Strange Scamp water leak - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2021, 05:28 PM   #1

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Strange Scamp water leak

While working on a ham radio project today I noticed some rust on the freshwater tank strap and screw. It took a while to find this minor leak. It turned out that the hose barb for the vent on the fill was broken inside the hose. I am sure the only time it ever leaked was when I over filled the tank, and I do every time. I fill until I see water shoot out of the vent.
Attached Thumbnails
water fill leak.jpg  
AC0GV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 06:00 PM   #2

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Amazing the ways water finds to try to subvert our impervious molded shells. Beginning to think they like hackers just keep trying to find any route in no matter how unexpected.

I am also reminded that it takes checking and inspecting regularly to avoid the damage that an unnoticed leak or wear point can lead to. Good to catch that early as you did because you noticed something and tracked down why.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 06:22 PM   #3

Wisconsin
Registry
Everything felt dry

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
I am also reminded that it takes checking and inspecting regularly to avoid the damage that an unnoticed leak or wear point can lead to. Good to catch that early as you did because you noticed something and tracked down why.
But I did remove the screws and I have a towel under the tank for now and I'll let it dry for a day or two under the tank.
Old 05-28-2021, 07:21 PM   #4

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
Colorado
The cause is most probably torquing the hose clamp too hard and stressing the plastic too much. I had the same kind of problem on the screen that is between the water tank and the pump. That was maybe 3 years back on my 2004 vintage Scamp.

Another detail to pay attention to is that the vent tube does not have a kink. I kept wondering for a long time why the filling tube kept gurgling and filled slowly. Then one day: Eureka!
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 09:20 AM   #5

Name: Dave (and/or John)
Trailer: '05 Scamp 16' (sold), '20 Escape 19'
Georgia
Registry
My water fill was broken where the larger fill hose attaches. They must have cranked down too tight on the clamp.
I also had a leak in the overflow tube, when they screwed the seat bench in, one of the screws went through the overflow tube. Both leaking problems only happened when the tank was full but at least I caught it early and fixed both.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 11:18 AM   #6

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Over time plastic polymers dry out (loose plasticizers) and can become brittle, less able to tolerate physical stresses and can crack.
In your case you may be able fit in a replacement metal barb. Look for one with hose barbs on one end and course threaded on the other.
You may have to drill the internal diameter of the original fitting but try to keep this to a minimum for a secure fit.
I've also seem a small diameter tube placed through the original fitting and caulked in place but I don't know how long this fix lasted.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:45 PM   #7

Wisconsin
Registry
It holds water!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
While working on a ham radio project today I noticed some rust on the freshwater tank strap and screw. It took a while to find this minor leak. It turned out that the hose barb for the vent on the fill was broken inside the hose. I am sure the only time it ever leaked was when I over filled the tank, and I do every time. I fill until I see water shoot out of the vent.
I made the repairs, I had the idea that some sealant would help, it did not. The vent fitting is tapered so the slimed up hose just slipped off the fitting. After flaring the end it stayed on.
But next, after fixing the secondary tank, I checked the primary tank for leaks and found that both screws on the back strap had pulled out of the floor. That trip to Kentucky last month did have some rough highways.
Old 06-15-2021, 08:10 AM   #8

Wisconsin
Registry
Another loose tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
I checked the primary tank for leaks and found that both screws on the back strap had pulled out of the floor. That trip to Kentucky last month did have some rough highways.

After this post I got a PM from another Scamp owner that has had a tank come loose.
CHECK THOSE STRAPS!

Tags
scamp