Used antifreeze disposal - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2020, 04:34 PM   #1

Name: Esther
Trailer: Casita
Massachusetts
Exclamation Used antifreeze disposal

We got our Casita late in the season but want to take a few trips before winter (we live in New England). We needed to first de-winterize the camper which left us with buckets of used antifreeze. Does anyone know where used antifreeze can be disposed?
Old 09-26-2020, 05:17 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
RV antifreeze disposal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esther out east View Post
We got our Casita late in the season but want to take a few trips before winter (we live in New England). We needed to first de-winterize the camper which left us with buckets of used antifreeze. Does anyone know where used antifreeze can be disposed?
I was always told RV antifreeze is not toxic and can be safely disposed of in a septic system or the local RV dump station. If it were toxic, you wouldn't want to put it in your fresh water system, ...
I use about 4 gallons a year on different pumps etc and have never killed anything dumping it on the ground. (Buckets of used antifreeze? How did you get buckets? Did the PO fill the water heater?)
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:00 PM   #3

Massachusetts
We flushed out the system w/ H2O into joint compound buckets.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:26 PM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
You may pour the used rv antifreeze down any toilet or sewer as long as it’s the pink stuff.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:36 AM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Boler and 1988 Bigfoot
Used antifreeze disposal

Yes If it the pink stuff it can just go down the drain. My question is is how did you get just the antifreeze out. As usually it has to be flushed out being hooked up to city water or filling holding tank and turning on pump and flushing water through system. If you just turn on pump you will get some out of the water lines but unless they have put antifreeze in holding tank(I don.t know why) you won't get much out. Just hook up city water turn on the water open all taps open grey waste valve and flush it out and down the drain. If they have put antifreeze in the holding tank , well you will have to fill that and drain it a couple of time as to get the antifreeze taste out. I have never put antifreeze in my holding tank. Just drain it in the fall and leave the drain open. If there is any water in there it is only going to freeze and the tank is big enough that there won't be any expansion. And if you got all the antifreeze out by itself well just save it for next year.
Rick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:04 AM   #6

Massachusetts
Smile

This is exactly what we did. We hooked the camper up to city water and flushed out the system. Unfortunately there was antifreeze in the fresh water tank (we rinsed it many times) so I think we'll be bringing jug water for the rest of this season.

Thank you all for your input. This has been very helpful.
Old 10-03-2020, 12:18 PM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft Casita
Antifreeze

Why in the world would you put antifreeze in the fresh water tank you do not need to put antifreeze in fresh water tank.
johnlochbuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 12:30 PM   #8

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
I put it in mine to get it into the pump.
Lynn Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 01:13 PM   #9

Wisconsin
Registry
camp instructions

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlochbuie View Post
Why in the world would you put antifreeze in the fresh water tank you do not need to put antifreeze in fresh water tank.
It's how SCAMP says to do it.
Attached Thumbnails
ANTIFREEZE.jpg  
Old 10-03-2020, 01:18 PM   #10

Wisconsin
Registry
I added a winterizing valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eberhardt View Post
It is just and A/B valve switching between the fresh tank and a hose that I stick in the antifreeze jug.
Attached Thumbnails
16 BYPASS1.jpg  
Old 10-04-2020, 12:31 AM   #11

Trailer: 1974 Boler and 1988 Bigfoot
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
It is just and A/B valve switching between the fresh tank and a hose that I stick in the antifreeze jug.
Yes that is it exactly, except not every trailer comes with a bypass valve and a syphon hose. Putting antifreeze in fresh water tank oh my it will take forever or not even get the antifreeze taste out of your tank. It is so easy to add a valve and a hose to suck in the antifreeze.
Rick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 04:20 AM   #12

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M View Post
Yes that is it exactly, except not every trailer comes with a bypass valve and a syphon hose. Putting antifreeze in fresh water tank oh my it will take forever or not even get the antifreeze taste out of your tank. It is so easy to add a valve and a hose to suck in the antifreeze.
You don’t even need to add a valve. Disconnect the input to the pump and attach a short section of tubing to the input. Insert it into the antifreeze container and pump away. When finished, disconnect tube and reattach tubing from FW tank. This eliminates another unnecessary mechanical connection where a leak could occur. Furthermore, the three-way valve commonly used has much smaller diameter passageways, and it somewhat restricts flow during “normal” operation.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 08:01 AM   #13

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Or, you can connect a compressor to the city water inlet and simply blow all the water out of the fresh water system by opening the sink faucet, the shower and the outdoor shower, until no more water comes out.

Drain the fresh water tank. Drain the water heater. Run the water pump for a minute to get the water out of it, blow out all lines, including the toilet flush valve, with air, and then pour about 1/2 cup of RV antifreeze into the sink and shower drain to protect the traps. Total antifreeze used is about 1 cup.

A compressor hose can easily be adapted to a garden nose fitting. Set the compressor regulator to about 40 PSI, and blow the system out.

Doing this eliminates getting any antifreeze into the fresh water system. I used this method for years with a previous trailer and never had a problem. To re-start the system, simply connect to city water and flush out the air.

RV antifreeze is non-toxic, but it is not appealing to drink and has kind of a sweet taste. Yuck. It can be flushed out onto the ground or down a drain. It's dilute propylene glycol, which is also used in food products, without the pink coloring. It is also used as a corrosion inhibitor, without the pink color.
Old 10-04-2020, 08:53 AM   #14

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M View Post
What taste ? I’ve put RV antifreeze in my trailer’s fresh water tank and pumped it through the plumbing system for years . I disinfect the system come Spring and the only taste / smell I get is from the bleach !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 01:05 PM   #15

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eberhardt View Post
and into the lines to and from the pump
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 12:13 PM   #16

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita17'Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
Purge Process to Winterize Your RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
... you can connect a compressor to the city water inlet and simply blow all the water out of the fresh water system ...

Drain the fresh water tank. Drain the water heater. Run the water pump for a minute to get the water out of it, blow out all lines, including the toilet flush valve, with air, and then pour about 1/2 cup of RV antifreeze into the sink and shower drain to protect the traps. Total antifreeze used is about 1 cup.

A compressor hose can easily be adapted to a garden nose fitting. ...

Doing this eliminates getting any antifreeze into the fresh water system. I used this method for years with a previous trailer and never had a problem. To re-start the system, simply connect to city water and flush out the air.
Here is an excellent video that walks you thru the above process:

I use a small electric air compressor that I picked up years ago to maintain my vehicles' tire pressure and connect it to the city water connection using a blow out plug. Then, I splash about a cup of antifreeze into the sink and shower drains since my Casita has P-traps for those lines into the gray tank.
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 02:55 PM   #17

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
save it and use it next year.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 05:35 PM   #18

Name: Tony
Ohio
As mentioned the Scamp guidance is to put a gallon or two of RV antifreeze into the freshwater tank after draining it and after draining the hot water heater. You turn on the demand pump and open the cold water faucets, flush the toilet and pour some RV antifreeze into the sink trap and shower drain. Last step is to run the shower drain pump. It’s pretty easy. I just did it.

A bit of confusion for me comparing the old scamp winterizing video to what seems to be the new one. The old one has you turn on the hot water faucet while the new one doesn’t. It seems the new Scamps fill the hot water tank directly if it’s empty. The older ones may need a hot water demand to start filling the tank. Anyway, somehow the hot water pump and the line from the fresh water talk to the pump need to be cleared of water. I did turn on the hot water faucet at the end because I did it that way last year and I didn’t have a problem.
Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote