Surge Valve - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2012, 01:01 AM   #1

Name: Howard
Trailer: 1986 13' Burro
Arizona
Surge Valve

I am trying to put a burro I bought back together and had a question. I am woking on the water system (city hook-up and the tank) I got the tank back together to where there are no longer leaks but I was looking at the city hook-up schematic and noticed a surge valve is supposed to be in line. Of course there isnt one on mine. So I was wondering is this necassary and if so, does anybody know where I can get one? Thanks
Ralefan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:58 AM   #2

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I'm guessing a bit here but if it is the water connection for hooking a hose up to the trailer than yes you need a pressure reducer inline.
They are cheap and take the pressure from 60psi down to 30psi so you don't over pressure the plastic lines.

Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:37 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Put the pressure reducer on the hose bib, right at the faucet, between the faucet and the water hose. Buy brass, not el-cheapo plastic. You'll never regret spending <$10 to protect the water lines in your trailer.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #4

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
i just assembled my hose for my new scamp. this is what i have.

a preasure regulator, 60 psi. then a filter, has charcoal and sediment filter. you never know what crawled in the faucet since the last time it was used. then my hose. and a brass 90 fitting so the hose doesn't stick out and kink or put extra stress on the connections. i have them all preassembled. on the trailer end i have a plastic cap to keep dirt and creapy crawlies out. on the faucet end i have my blow out valve as a handy way to store it,, and keep stuff out of that end at the same time.

i think the preasure regulator is what your needing. it keeps high preasure from blowing your plumbing lines loose.
some camp grounds have to push water a long ways and need a higher preasure to service everyones needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel A. View Post
I'm guessing a bit here but if it is the water connection for hooking a hose up to the trailer than yes you need a pressure reducer inline.
They are cheap and take the pressure from 60psi down to 30psi so you don't over pressure the plastic lines.

i think most are from 50-60 pounds, hose presure can be well over 100ppsi,
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:50 AM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool Internal Pressure Reducers are optional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralefan46 View Post
I was looking at the city hook-up schematic and noticed a surge valve is supposed to be in line. Of course there isn't one on mine. So I was wondering is this necessary and if so, does anybody know where I can get one?
I assume you were looking at page 18 of the Burro Assembly Manual. They don't call it a "surge valve" anymore, and it won't look like the one in the diagram. It's not necessary to install one internally, most people nowadays use one externally as Donna and John point out to protect the entire line from the campground faucet. Having said that, you can get a City Water fitting with a pressure reducer built into it at most RV parts retailers. Some people think that having one installed internally is a fail-safe for anyone forgetting to include a separate pressure reducer in the external hose assembly. I don't know if there are any consequences to using both an internal one AND an external one at the same time.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:16 AM   #6

Arizona
Thanks to all, I think I am gonna look for the external type. Is this something I can get at Home Depot or do I have to go to an RV retailer? Does anyone have a pic of one so I have an idea what I am looking for? Thanks all
Old 03-06-2012, 03:08 AM   #7

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Here is one I use, Marshall.

Some listed here in the link as well.

http://www.rvpartscountry.com/RVWaterPressureRegulator
Attached Thumbnails
Pressure reducer 001.JPG  
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:10 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
They sell them at WalMart in the RV/camping section too. As I said, just don't buy the plastic kind.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:46 AM   #9

Arizona
Thanks all, heading out today to pick one up. 1 more question down, am sure several more to come =)
Old 03-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Home Depot should have them in the garden hose section.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote