Type of this waterline fitting? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2022, 06:10 AM   #1

Name: FLIN
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Registry
Type of this waterline fitting?

From Scamp '22.

Searched online but couldn't find similar ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2022-10-01 080623.jpg   Screenshot 2022-10-01 080609.jpg  

Screenshot 2022-10-01 085120.png  
FLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 09:56 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
That is just a PEX by swivel, hand connector. Except it is not a typical PEX crimp ring on the tube side.

You can get these fittings at Lowes, and probably Home Depot. You'll also need to get some cinch rings and a cinch tool, readily available at Lowes. They are very easy to use. If you are trying to replace that end fitting, just snip it off and crimp on a new one, but get a metal one instead of the plastic.

The female end is the same design and thread as a typical stainless braided pigtail found under home sinks, by the millions. Again, easy to find at any plumbing supply.

You don't show much of the tube, but if it is just a pigtail, go get a pre-made stainless one and screw it on. That connection is called 1/2", it fits 1/2" pipe threads.
Old 10-01-2022, 10:16 AM   #3

Name: FLIN
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Registry
Thank you John, this helps a lot.

As you said their crimp ring is a bit unusual. The common ones I found are like below. Just for curiosity, what's the name of the rings used by Scamp factory?
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2022-10-01 121451.png  
FLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 10:44 AM   #4

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIN View Post
Thank you John, this helps a lot.

As you said their crimp ring is a bit unusual. The common ones I found are like below. Just for curiosity, what's the name of the rings used by Scamp factory?
I don't know, but the ring shown is a cinch ring. Very easy to use and easy to get. You also have to get the special tool, but keep it with you for on the road repairs. Cinch rings are a plumbing industry standard and will not fail. The plastic fittings so many trailer manufacturers use are just barely good enough. Get brass PEX fittings.

You can grab a piece of PEX, some various fittings, the tool and rings, and you can fix just about any fitting problems easily. There is no reason to try to match what the factory did, do it better with readily available parts.
Old 10-01-2022, 11:11 AM   #5

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
I don't know, but the ring shown is a cinch ring. Very easy to use and easy to get. You also have to get the special tool, but keep it with you for on the road repairs. Cinch rings are a plumbing industry standard and will not fail. The plastic fittings so many trailer manufacturers use are just barely good enough. Get brass PEX fittings.

You can grab a piece of PEX, some various fittings, the tool and rings, and you can fix just about any fitting problems easily. There is no reason to try to match what the factory did, do it better with readily available parts.
Agree - and PEX is fantastic stuff! I have a plumber friend who capped one end of PEX, filled with water, and capped the other end. He keeps it in the freezer and gets it out when ever he goes out on a new job to show the customer. He pounds it on what ever is available, uses it as a hammer, and it doesn't crack or break! So much better that copper.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 07:19 PM   #6

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I've repaired PEX fittings using good ol' worm drive hose clamps.

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 06:26 AM   #7

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Second the hose clamps, great for a temp fix and also, I prefer the copper crimp clamps rather than the cinch rings

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 10:56 AM   #8

Smith Valley, Nevada
Neither the copper rings nor the stainless cinch rings will ever fail, if installed correctly. They are both well proven systems. The important differences are: Ring availability and the tool to crimp them. Copper ring crimpers generally have a bolt cutter shape and it's use is awkward in tight places. There are some smaller designs, but they are expensive and harder to find. The cinch ring tool is easily found at Lowes and can get into very tight situations. In a pinch, you could even use a nipper to cinch the rings. Also, a cinch ring can be removed much more easily than a copper crimp ring. This is done with a small, sharp, diagonal wire cutter that sort of peels away the joint in the ring.

Using a hose clamp on PEX is strictly temporary and is not likely to work well unless it is the smallest clamp you can find that goes around the pipe. This is because PEX is very hard and relatively thin, so it is hard to crush uniformly around the barb to make a good seal, with a hose clamp. Hose clamps don't have a smooth interior surface, so they don't apply even pressure to form the PEX around the barbs.

Hose clamps work well on reinforced vinyl hose, and some manufacturers use cinch rings on vinyl too, although that seems like a bad idea as the two materials have different wall thicknesses and different ID and OD. The rings have a very specific purpose and hose clamps are for general use on many different materials.

Anything goes, out in the field, in an emergency. But it's better to use the correct stuff as much as you can and for longer term repairs.

The plastic Acetal fittings commonly used with PEX, in my opinion, are not a good choice. Their only advantage, outside of plumbing a salt water system, is that they save manufacturers a few cents on each fitting, but they can crack very easily. Use brass fittings. Most manufacturer's use way too many fittings too. PEX is designed to bend, so bend it instead of using a 90 degree elbow at every corner. Think in PEX, instead of thinking in copper.
Old 10-05-2022, 02:16 PM   #9

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
What does it hook to? Have you broken it? That might help with better information. Looks like a pex to sink fitting. But that is just a guess.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote