U Haul CT Water System - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2013, 08:55 AM   #1

Name: Chris
Trailer: U-Haul
Georgia
Registry
Well I had a guy tell me just flush it out with clean water and maybe a little bleach and it will be OK. I don't think so. Got to the hoses and they are Black and look to be caked on the inside with crud of some sort. So it's off for all new hoses, check valve, water inlet cup, and possibly a new drain.

The question is where does the vent for the holding tank go? Mine was unhooked but it looks to go to the drain? Would that not let the waste water from the bottom of the sink go back into the fresh water tank? Should it not vent to the outside in the side compartment door some way?
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:39 AM   #2

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Smile

Chris, I had to build mine after I bought the trailer. There maybe a diagram or at least I know there are parts listed in the UHaul Document Center of this Website.
I am suggeting that you Print out the Manual and the parts Manual for your personal reference.
The graywater from the sink drains directly down and through the floor out. Should be caught in a bucket under your trailer while camping. For this hose, I used "Bildge tubing" It's for boats. Or You can buy the whole thing at an RV supply store.
You can find all the hoses and tubes in a good hardware store. Throw the old ones away, not worth cleaning. Then clamp the new ones on. Save the Flow Valve (tiny plastic thing) and connect the new tubes to it, making sure it is facing the right way. (It has an arrow on it.) This could be what you are thinking of as a vent. The Fresh water tank drains out the back of the trailer throught a "pet cock" This is a $2.00 item that can be bought at any RV supply place.
I bought all the tubes at a True Value Hardware store and cut them to fit. The measurements are in the UHaul Parts Manual.
I remember the most difficult thing was connecting the short tube in the back of the tank to the drain cock as there is not any room to manuver. You are a big guy, may want tiny woman fingers to do this. HA! And I had to hairdryer heat the tube connecting to the pump faucet to get it to fit, this tubing is thick. You can rebuild it,
Piece of cake!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #3

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Oh yes, make sure everything is upright and facing the rightway. You might want to mark the tank with a marker...front, top, back etc. These tanks cost around $100. so...
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I think that Diane has nailed it, but I'll add a few observations.

The hose from the fresh water filler inlet to the tank is this Smooth-Bor stuff. It has a slightly different inner diameter than what the big box home stores sell. I ended up buying this at an RV dealer, as I couldn't get the other stuff to seal at the tank properly.

Smooth-Bor 1-1/4" x 10' Water Fill Hose - Fill Hoses - Fresh Water Tanks - Plumbing

The vent hose was originally routed back parallel to the filler hose and stuck out a hole next to the filler door. That way when you are filling the tank you can see the overflow spurt out the hose.