Transporting your dump tank - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2021, 03:17 PM   #1

Name: George
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Transporting your dump tank

There are times when we are set up in a location without a dump station near by and hooking up and taking the Scamp for a ride was the only solution to empty our gray and black water tanks. I came up with this answer. I bought an electric wheel chair hitch carrier from Harbor Freight, cut it down in both length and width to fit my 25 gallon blue tank. Hinged it to the hitch bar and cut down the ramp to act more like a tailgate. The hinges have removable pins to make stowing easier. This way it takes up little more room in the back of the truck than what the tank does by itself. I have a rear hitch on the back of the Scamp and this rides there while traveling unless we have the bike rack on it. This was rated for 500 pound capacity with a bed of 47" X 27" it is now cut down to 25" X 36" and 25 gallons of water weighs less than half what the original rating was. I usually dump much less than that anyway.
Attached Images

George n Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:31 PM   #2

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Cool!
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 11:36 AM   #3

Name: R.T.
Trailer: Big Foot
Georgia
That's a neat Idea!
dblcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 01:02 PM   #4

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Save some money

Quote:
Originally Posted by George n Mary View Post
There are times when we are set up in a location without a dump station near by and hooking up and taking the Scamp for a ride was the only solution to empty our gray and black water tanks. I came up with this answer. I bought an electric wheel chair hitch carrier from Harbor Freight, cut it down in both length and width to fit my 25 gallon blue tank. .
Just buy one of the tanks that are meant to be towed in the campground.
Or just buy the towing handle for the one you have.
https://smile.amazon.com/Tote-N-Stor...1946853&sr=8-7
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 01:06 PM   #5

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita 17 FD
Florida
Good Idea

I wonder if it could not be even better if a hitch receiver was installed on the rear bumper of the trailer so that when not in use and when traveling, the carrier AND the empty tank could transported there without taking up space in the tow vehicle. I know that most fiberglass trailer bumpers are not strong enough to carry much of a load, but the carrier (55 lb) and the empty tank (10 lb?) probably would not be a problem. THOUGHTS about that???

Also, for those thinking of copying your idea, it would be helpful if you described how you hinged the carrier to the tow bar.
GatorCasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 01:08 PM   #6

Michigan
Kenneth
I do use this tank with the tow handle when in a RV park that has a dump station. I use this arrangement when we are set up miles away from a dump station.
Old 01-29-2021, 01:15 PM   #7

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorCasita View Post
I wonder if it could not be even better if a hitch receiver was installed on the rear bumper of the trailer so that when not in use and when traveling, the carrier AND the empty tank could transported there without taking up space in the tow vehicle. I know that most fiberglass trailer bumpers are not strong enough to carry much of a load, but the carrier (55 lb) and the empty tank (10 lb?) probably would not be a problem. THOUGHTS about that???

Also, for those thinking of copying your idea, it would be helpful if you described how you hinged the carrier to the tow bar.
We do have a hitch on the back of the Scamp and carry our tank that way when ever we do not have our bikes with us as our bike carrier uses the Scamp hitch.

The Carrier come disassembled but with a steel plate welded to the steel hitch insert. This is meant to be bolted to the aluminum carrier. I just bolted tee hinges to this plate and riveted the hinge to the carrier frame and fabricated a slide bolt to secure the hinged top down. You will need to shim the tee hinges below the aluminum carrier to compensate for the thickness of the steel plate, I used a peice of 1/8" aluminum flat stock.
Old 02-03-2021, 12:17 PM   #8

Name: Thomas
Trailer: Scamp
Hollywood
Carrying Turd Toater and bikes on scamp

V
Quote:
Originally Posted by George n Mary View Post
There are times when we are set up in a location without a dump station near by and hooking up and taking the Scamp for a ride was the only solution to empty our gray and black water tanks. I came up with this answer. I bought an electric wheel chair hitch carrier from Harbor Freight, cut it down in both length and width to fit my 25 gallon blue tank. Hinged it to the hitch bar and cut down the ramp to act more like a tailgate. The hinges have removable pins to make stowing easier. This way it takes up little more room in the back of the truck than what the tank does by itself. I have a rear hitch on the back of the Scamp and this rides there while traveling unless we have the bike rack on it. This was rated for 500 pound capacity with a bed of 47" X 27" it is now cut down to 25" X 36" and 25 gallons of water weighs less than half what the original rating was. I usually dump much less than that anyway.
I bought a 1 foot hitch extension at Harbour Freight to make room for the Tank and still mount the bikes.
Attached Thumbnails
20210203_131150.jpg  
Tcjmiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 03:34 PM   #9
tua

Name: Traveler
Trailer: Happier Camper
Utah
Wow! Genius!
tua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 04:06 PM   #10

Name: Brad
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
great idea. I like it.
bradster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:18 AM   #11

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
I know a guy who tows the tank behind his bicycle to dump it when camping in a campground. Doesn't get much simpler.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote