Water heater for a 13' Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2010, 06:30 AM   #1

Name: Jon
Trailer: 1983 13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Water heater for a 13' Scamp

Hi, I am considering a propape water heater for an outside shower. Has anyone done this and if so what heater did you use and how do you have it setup. I am thinking about at the Suburban propane sw6d or the 3 gallon one mounted in the bottom of the closet (I am going out to measure now).
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:59 AM   #2

Name: Paul
Trailer: 13' Boler 1977
Ontario
sounds like a greta idea, .........would you be plumbing it into the sink as well?, that is what i am looking to do when we do a total redo of our Boler, .........would be nice to have hot water while camping, just to clean up etc........

other than that i am not sure on how to plumb it, some might need an electric hook up as well as propane????

very interested in this topic
pbraunton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:16 AM   #3

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Evergreen --
We have an electric WH that the previous owners installed into our 13' Scamp -in the upper left area of the closet (there is an a/c in the bottom area). They installed a shelf about waist high and mounted the water heater and connected it to the built in outdoor shower (which is right outside the door -- IMO, a dumb place to put the shower, as it would make a nice watery mess right outside the door). I don't have photos of the unit. As far as I know, it does not connect to the sink water line, which is only cold water.
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:06 AM   #4

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Registry
so i was at Home Depot the other day and saw an end cap display with an 'instant hot water now dispenser' display. i saw the tiny faucets and the tiny hot water tank/heater and immediately thought - this might be my solution if i were to decide to add a shower to the bathroom in my 13' ... i could rig this up under the sink and with a T - run a line to the bathroom.
question for the electrical folks is - is this as efficient as they say? i mean specifically for us eggers? i am sure its fine for the house, but since i dont have a house or know anything about electrical i will defer to the experts here among us!

link here:
InSinkErator | Model SST-FLTR
Paul Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:41 AM   #5

Name: Paul
Trailer: 13' Boler 1977
Ontario
Well for the electrical hook up, I am no electrician, but most house hold circuits are 120v 15 amp, and this unto says 120 v 6.25 amp, so as lots of room to have it hooked up in a circuit with other appliances, such as your fridge?

But if I were hooking it up I would put it on it's own circuit just to make sure it had enough power, this is also assuming you have the correct 220 v 30 amp, coming from the post to your trailer, if you only have 120 V 15 amp to your trailer it would still work but might blow a breaker if you run too many things at once

It's a great idea though, will keep it in mind for my remodel, it gets the water HOT though, lowest setting is 160 degrees, now if they made a propane version of this I'd be all set!!!
pbraunton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:22 AM   #6

Massachusetts
I would like a propane model, hopefully will be spending time outside of RV parksm and AC. I just did some measuring and even the small 3 gallon is about 1 inch too deep. Will have to do some more thinking on this one.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:54 PM   #7

Massachusetts
Ok, did some more measuring. I can fit it in the port aft seat. I think I will order the Suburban SW6D. This refit is starting to get fun!
Old 12-04-2010, 03:58 PM   #8

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
I bought a Coleman Hot Water On Demand earlier this year and am very pleased with it.

Pbraunton, campground 30 amp hookups are 110v, not 220v.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:56 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Have you seen mine?
Attached Thumbnails
17HtrClosed.jpg   HtrOpen.jpg  

ShowerHead.jpg   1Curbside.jpg  

Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:39 PM   #10

Massachusetts
I dod some measuring and a Suburban won't fit where you have yours in our camper. I just ordered the SW6D and plan on putting it on the other side aft locker. Things are starting to shape up now that I am starting to put things back together!
Old 12-05-2010, 08:59 PM   #11

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Have purchased the SW6D and will be adding it under the sink; as it was done on the original factory install. Robert is the sink left of the door; the same place as 17' boler units?
Really like the photos of your shower setup. This is a great idea for all smaller units: hot water for shower and at the sink!

P.S. Check out this link of a SW6D install; it was of help to me.

The water heater unit in Roberts pictures above is a smaller unit than the SW6D and would be a better install on smaller units.
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:26 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
I have an Atwood six gallon heater in my Scamp, installed inside my vertical cabinet on the curbside just to the left of my door.

This position was "predetermined" by the original owner... A small 120V window air conditioner had been crudely installed there. The wheel well had to be cut down by 1/2" to accommodate the heater's design. New fiberglass and resin made a neat waterproof "pan" with a drain.

Though the heater comes with an insulating styrofoam shroud, I lined the compartment with more foam to both stabilize the heater from motion vibrations as well as to add more insulation.

Foam-wrapped PEX water lines deliver hot water to the shower as well as my galley sink.
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 04:39 AM   #13

Name: Mandi
Trailer: In the market
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen View Post
Hi, I am considering a propape water heater for an outside shower. Has anyone done this and if so what heater did you use and how do you have it setup. I am thinking about at the Suburban propane sw6d or the 3 gallon one mounted in the bottom of the closet (I am going out to measure now).
How much is your budget about the water heater? Shoot me a message.
eldercaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:36 PM   #14

Ontario
Registry
Robert all the gas and water Lines in my trailer are copper with flair fittings. For the return line to shower taps will look into PEX.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:07 PM   #15

Massachusetts
Hi Mandi, I won't say I don't have a budget but this was something we thoguht was pretty important to us so I bought the sw6d. It is now sitting in the Scamp waiting for me to install. We are ending up doing a pretty complete restore so we figured why not since it is all torn apart now anyway.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:52 AM   #16

Ontario
Registry
Really like Robert Johans setup in his 13 ft. scamp. Our shower will be inside the washroom as the bathroom already had factory placed positions in mouldings. We also have a budget but this was something we also thought was pretty important to us as well Jon. As stated we bought the sw6d like you, it was on sale at our local Rv dealer. The tank is now sitting in the boler closet waiting for install; along with taps, shower hose and winter tank bypass kit. Drains are finished now. We are ending up doing retro fit of shower as close as possible to the original Earlton factory design. Robert Johans setup looks better for space in a small 13 ft unit. I am waiting for the right weather before cutting a hole in the side of our trailer under the sink to start the next part of the install.
Hope your restore Jon is going well.

Tags
scamp