the standard outside drain with a hose connection. I'm looking for ideas for a small, 2 gallons or less, wastewater tank that would be portable. I think that most campgrounds prefer/require that it be sealed as opposed to something like a bucket.

I have done the searches but have not found a suitable solution. I had a 5 gallon blue tank that was too big. We lost that on our last trip. Most of those are way too big for our needs.

So, I'm thinking of a small container with a hose type connection. I donít need the type with the 4" opening. A collapsing one would be a great option.

Any ideas on solutions or search criteria is welcomed.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 12:55 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
How about a couple plastic gallon jugs, like RV antifreeze, windshield washer fluid, and so many other things come in. Screw on cap and a handle to carry it, and you can see how much is in it.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 05:42 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Two options:

- drill a hole in the cap of the jug large enough to accommodate the hose connected to the grey water drain (We actually added a Y hose threaded connector at the grey water drain to eliminate back pressure in the hose.)

- bypass the exterior grey water drain and just re-direct the sink drain into a jug under the sink
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 08:38 PM   #4

Name: Rusty
Trailer: 84 Burro 13 ft
Washington
Recycle a liquid laundry detergent container. They come in one gallon and larger sizes. Redrill the cap as described above to fit the hose.
Rusty01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 06:00 AM   #5

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler 1700
Michigan
Will the grey water container be inside the camper or outside when you are using the container?

When we had the trillium the grey water hose was outside the camper and we used a translucent 5 gallon retangular container where the cap had a female threaded hole. We screwed the other end of the grey water hose end into that hole. We used the compartment for the fresh water tank for storage and had 2 1gallon container fresh water containers under the sink.

In the boler 17 the water system is a work in progress, so I am using a 2.5 gallon rectangular blue Hudson Exchange container for fresh water under the sink, and a 2.5 gallon F style translucent plastic jug in the kitchen cabinet for the grey water. I wanted the sizes for fresh and grey water matched because I didn't want to overflow the gray water inside the camper. Also wanted the different colors so that I wouldn't mix up the containers.

We sometimes bring the grey water from the end of the trip home with us, so I wanted a container that I felt was sturdy since it is in the car with us.

All water containers were purchased on amazon.
Lisa in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 06:03 AM   #6

Trailer: 17' Casita
I use a waste oil container which I purchased at autozone or one such place. Holds 2 1/2 gallons with a leak proof cap and handy handle.
Jimmy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 09:02 AM   #7

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, Lil Joe
Florida
I used a used (DEF) Diesel Emissions Fluid container. About 2 Gal., Blue DEF comes in a semi clear container, Walmart DEF comes in a blue container. The containers have an adaptable hose connection. Just find someone with a late model diesel or check out trash cans at service stations that sell diesel fuel.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 09:25 AM   #8

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
FWIW, you can get a screw top lid to convert to a 3 or 5 gallon bucket. See Amazon for choice. Modify for direct hose connection.

I prefer a bucket over various collapsable products due to ease of cleaning. A smaller container means you have to empty it a lot sooner.

If cleaning is not an issue, then one of these would work:

https://www.amazon.com/WaterStorageC...3&sr=8-29&th=1
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 11:51 AM   #9

Thanks all for your ideas. I will leave the wastewater receptacle outside since storage under the sink is precious and I don't want to redo that plumbing. Based on your suggestions and a couple if DIY videos I found, I ordered the following hose adapter on Amazon that I will install in the lid of a wide mouth jar. My wife suggested an empty Costco mayonnaise jar to start, but may look for something closer to a gallon later. We really don't put much water down the drain.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll post pictures of the completed project.
Old 07-20-2021, 07:19 AM   #10

Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....AC_SL1000_.jpg

google 5l collapsible water jug, something like this might work
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 11:20 AM   #11

Trailer: casually shopping
Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to Steven Tonnesen
2-1/2 gallon collapsible water jug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fish View Post
Our little Campster does not have a grey water tank. It has the standard outside drain with a hose connection. I'm looking for ideas for a small, 2 gallons or less, wastewater tank that would be portable. I think that most campgrounds prefer/require that it be sealed as opposed to something like a bucket.

I have done the searches but have not found a suitable solution. I had a 5 gallon blue tank that was too big. We lost that on our last trip. Most of those are way too big for our needs.

So, I'm thinking of a small container with a hose type connection. I donít need the type with the 4" opening. A collapsing one would be a great option.

This seems to be perfect: https://www.forestry-suppliers.com/p...s.php?mi=60451
Steven Tonnesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 11:22 AM   #12

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1970 Eriba Puck
California
We've used a collapsible/foldable water carrier with a water filler spout on grey water catchment set-up for our `88 Westfalia's sink drain for 33+ years, & for our 1970 Eriba Puck since we got it in 2018 (with drain size angle adapter), and the same would work for your Casita.

While GoWesty doesn't list the collapsible containers right now, they're readily available at all camping outlets, online (Amazon as noted above), Walmart, etc.

Water Filler Spout for insertion into the container - clearly mark as "Grey Water" if you use them to also fill your fresh water tank:

https://www.gowesty.com/product/fauc...ler-nozzle-?v=

90 degree Drain Adapter if needed for your set-up:

https://www.gowesty.com/product/fauc...ipe-adapter?v=

Another example of a collapsible container:

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/fold...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

The above adapters & fillers are probably also available elsewhere wherever camper & camping supplies are sold.

We've recently upgraded our `88 Westy with the Euro supplied Grey water holding tank, but we'll still carry the collapsible container etc. for easier draining of that tank if needed where a drain/RV Dump isn't available. The Euro Westfalia/"Joker" Camper tanks hold about 10 gals - as do the built-in Fresh Water Tanks on all Westfalia Campers of that 1980-92 Vanagon era (see attached pics below).

Unfortunately, there isn't a built-in grey tank made for our 1970 Puck due to it's mission to stay light for car towing at only 660 lbs empty/dry & max. 1000 lbs GTWR - so we'll continue to use a drain hose &/or collapsible container set-up with it.

Casita may have an aftermarket or factory optional grey water tank that you could add under or in yours, as another option - similar to the one on our Westy.

The above collapsible set-up should work fine for you - plus many campgrounds are getting smart again about using reclaimed/grey water for irrigation again in many places due to expanding droughts (it used to be widely allowed, until folks let the food crud run out too).

So you may find many will let you run your garden hose type drain hose into a planter to help water their plants - but make sure to use an in-sink drain strainer to keep the crud out of the discharge.

Happy Camping!

Tom
///////
Attached Thumbnails
t3w070814c.jpg   Westy grey water tank installed with 2 inch drain - 20210404_125345.jpg  

Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 11:24 AM   #13

Name: Peter
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Don't forget to vent

Well Dave your low use of water is exemplary and it looks like you have a nice fitting lined-up for the connection.
Don't forget to install a vent in the 'tanks' lid as the air in the tank takes up space. The least expensive option is to bore a small hole in the lid and put in a male-threaded hose barb. Fix it to the lid with a washer and nut and put a six-inch length of clear tubing sticking straight up from the hose barb. This will give you all the venting you need for less than $2.
Here is a container-tank you might enjoy. I like that the container is not clear because who wants to really look at the contents?

https://www.containerandpackaging.co...hoCHIoQAvD_BwE
Cottonwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 12:02 PM   #14

Name: Terry
Trailer: Gulfstream
Memphis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fish View Post

5-gallon buckets ($2-$3/ea) w/ lids make great multi-purpose; can even drill and attach plumbing if needed?
THene1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 01:27 PM   #15

Name: Andy
Trailer: Scamp 16'
North Carolina
Wallyworld has 5-8 gallon containers cheap. I use one for potable water for my Scamp when on the road. Cheap and with a pour type nozzle which will accomodate a drain line into it from the camper Make sure to properly mark it as "not potable water".

Derswede
Derswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 08:38 PM   #16

Based on your comments, here is my almost final solution. We'll try it out this weekend. It consists of the hose adapter I posted above plus the short piece of hose I had for the container I lost. I will add a Y to the top for air release and to improve the angle into the jar. I'm sure I have a Y here someplace, but my wife seems to be using all of them right now. If I can find a little bigger container, I'll switch that out, but for now this should work.Click image for larger version

Name:	20210719_145005.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	142275Click image for larger version

Name:	20210719_145018.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	142276
Old 07-22-2021, 01:55 AM   #17

Name: Carl
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
My gray water is mostly water, which I just let it drain onto the ground. Use very little soap and not much water as dry clean mostly.

I use this

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/c...-0401900p.html
Yellow Boler is offline   Reply With Quote