Toilet Mod - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #1

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
Toilet Mod (shutoff valve)

I just purchased a cut-off valve for the toilet in case I spring a leak or something boon docking and need an emergency "stop the flow" fix.

I bought it from Little House Customs (Larry Gamble's place).

I have a 2011 Scamp 16 foot (side bathroom, layout 4). Is there an especially convenient to get at place to insert this valve unit?

I've never done anything like this before, so... do I need to empty the gray tank or something before I cut the line to install this? Or shut off the water, blow out lines, whatever, so I don't get water everywhere when cutting the line and installing?

Don't be shy about giving details since I really am clueless (but you all probably know that already from my other posts - lol).

Thx, Sharon
SharonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Here you go
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ine-52295.html
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:07 PM   #3

Texas
Thanks Kevin, helps a lot with the actual installation of tubing to the shut off valve and direction valve needs to be.

If someone with a Scamp (1) side bathroom, (2) who did not take out the toilet (taking out toilet creates a lot more space for cutting tubes, elbow room I won't have) put in this valve, could you help me figure out where to place this valve?

Again, thx.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
you could actually put shut off valve by water tank or in cabinet before bathroom ( is sink also on that side?) I put one in my cabinet next to my furnace under the side dinette bench seat ( different layout)
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #5

Minnesota
Registry
Sharon, Reread your post, no you dont have to drain grey tank or black tank ( has nothing to do with water line), just make sure your pump is off when cutting line, you could also empty water tank if you wanted, leakage should be minimal
Old 05-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #6

Texas
Tom, the stove with oven is beside the bathroom wall, the sink is on the opposite wall beside refrigerator.

Under the oven is a cabinet, and perhaps that is where I will need to put it? It will be a teeny bit difficult to get under that little cabinet in a big hurry, more because I'm 62 now and not quite so agile (and less because I'm also an amputee -- I can't kneel on that leg but I can certainly lay down on my side to reach the turn off valve w/o a problem).

I'll keep exploring for good options. Thank you.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #7

Minnesota
Registry
So only water on that side is to the bathroom? so under one of the rear bench should be a tee fitting on the cold water side, after that tee put your shut off valve. you would lose cold water to shower also, but who wants a cold shower anyway? Or under the rear bench by the ovens your water lines run along wall usually tucked up under the rat fur a bit, your would just have to figure out which one is cold water line, might have to take out a few clamps where line are attached to floor to get enough slack to install. Might be a bit easier to install rather than laying down , although this way your standing on your head, your choice!!!
Old 05-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I think the best place is in the bathroom, close to the toilet valve. If it's not convenient to turn it on and off, you won't and the whole idea is to be able to turn it off... especially when you're away from the trailer for hours.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:52 PM   #9

Texas
ok, thx Donna, that's what I'll do. I agree with the shut-off being as accessible as possible so it will be used as it should be, and certainly that has been my chief concern all along.

S.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Honestly not trying to be smart since my knees arent what they used to be but if done correctly as Donna suggested then one only need to sit down and reach down and turn the cut off knob. JMHO
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #11

Texas
Yep Mike, I totally agree.

I just ordered the valve today, so I've not seen its actual size. I wonder/hope it will be small enough to fit right where Donna suggested. I think under that cabinet under the oven where I'd basically need to get on the floor laying down to get at it was the worst case scenario -- but I've come to realize I really do need a toilet shut-off valve (heh, best protection against having something go wrong is to be prepared!). I also think I'll save some water boondocking this way.

S.

Man, I can't WAIT to get out of this (unsold still) house and hit the road. So much yet to do. Sigh.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #12

Texas
I think that Larry at Larry Custom house has a picture of it mounted. I was down there a month ago and met him and his wife. Nice People. I know thats what I am going to do.
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 05-06-2013, 08:25 PM   #13

Texas
I think the difference in size between my 16 foot scamp and the typical 17 foot casita wrecks my perspective on size, especially the bathroom. But I feel pretty sure it'll fit ok. BTW Mike, I ordered this from Larry and if I can't manage the install myself, I'll swing by his shop when I finally hit the road. If I'm that far up in your territory whenever I launch, maybe we can share good conversation and a cup of coffee somewhere!!!

Sharon
Old 05-06-2013, 09:09 PM   #14

Texas
Count me in. I am in the Greenville, Rockwall area or within a 100 Texas miles
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 05-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #15

Texas
Sweet. I have to head north when I hit the road. San Antonio to your neck of the woods will be fun. I will have no schedule and where I go (and when) will be a daily decision. Woohoo, I can't wait.

See you in the future Mike. Don't go to Australia or something before that shared cup of coffee with moi.

Sharon