water pump runs short burst every 20 or 30 mins - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2018, 05:57 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
water pump runs short burst every 20 or 30 mins

the new-to-me escape 21 has the usual shurflow 4008-101-A65 water pump... if this is left on, a few times an hour, I hear a very short blip of pump running, like 1/2 second or something. can't find any sort of leak, so I'm guessing its the check valve ? I just ordered one, its an $18 part. hope its simple to install...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Seems there are two options, both leaks. There could be a leak inside your pump, like the check valve you mentioned, allowing the water to return to the tank. The other is a leak somewhere on the pressurized side of your system, like a leaky faucet or such. I think you are on the right track with the check valve. But it may just have some debris inside and a cleaning may save you the $18.00.

In the meanwhile just turn off the pump between using water.

Cheers, john
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:28 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Check the shore water inlet and check the water heater drain and pressure valve. Don't forget the toilet valve may leak through so little it may not be noticeable.
There is a slight possibility of an air pocket like in the water heater which is diffusing over time (not likely)
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:33 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
pretty sure I'd hear a hiss if there was even a tiny water leak in the toilet or whatever, and there would be a trickle running down the side fo the bowl, which there isn't.

\and yea, i'm leaving the pump off until needed...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:01 AM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
pretty sure I'd hear a hiss if there was even a tiny water leak in the toilet or whatever, and there would be a trickle running down the side fo the bowl, which there isn't.

\and yea, i'm leaving the pump off until needed...
shut off the water to the water heater, and see if the problem goes away. do the same with the toilet if it has a valve. Try a plug in the shore water inlet.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:52 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
If after what Floyd told you to do, to try and isolate a leak if there is one, it must be the check valve or the pump itself may have a hole in the rubber diafram.
Both are an easy fix....A few years back, My Shur-Flo pump had a bit of debris stuck on the diaframe and it let the water slowly leak back into the tank.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:13 AM   #7

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
If after what Floyd told you to do, to try and isolate a leak if there is one, it must be the check valve or the pump itself may have a hole in the rubber diafram.
Both are an easy fix....A few years back, My Shur-Flo pump had a bit of debris stuck on the diaframe and it let the water slowly leak back into the tank.
After ruling out a tiny leak, my money would be on the check valve assembly. Shur-Flo sells a ton of them and the rubber diaphragm can harden and loose its flexibility with time. The problem may be compounded in locations where there are a lot of dissolved minerals, i.e., calcium carbonate (limestone) in the water. These pumps are not the most sophisticated pieces of equipment.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:21 AM   #8

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I had a problem with my Bigfoot that had the same symptoms. The previous owner had installed one of those very handy bypass valves for winterizing, but his installation was flawed. There was a leak on the non pressurized side of the pump between the pump and the tank. There was no water leaking, but air was getting into the pump on the supply side causing the pump to run.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:10 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Debris inside the pump

There might be a tiny bit of dirt inside the pump that is keeping its internal check valves from seating. We had that in our new Parkliner. After filling the water tank, it must have stirred up debris inside the tank, which got into the pump.
These systems should have screen or filter between the tank and the pump to keep dirt out of the pump.
you can disassemble the pump and find the culprit.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:28 PM   #10

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Both my old Casitas had that symptom in the pump and at the time I just figured that was normal, like no system can be 100% air tight and a minor leak like that does not affect overall performance. Just made sure to turn off the pumps when not in use. Never had a problem with them.

Walt
Old 01-04-2018, 12:57 PM   #11

Name: Neto
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Leaking check valve. Just turn it off when not needed.
Neto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:17 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neto View Post
Leaking check valve. Just turn it off when not needed.
A good habit to get into anyway.
You don't want to forget when leaving the trailer for the day and you spring a leak somewhere in the plumbing.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:32 PM   #13

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
the new-to-me escape 21 has the usual shurflow 4008-101-A65 water pump... if this is left on, a few times an hour, I hear a very short blip of pump running, like 1/2 second or something. can't find any sort of leak, so I'm guessing its the check valve ? I just ordered one, its an $18 part. hope its simple to install...
You have a leak someplace or the hot water heater is not full enough or leaking a little. Check to see if the drain or tp valve is seeping a little. Turn on hot water faucet and let run until no air comes out at all. That should take care of it if it is the hot water heater not full. Check toilet. You won't see a trickle because a trickle would cycle the pump quite a bit more. We had a drip in a connection and the pump would cycle a little. This happened for 2 years before we found it when it got worse. Drives you crazy until you find it. Otherwise it can be the pump.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote