Water pressure regulator - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: Scamp
Washington
Water pressure regulator

Hello All,

Will be picking up my new Scamp 13' next month. The Scamp will have a sink, but not a toilet or shower. I was wondering if I will need a Water Pressure Regulator when hooking up to water at the campgrounds. I saw one at Cabellas a few days ago and hadn't even given it a thought until then. I would appreciate any ideas anyone has about this.

Thank you
Dave Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:42 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
The water pressure regulator protects the plumbing in your trailer from being trashed by too high pressure. If you have a sink, I presume you have plumbing ( not always the case on this forum ).
It's cheap insurance.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:44 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Always a good idea to use one. Pressure at campgrounds can vary greatly. Mine stays on my hose permanently.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:44 PM   #4

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
water pressure reg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harris View Post
Hello All,

Will be picking up my new Scamp 13' next month. The Scamp will have a sink, but not a toilet or shower. I was wondering if I will need a Water Pressure Regulator when hooking up to water at the campgrounds. I saw one at Cabellas a few days ago and hadn't even given it a thought until then. I would appreciate any ideas anyone has about this.

Thank you
Yes buy one and use it. It will save your pipes from blowing apart.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:50 PM   #5

Name: Dave
Washington
Thank you Chuck, Carol and Glenn,
They are cheap enough, Will pick up one and add it to my collection of supplies going to Backus.
Dave Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:37 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Don't buy the cheap plastic regulator. The brass kind is only a couple of bucks more. When the brass regulator I own quit working, it turned out it was the rubber hose washer... the screen was plugged. Cleaned it well and it's good to go.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:15 AM   #7

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
You can also buy a brass one at Walmart in the camping/RV section.. However, some newer campgrounds may already have regulators on the water hookups. Better safe then sorry. Congrats David on the new Scamp and welcome to the forum.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:37 AM   #8

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
"Need" is a pretty strong word. With all the pex piping I expect it isn't needed. However, I agree with the others that it is cheap insurance. I've always used one the few times I've had that option.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:26 PM   #9

Name: felix
Trailer: 82 burro 13 "PookaBurro"
Oregon
Does anyone know if any regulators are also backflow preventers (one way flow)? Or do I need a separate backflow preventer inline?
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:42 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix2 View Post
Does anyone know if any regulators are also backflow preventers (one way flow)? Or do I need a separate backflow preventer inline?
The city water inlet on the trailer should have a one way flow regulator (backflow) built into it.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:03 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
The city water inlet on the trailer should have a one way flow regulator (backflow) built into it.
Mine doesn't have a regulator or backflow. Just a short piece of pex going to the faucet.
The only times I've used city water there was a regulator already on the water tap.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:14 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Mine doesn't have a regulator or backflow. Just a short piece of pex going to the faucet.
The only times I've used city water there was a regulator already on the water tap.
After I typed that Byron I realized that some of the older or cheaper city water connections may not have had a built in check valve. But even this pretty cheap one on e-bay claims to have a check valve.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:36 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
After I typed that Byron I realized that some of the older or cheaper city water connections may not have had a built in check valve. But even this pretty cheap one on e-bay claims to have a check valve.
OLDER???
Older than what? Your Scamp is 14 years older than mine.
There's a difference in water systems. My city water connection goes directly to a faucet at the sink. The fresh water tank is not ever pressurized and I don't have a water heater, water pump, or shower. Pretty simple system. I do have a regulator/check valve. But I noticed that most of the campgrounds that have water hookups have a regulator/check valve attached to the their of the hookup. (water bib). If that's pretty much the standard a regulator/check valve might not be necessary. However it's pretty cheap insurance.

As for me I think I actually connected the city water 3 times in 8 years. I thinking I'm going to take the faucet out cause it seems always be the way. I can turn that into a paper towel holder.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:39 PM   #14

Registry
No Shower, no need for city water.

David,
Without a toilet and shower there's no need to connect to city water. Simply fill the fresh water tank. I have a trailer very much like yours. I don't use the city water connection.
You'll need to sanitize the fresh water tank as soon as you get it.
Enjoy.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:19 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
OLDER???
Older than what? Your Scamp is 14 years older than mine.
There's a difference in water systems. My city water connection goes directly to a faucet at the sink. The fresh water tank is not ever pressurized and I don't have a water heater, water pump, or shower. Pretty simple system. .
LOL yup my trailer is old but the CIty Water Connection is not original and it does have a check valve built into it as yours probable does if its the same as the one Scamp is currently selling on their website as I know that one does as well. Yup the piping is different on all the trailers based on options installed but if the trailer isnt to old & the water is going through a city water connection it probable has a check valve on it so no need to buy a separate one, which was my attempted point to the question asked.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:52 AM   #16

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Most of the shore water connection points have a built in reverse flow preventer if only to prevent water going out when you are using an on-board pressure pump. In the same vein, few have a pressure regulator. I always attach an inline pressure regulator at the hose bib.\, before my hose.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:54 AM   #17

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Most of the campgrounds in my area have anti siphon (Backflow preventers ) at the sill cock ,because it is required by the State to prevent the possible contamination of potable water. The anti siphons at the campgrounds do not provide pressure regulation , at least in the ones I've seen .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp