Snake bit??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2017, 10:51 AM   #1

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Snake bit???

Thought I was snake bit yesterday …

well not exactly since living in tropical jungles for 25 years we know from serious snakes. Generally, we would educate folks visiting our tropical forest jungle field sites propper protocol that if they did get bitten they were to quietly crawl to the side of the trail and cover themselves with leaves. This was the only considerate way to save their friends from the effort of carrying the dead weight miles out of the bush.

Apparently, for the first time, my winterizing in Michigan before the first hard freeze was less than a stellar effort.

While all drains had RV antifreeze and ALL water lines were drained, including the hot water tank, a small amount of water remained in the 90 degree fitting of the hot water line in the bathroom. So physics being physics it did what was expected on freezing and expand creating a hair-line crack.

Our first two hookups did not suggest any major problem, likely due to low water pressure. The small amount of water was initially mistaken for a bit of condensation as there was only a light “misting” on the wall under the sink.

Here at Jekyll Island with considerably higher water pressure it became not only noticeable but was filling the shower base with a few inches of water.
So I disconnected the water supply and added water to our freshwater tank and we have been using the demand 12-volt pump for limited water use. Easy to turn off and bleed off pressure so the water ceased to spray from the offending plumbing. It was not clear if the crack and/or cracks were only in the 90s or also internal in the faucet set likely deep internally in the shower valve section. A quick call to Scamp and a replacement faucet and 2 90s is on the way.

In the meantime, I called Barry Strickland (@07:12) the local on-site RV repair/service fellow. No answer but I left a voice mail. He showed up 9 minutes later!!! He looked at the situation and was to return later in the day to cap the pipes until the replacement parts arrived so we can again reconnect to city water. Unfortunately, his grandson who is his new service assistant, stepped off the tail gate of his truck yesterday afternoon and dislocated his knee. So Barry could not return to cap the lines yesterday and spent time at the hospital tending to his grandson.

He did stop by early this AM. However, one of the caps he had was lost out of the plumbing box when his grandson fell. So he has driven off to find the second one. At the moment we are in a holding pattern w/o any water… well, we do have a few gallon jugs so we are OK for the short term. As promised Barry returned a few hours later with two PEX tubing plugs and completed the job. We are fully functional again.

Oh, I did mention snake bit…
seems someone at Scamp created a very sharp knife blade out of a standard hose clamp under the bathroom sink. See below.

As I was reaching under the sink to make sure the PEX tubing fittings were tight I was “bitten” by the @#~$^*%^ modified clamp.

All in all, we are happy to be here. We did find Dorothy and Hal and their 19’ 5th wheel Scamp and stopped to say hi on our arrival. No other FG rigs seen.

I was able to drop off 4 plein air oil paintings yesterday at the Jekyll Art Association gift shop for the Merry Artist’s Xmas sale. I completed these last winter here. We both logged >19K Fitbit steps yesterday and looking forward to more walks later today now that our plumbing issue has been solved.

Since we had to wait for Barry to return it was a great opportunity to do laundry after a week or so of travel.

Bummer we are going to miss Bob & Mary by a day this year. Many opportunities still to make new aquaintances.

Cheers all,
Bat Dude
Old 12-01-2017, 11:24 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
One Minnesota winter I decided to save some time and money so I blew out my trailer's water lines with compressed air and called it good
Next Spring I discovered that all was not good and I found as you did that water froze in the low spots and cracked the fittings.
I now drain the tanks , blow the lines and then pump -75 deg RV antifreeze through the system
There is a huge difference between winter in the upper Midwest and winter in the citrus belt , unfortunately we had to learn the hard way. I get a chuckle when someone describes winterizing their trailer as applying a coat of wax , emptying the refrigerator and parking their trailer in an open carport !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:58 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I get a chuckle when someone describes winterizing their trailer as applying a coat of wax , emptying the refrigerator and parking their trailer in an open carport !!

Yup, that's how it's done in the SW....gives us more time to watch folks shovel snow on the TV news .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 02:33 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 03:09 PM   #5

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Yup, that's how it's done in the SW....gives us more time to watch folks shovel snow on the TV news .
It is indeed sad and unfortunate that some of us are blessed and get to experience life to the fullest while others get to watch life on TV , and only dream and pretend.

Shoveling snow is one of life's little pleasures and ponder that
Bing Crosby never crooned that he was dreaming of a BROWN Christmas.
While my wife and I are warming ourselves in front of the fireplace on Christmas Eve and thanking God for our blessings , we will include a prayer for the less fortunate who are trapped in anyplace
SOUTH or HOT !

Merry Christmas
Steve & Linda D
Old 12-01-2017, 05:12 PM   #6

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Steve I agree, been down to California for Christmas as few times now and its just weird without the white stuff. We will be down to Santa Cruz area for Christmas this year. Yes the temperature is nice but... its just not the same. Anyway its winter so its RC plane building season BTW its been above freezing for the week or so, up here in Edmonton and we only have 6" of snow on the ground.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:25 PM   #7

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
It is indeed sad and unfortunate that some of us are blessed and get to experience life to the fullest while others get to watch life on TV , and only dream and pretend.

Shoveling snow is one of life's little pleasures and ponder that
Bing Crosby never crooned that he was dreaming of a BROWN Christmas.
While my wife and I are warming ourselves in front of the fireplace on Christmas Eve and thanking God for our blessings , we will include a prayer for the less fortunate who are trapped in anyplace
SOUTH or HOT !

Merry Christmas
Steve & Linda D
We're not dreaming or pretending. We aren't trapped either. We live in the South on purpose. I grew up in the Rockies. I shoveled show till I thought my arms would literally fall off. If I want a White Christmas, I've but to use some points and get an airline ticket and find myself in Veil, Aspen, Snowbird, Alta, Powder Mountain, or any one of a number of places we've spent Christmas skiing.

I like snow, but I don't miss shoveling it or driving in it one tiny bit.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:35 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
My favourite poem.
Warms my heart

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poe...n-of-sam-mcgee

Read it yourself or listen to Johnny Cash recite:

Old 12-01-2017, 10:01 PM   #9

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
We're not dreaming or pretending. We aren't trapped either. We live in the South on purpose. I grew up in the Rockies. I shoveled show till I thought my arms would literally fall off. If I want a White Christmas, I've but to use some points and get an airline ticket and find myself in Veil, Aspen, Snowbird, Alta, Powder Mountain, or any one of a number of places we've spent Christmas skiing.

I like snow, but I don't miss shoveling it or driving in it one tiny bit.
One of my favorite Christmas presents I ever received when I was a child was a beautiful snow shovel with my name emblazoned on the handle. My dad and I spent many hours outdoors shoveling snow together and then when we finished , enjoying a cup of hot cocoa .

Merry Christmas !!

I still enjoy shoveling snow on a beautiful and calm winter's eve
, I just wish my father was still here to enjoy it with me.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:04 PM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Merry Christmas
Steve & Linda D

Nope, not dreaming or pretending at all Steve, I lived 9 years in snow country and shoveled my fair share of it. If I want to relive any snow memories it's only an hour away and sure looks pretty on the mountains around me. Can't think of one time though, in the last 50 years, that I had the urge to experience it anymore close up and personal .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:09 PM   #11

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
One of my favorite Christmas presents I ever received when I was a child was a beautiful snow shovel with my name emblazoned on the handle. My dad and I spent many hours outdoors shoveling snow together and then when we finished , enjoying a cup of hot cocoa .

Merry Christmas
My Dad still lives in northern Utah - between Salt Lake City and Ogden. One of his favorite Christmas presents was the Ariens electric start snowblower I sent him so he wouldn't have to shovel with his aging back! :

It would be nice though to sit down with him over a cup of hot cocoa.
Old 07-01-2018, 02:58 PM   #12

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I have a friend who grew up and lived in Wisconsin and I asked how he came to settle in Birmingham, AL.
He said that after a particularly bad snow he decided to find the right spot for him.
He said that he opened his sun roof and poked a snow shovel through and drove South until someone asked him what the He!! was that!
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 01:35 AM   #13

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
Redbarron55

Oh I know that. When I got asked what the ice scraper I had in my Jeep was for "when I lived by Savannah GA." ��
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:52 AM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
This old thread seems to keep coming back to life, like a snake left for dead but only stunned.

I will just remark that it’s a very good thing we don’t all feel the same about climate. We have only to look at California to see what happens when too many people all want to be in the same place. I understand they’re all moving to Montana now...

We consider ourselves blessed to live in a mild four-season climate in the mountains with nearby skiing, but close enough to the desert, the ocean, the Rockies, and the canyons to provide a change of pace when desired. Snow is an event, not a season.

That said, it was 94* yesterday. Way too hot for October, following the driest monsoon season on record. Since heating wood is in short supply due to COVID restrictions, I guess I’m thankful even for that.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:10 AM   #15

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
My area is flooded with "half backs". Its the term used for people from the NE that retired to FL, hated it, and moved half way back.

2/3 of the second homes owned in my county are people from Florida.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:57 AM   #16

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
This old thread seems to keep coming back to life, like a snake left for dead but only stunned.

I will just remark that it’s a very good thing we don’t all feel the same about climate. We have only to look at California to see what happens when too many people all want to be in the same place. I understand they’re all moving to Montana now...

And Warshington….although it is rumored that much of the now going good real estate boom here is from them Seattle people. I live in an area of the state that has remained undiscovered, but might be discovered now.

My state has had so many people move here that I find myself thinking about moving back to Up Nort Wisconsin, you knowwww. I still have my Yooper Scooper, although I do recall making the vow to invest in a snow blower whilst living Up Nort. I had a largish driveway and it was uphill both ways.

My Warshington neighbors admire the Yooper Scooper when it is brought out and put to work.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 08:14 AM   #17

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
From MI. Enjoy snow. White snow that is. Snow from about January through say June...is dirty snow, that is, snow that is not all that white...bears down on the soul...depresses the joy of the early snow falls. I do miss a good strong blizzard and never really minded that digging out afterwards.

We have lived in TN the last 40+ years, which has 4 seasons, each of reasonable length.
Old 11-03-2020, 10:36 AM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
...4 seasons, each of reasonable length.
. Same here!

And yes, I also enjoy digging out of the snow and winter sports, especially x-country skiing.

I do remember one especially snowy winter c. 1998. I got my fill of skiing that year, and when spring break came with warmer weather, I was looking forward to spending the week working in the garden. When I woke up the second day to yet another snowfall, the winter-meter expired. Threw some clothes and backpacking gear in the car and drove to Phoenix. Spent the rest of my vacation in the desert and bought myself a kayak. Phooey on snow!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote