To Monitor or NOT to Monitor - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2014, 08:31 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
To Monitor or NOT to Monitor

I've always wanted to add tank monitors to my 13' Scamp. I have the 3 basic tanks- Black, Grey, Fresh.

I've looked at the SeeLevel, Sensa Tank, Tank Edge. And from observation, they basically work the same by attaching probes to the outside of the tanks.

I'm getting mixed opinions as to whether or not they're dependable. Sounds like tank maintenance becomes a "top" priority if you're going to use this system and have it report accurately....except maybe the "fresh" tank because of its clean water.

I'd appreciate hearing from more on these systems that have ran them for several years. My Scamp is 4 yo and the tanks are not new. I'm VERY diligent on keeping my black tank cleaned as it sits right under the commode inside the Scamp. The "grey" tank will be highly questionable and is the tank that I can never tell how much is in it...the tank I need to monitor the most!! But I do thoroughly rinse the tank after EVERY use when I'm parking it for awhile. As far as the monitor cleaning advice, I've read how to bleach it...go down the road...let it slosh...etc. How often is this necessary?? Is it really worth it??

Those are the kinds of questions I have and again, will anticipate answers/opinions.

Darral
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 03:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Don't bother.

You can see the level in the black tank, and the fresh tank is less than the capacity of the black and gray water tanks. Just be ready to dump when you've used two full tanks of fresh water.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:04 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
I'd appreciate hearing from more on these systems that have ran them for several years. My Scamp is 4 yo and the tanks are not new. I'm VERY diligent on keeping my black tank cleaned as it sits right under the commode inside the Scamp. The "grey" tank will be highly questionable and is the tank that I can never tell how much is in it...the tank I need to monitor the most!! But I do thoroughly rinse the tank after EVERY use when I'm parking it for awhile. As far as the monitor cleaning advice, I've read how to bleach it...go down the road...let it slosh...etc. How often is this necessary?? Is it really worth it??

Those are the kinds of questions I have and again, will anticipate answers/opinions.

Darral
I for awhile thought it would be nice to have monitors but as Dan says its pretty easy to know when you need to dump either the black or the grey tanks.

To clean out the grey tank well and the black tank for that matter you need to purchase a Tank Wand. For the grey water tank just stick it into the tank from the release outlet. I usually rinse mine out with the wand a number of times over the course of a camping season or if I have been out in the trailer for more than a few weeks. I do add some bleach to the fresh tank every spring after I have cleared out the anti freeze and let it sit for while and then run it through the whole system and let it sit in the grey tank for a few hours before releasing. BTW putting cubed ice into the black tank after you have dumped it and driving around is a quick and easy way to clean it out as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:44 PM   #4

Thanks for the comments.

There's one parameter that I didnt mention; this would be based on Dan's comments. Most of my camping is done using city water- not the water tank. This pretty much renders keeping up with the gal. consumed ineffective.

I think cleaning the tank as Carol describes will be the key to a dependable probe/monitoring system if it is decided.

If there are others that have or are using a tank monitor system, I would love to hear from you as well... the pros/cons...and overall...is it worth the trouble? OR...is there a better way to keep a watch on your grey tank? You never know when there may be a Clever Cleve out there just waiting for the moment to throw a never-thought-of before idea our way.

Darral
Old 10-11-2014, 05:55 PM   #5
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Darral give this one a look,
http://http://levelguardproducts.com/marine-rv/rv-marine-multi-tank-monitor.php
It's the one I installed and I am very happy with it. You can choose two or three tank monitoring systems. Retail is about $148 for the two tank version but you can get it for half that if you watch for It on amazon ( like I did).
Sid
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:59 PM   #6

Thanks Sid. I think we crossed paths on another Forum topic. I'm very seriously looking at this "Sensa Tank" version. I wish they had just a "single" tank monitor. I would lock in on the grey tank and be done with it.

One thing I HAVE decided after studying up on this, I'm going to "temporarily" mount the control panel in a cabinet/closet where it's concealed. If it gets undependable and I get tired of fooling with it, I will rip it out and no one will ever know it's been there.

Darral (thanks for the Amazon note...I will check it out)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
Darral give this one a look,
http://http://levelguardproducts.com/marine-rv/rv-marine-multi-tank-monitor.php
It's the one I installed and I am very happy with it. You can choose two or three tank monitoring systems. Retail is about $148 for the two tank version but you can get it for half that if you watch for It on amazon ( like I did).
Sid
Old 10-11-2014, 07:22 PM   #7
Sid

Wisconsin
Oops. My bad Darral.
The temp mount sounds like a good idea. I also didn't relish the idea of cutting a hole in the FG. If you look closely at the pic I posted my mounting bracket is a small wooden picture frame I got at Goodwill that matches the woodwork in the ParkLiner.
Sid
Old 10-11-2014, 09:33 PM   #8

Not bad at all Sid!! I havent thought about a "picture" frame... that's a neat idea...cheap and simple! I like that. You're actually the one that's pointed me to the SensaTank.

I'm not sure if I've read, but how long have you been using that system? And ANY problems at all with it? I DEFINITELY like how the probes mount over the way the SeeLevel mounts. I know you have more resolution with the SeeLevel but geee...you're only watching intermittent progress over tank levels and not chemical analysis amounts.

So far, if I decide to go with a monitor, it's the one you've recommended. .

Darral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
Oops. My bad Darral.
The temp mount sounds like a good idea. I also didn't relish the idea of cutting a hole in the FG. If you look closely at the pic I posted my mounting bracket is a small wooden picture frame I got at Goodwill that matches the woodwork in the ParkLiner.
Sid
Old 10-12-2014, 06:09 AM   #9
Sid

Wisconsin
Darral
We have had it for only one trip but that was the trip where we experienced the biggest temperature extremes. We were on the north shore of Lake Superior last week where at night it got down to 28 and daytime up to about 60. As expected the system worked great. Looking at the construction and the sensing technology I would expect this to give years of dependable use.
In short no buyers remorse
Sid
Old 10-13-2014, 05:49 PM   #10

Name: D and R
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Registry
Has anybody compared the iseries, see level, and this one?

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
dlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:19 PM   #11

DLUX,

I'm assuming you mean when you say, "and this one", the SensaTank?

I'm not sure anyone on this forum will have experienced all three. But I've studied up on all of them. I can only speak from observation and not experience. I HAVE talked to several people that have installed these and some that have used them for awhile. Overall, it seems ANY of the external sensors are going to experience false readings if there's any sludge or anything in the tanks that can hold water... such as on the side of a grey tank even. I spoke to a gentleman just yesterday aft that had a Class B motorhome. He was demonstrating his monitoring system to me and the "black" tank was reading full. He said he knew it wasnt full. Basically? It was useless. Not sure what brand it was.

Anyway, all three of these models' probes mount to the outside of and you dont have to poke holes in the tank.

I like the Sensatank "probes" better than any of the models I've looked at. The SeeLevel has an electronic board that you have to position, cut, seal, etc. The SensaTank has 2-4 probes (depending on tank, model, etc) that attach to the side of the tank. What I saw on the "Iseries" (Tech-Edge) that I didnt like, was that you have to install double foil strips, apply pieces wired to the center probe to them....quite involved from what I've seen on video and read about. But, maybe their process makes reading the tanks more reliable?? But how would all of that hold up on the black tank underneath the trailers is my concern.

If I decided on one of the three systems right now, thanks to Sid, I would purchase the SensaTank. But currently, I have some more ideas in mind..... Besides, I'm not in a rush but will conclude by spring one way or the other.

One major thing I've learned? Perfectly CLEAN tanks are NOT an option!
Old 10-13-2014, 06:24 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You'll learn to use your ears to determine how full the tanks are. You'll hear the water going down the sink (or shower) and the same with the toilet and after a while, you'll KNOW when they're getting full. Well, all I can say is it worked well for me for 12 years...

Best of luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:28 PM   #13

Oh come on Donna D! You know I'm a gadget-freak and we men make a hobby out of adding'm to our trailers! Besides, makes good conversation pieces at rallies.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Oh come on Donna D! You know I'm a gadget-freak and we men make a hobby out of adding'm to our trailers! Besides, makes good conversation pieces at rallies.
Good conversation? You mean talking about swirly "noise"? Ten Forward came with tank monitors, doubt I'll ever use them because I forget they're available...
Old 10-13-2014, 06:59 PM   #15

Funny. Women talk the "swirls" the men watch the lights... I have to ask, do you put your ear near the faucet to hear the fresh tank when it's getting low??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Good conversation? You mean talking about swirly "noise"? Ten Forward came with tank monitors, doubt I'll ever use them because I forget they're available...
Old 10-13-2014, 07:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Funny. Women talk the "swirls" the men watch the lights... I have to ask, do you put your ear near the faucet to hear the fresh tank when it's getting low??
No, I don't listen to the fresh tank getting low , but you can tell it is... because the gray and black water tanks start getting a higher "pitch."